• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mentally broken after first tourney

So my son met Ezra Robinson down in Atlanta at Little Mulberry. Nice course by the way. Anyhow back to the story. Ezra is solid pro throwing for Prodigy and mentioned this to my son when the subject of a bad throw came up. "The throw is done, you can't change it, let it go. Move on."

"The only throw that matters is the next one"

Gabetjh, how old are you? This isn't a conclusive factor, but it's a factor.

I think your dramatic reaction to a very predictable occurrence conforms to the doctrines of society. You're doing what you've been taught, and the remedies suggested don't aim to really make you better.

You're completely missing the point. You can't do anything about any shot previous to the one you're about to throw, so as far as your mental game, the one you're about to make is all that matters.

I got it. Definitely don't dwell on things that have already happened because there is nothing you can do about it after the fact.

Wasn't meaning to argue that fact.

But technically that last shot that you shouldn't dwell on was your next shot before you threw it.

I think your dramatic reaction to a very predictable occurrence conforms to the doctrines of society. You're doing what you've been taught, and the remedies suggested don't aim to really make you better.

Translation—I got a secret.

Your posts are tinged with the maturity of a five year old. I realize that you take advantage of the average persons good nature to draw them in to your bizarre world, but do you really think this is anything other than your personal admission of a character defect?

Translation—I got a secret.

Your posts are tinged with the maturity of a five year old. I realize that you take advantage of the average persons good nature to draw them in to your bizarre world, but do you really think this is anything other than your personal admission of a character defect?

I've got a lot of character defects. I'm confused by your grammar.

For practicing your disc golf mental game, play the disc golf forum game.. Just as hard! BUT don't feed the trolls. Be strong! Can you resist the urge and not crumble?

Trying to avoid being cryptic...

I think that having a healthy context for life helps people deal with little disappointments like a mildly below average round of frisbee tossing. The complaint is overused, but the self-worship of modern people, especially young ones, has made a real difference in their ability to handle emotions.

To be possibly even more backward, It's hard to imagine my dad, or anyone of his "cultural generation" being emotionally crippled by anything as trivial as a hobby. I think this is because they were healthier people in some important ways. Maybe I'm trying to create an ideal of emotional health to fit my own values and ignoring some important facts...

It was cruel to say your predicament was funny. But it is absurd, like much of life. I hope you do well.

I think it was Climo that opined about how little of your time in competition is spent actually throwing a disc. Three or four times a hole, for 15 or 20 seconds? The rest is a walk in the woods with some people you met. Focus your energy on those few short intervals and strive to enjoy the walk. Kenny and I share the the concept, sadly very little of the game part.

I think it was Climo that opined about how little of your time in competition is spent actually throwing a disc. Three or four times a hole, for 15 or 20 seconds? The rest is a walk in the woods with some people you met. Focus your energy on those few short intervals and strive to enjoy the walk. Kenny and I share the the concept, sadly very little of the game part.

Similarly but in contrast too, I focus my energy on the walk and try to enjoy the short intervals of flight. It's not worth being outside for hours just to throw discs. Make the time out there count for something. Look around.

Similarly but in contrast too, I focus my energy on the walk and try to enjoy the short intervals of flight. It's not worth being outside for hours just to throw discs. Make the time out there count for something. Look around.

Many of my best tournament rounds involve a considerable amount of looking for arrowheads or mushrooms. Helps to not fatigue the mind over dg by not focusing on it when it is not the matter at hand.

Many of my best tournament rounds involve a considerable amount of looking for arrowheads or mushrooms. Helps to not fatigue the mind over dg by not focusing on it when it is not the matter at hand.

Totally love looking around and vibing with nature during my rounds; however, I cannot look for both mushrooms AND disc golf...both pursuits suffer greatly, and I'm apt to just wander off because xyz area "might be fungusy..." :D

Birds, trees, other edibles like berries...all good. But mushrooms....*wanders away mumbling about maitake*

How do you do this and still watch your card mates throw without being slow as molasses?

I used to play baseball with a kid who picked daisy's in the outfield. Spoiler...he never saw the fly ball coming.

Play shot by shot, not round by round or even hole by hole. Some of my favorite moments aren't parking for a bird but saving for par (or worse).

The things I'm not seeing in your post that, to me, are important to know.

1. Were the rounds the same day or different days?
2. If they were on the same day....do you normally play two rounds in one day?
If they were different days....do you normally play two days in a row?

When I started playing tourneys, I found I really sucked the second round, even if it was the same course. Then I realized that I was getting tired/sore since I normally didn't play two rounds in one day or even two consecutive rounds. Now I try to get in two rounds in one day at least once a month so I stay used to it.

The rounds were on the same day, and its my first time playing 2 round in a day.

At the end of the day i was pretty exhausted both physically and mentally. That might have been one of the factors as well.

Im 30. But i do get your point.

thank you all for your comments i didnt expect to have so many replies! I was probably too hard on myself as well. I took a few days off disc golf and went out on my course with my girlfriend today and enjoyed my time. Now im practicing on integrating an x step on my throws so it feels like im starting from scratch. I will definitely join more tourneys and learn to get my mental game up on point!

Last edited:
How do you do this and still watch your card mates throw without being slow as molasses?

Looking for stuff is a pretty passive activity that occurs primarily while walking. Being too focused on it reduces effectiveness imo. The key is to "look" and "not look" at the same time. Yesterday for example I was on site at a future course doing design work but came home with several pounds of mushrooms while "not looking" for them.

Even if a player takes their full 30 seconds on every single shot (which almost literally no one does) that still makes their time spent "throwing" around a half hour per round. Multiply that by 4 and you wind up with 2 hours of time dedicated to dg during a round tops. Generally rounds take much longer than that- plenty of time to do other stuff.

Last edited:
Tournament

I have been playing for almost 15 years and I think the last tourney I played actually wrecked me. I have had no desire to play tourneys lately and I have played over 150 of them. I am not giving up completely, just need some time before I come back to the game.

The rounds were on the same day, and its my first time playing 2 round in a day.

At the end of the day i was pretty exhausted both physically and mentally. That might have been one of the factors as well.
Definitely! This alone can be explanation enough for the bad second round.

Now im practicing on integrating an x step on my throws so it feels like im starting from scratch. I will definitely join more tourneys and learn to get my mental game up on point!
Practice those things, but in a tournament, don't experiment with the newest technique changes, but play the way that you know it works for you. Use it in tournaments only when you feel confident with the new technique and you know it works consistent.