• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mentally broken after first tourney

It took me a little over a year before I entered a weekly mini as rec, and I just wanted to not embarrass myself. Took second and moved to IM after that.

Gotta say OPs result is not a surprise after playing 3 months, being mentally wrecked by it is kinda dramatic though.

I waited a year to stink it up. Can't imagine how bad it would have been at 3 months.

Playing minis/leagues is a great way to bridge the gap between casual play and tournaments.

Gotta ask yourself what you really want out of this hobby. Absolutely nothing wrong with just going to the course and playing casually with no intentions to compete.

This is a good post. It took me a while to realize that paying money to play a too-long round of disc golf with strangers is not something I want to do very often.

I waited a year to stink it up. Can't imagine how bad it would have been at 3 months.

Playing minis/leagues is a great way to bridge the gap between casual play and tournaments.

Yeah I played for years as a kid for fun and always steered clear of the "pro" crowd.. They took too long.

I'd been back into it for a little while before I joined Sunday doubles, did decent. Especially as a LHBH player, but that first tournament I was not prepared for solo play. The stuff that made me awesome as a dubs partner was not what it took to play solo. Lotta bird to bogey. Too many ace runs to par.

"The only throw that matters is the next one"

To demonstrate that this kind of talk is by now platitudinous, I recall a passage from quite a while back:

When remedies are past, the griefs are ended
By seeing the worst, which late on hopes depended.
To mourn a mischief that is past and gone
Is the next way to draw new mischief on.
What cannot be preserved when fortune takes,
Patience her injury a mock'ry makes.
The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief.
He robs himself that spends a bootless grief.

That this kind of talk was probably platitudinous even in 1604 is suggested by the suffering Brabantio's irritable response.

Others have sort of alluded to it, but I'll just come right out and emphasize it.

Tournament play and casual rounds are really different kinds of experiences. People can enjoy both, but if they do, it's probably for different reasons. Some people prefer one or the other, nothing wrong with that. Problem comes when people expect one to be like the other...inevitably they are disappointed.

Anyway, it's good to keep them separate in your mind, and in your expectations. Comparing your casual rounds to your tournament results is apples and oranges.

Yeah I played for years as a kid for fun and always steered clear of the "pro" crowd.. They took too long.

I'd been back into it for a little while before I joined Sunday doubles, did decent. Especially as a LHBH player, but that first tournament I was not prepared for solo play. The stuff that made me awesome as a dubs partner was not what it took to play solo. Lotta bird to bogey. Too many ace runs to par.

I was playing a lot of dubs back then as well. Playing solo is very different.

To demonstrate that this kind of talk is by now platitudinous, I recall a passage from quite a while back:

When remedies are past, the griefs are ended
By seeing the worst, which late on hopes depended.
To mourn a mischief that is past and gone
Is the next way to draw new mischief on.
What cannot be preserved when fortune takes,
Patience her injury a mock'ry makes.
The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief.
He robs himself that spends a bootless grief.

That this kind of talk was probably platitudinous even in 1604 is suggested by the suffering Brabantio's irritable response.

You seem to have disdain for the notion that not everything is complex.

Life has infinite variables and thus seems infinitely complex if you choose to try to grasp all those infinite variables.

Sports attempt to distill life to a simplified structure (rules) and therefore simplified ideas (platitudes) are foundational to success.

And then sports can teach us that we can be more successful in life when we simplify things to the most critical variables and narrow our focus to achieve a desired outcome.

Platitudinous it may seem, but it might just be true and appropriate to the situation.

You seem to have disdain for the notion that not everything is complex.

Life has infinite variables and thus seems infinitely complex if you choose to try to grasp all those infinite variables.

Sports attempt to distill life to a simplified structure (rules) and therefore simplified ideas (platitudes) are foundational to success.

And then sports can teach us that we can be more successful in life when we simplify things to the most critical variables and narrow our focus to achieve a desired outcome.

Platitudinous it may seem, but it might just be true and appropriate to the situation.

"Nothing is simple,
Not even simplification.
Thus, throwing away the mail,
I exchange the complexity of duty
For the simplicity of guilt"

-WB

"Nothing is simple,
Not even simplification.

-WB

So, if someone offers a positive or optimistic view, it's tedious platitudes.

If someone takes something positive and says it's still sh!t, you find it interesting and thought provoking.

AP, you are glass half empty dude who says it doesn't matter whether it's half empty or it's half full because it taste like piss.

I told you my opinion previously and it's more apparent to me with each interaction. I hope you will consider what I suggested.

"Nothing is simple,
Not even simplification.

-WB
So, if someone offers a positive or optimistic view, it's tedious platitudes.

You two kinda reminds me of the Matthew Good song...

"Picture yourself, at the MGM Grand.... Murphy is fighting Ahkam, you're in the stands"

(Just so you don't have to reach or google too far... Murphy's Law vs Ahkam's Razor of Truth.)

Last edited:

"Picture yourself, at the MGM Grand.... Murphy is fighting Ahkam, you're in the stands"

(Just so you don't have to reach or google too far... Murphy's Law vs Ahkam's Razor of Truth.)

That's a strange battle.

That's a strange battle.

Well Murphy's law basically boils down to it's never easy. "What can go wrong will go wrong"

Ahkam is the simplest answer is the most likely.

Me thinks Matt good took a philosophy class and sat in a bar.

Hey so shades of triple Crown past.... Showed up, a couple people were talking about how they didn't want to play with " " again haha. After I posted here I found out that it was this weekend...

Played decent, hit the hole where I got the bogey "last year), got a little shaky missed the bird, feeling some nerves for par.

Threw a roller for par, feeling good, toss a couple birds, mental game recovered.....

Last hole, tree chip and down under the big rock (same as last time). No biggie I try a BH out even though it's tight and I know my bodies not lined up but..... Tree, roll back to same place, try again tree but further up, games falling apart heading for bogey. Miss but stick on top. Took a 5. Glad it was the last hole and I didn't have time to melt down further. :D

Damned to repeat history I guess. I was worried but I won again with a weirdly similar finish.

i don't see the comparison at all

not that we really need a cute analogy for feathers ruffled over erudition and unfamiliar perspectives

fyi, it's Occam's Razor

stoned … bar

Pretty sure the mentally altered part was already covered. Unless we are going to argue about the relative effects of weed, alcohol, or the combination thereof.

But I digress … what if Poe and Godwin fought it out? Obviously that would be an epic battle of good vs. evil to rival WW2.

I just started playing probably around 3 months ago. 1st round is a short wooded course which does not have permanent baskets but i managed to do a few practice rounds before the tourney. 2nd round is a course that has permanent baskets and I play in that course probably 4-5 times a week.

During the 1st round tourney i had my PB and did pretty well. However during my 2nd round tourney i had so many OBs and missed putts. I usually average around +8/+9 but i had +14 where i ended up on the last place in the tourney. After the 1st OB i just brushed it off and thought it was just bad luck and continued playing. After the 2nd and 3rd OB i just gave up and wanted to end the round ASAP. Missed 3 putts in circle 1 where my discs just kept hitting the base of the basket. I was mentally broken after that round.

After a couple of days I just kept thinking about the holes and the OB scenarios kept playing in my head. Was pretty depressed at myself after spending so much time practicing.

How can i strengthen my mental game during my future tourneys? How can i overcome what i am feeling right now? Maybe tourneys arent for me and i should just stick to recreational play.

I just had a really bad tournament round. Now, I'm not a great player by any means whatsoever....I had just gotten my rating up to 679, which was a 48 point improvement, and now my ratings going to drop a bunch. I won't know how much my rating will actually drop until next month. But I had a two day tournament with two rounds each day. We played on my home course. Yeah, the second day it poured for the first round and discs were slippery. But I just played bad each day. Had lots of fun....but played bad.

What I took away from this tournament was that I play two different ways:

league/casual - no pressure, really just having fun with friends. I don't try to force shots.
tournaments - pressure (even if it is only from me), still having fun. I try to force shots. I take routes that I wouldn't take in league/casual play. I try to throw harder to get more distance.

I need to either start playing tournaments like I do league/casual rounds (would be nice, but not likely yet)....or start playing league/casual rounds like tournament rounds - I can do this. I'm going to start betting a cardmate that I can beat them. They get $5 if I lose to them. I think that will put pressure on me to do my best and if I can control myself to not go for the "hero" shots...I'll be in good shape and will eventually be able to do the same in tournaments.

For you....figure out what is the difference between your play in practice and your play in tournaments. Is it just the added pressure of trying to do the absolute best so you end up higher in the tournament rankings? Are you actually taking lines/routes that you wouldn't in regular play? Are you going for the 'hero' shots?

Money always makes me play differently, it also sours my mood when I'm down 5-$10.. I actually try to avoid it even though my odds are good to cash out. I don't want other people's money, I make good wages. Really good wages. I have actually tried to escape before where I run out to the parking lot and leave as long as I have + skins haha.
Wanted to do that Friday, took 5 skins on a lone ace.. I was getting bitter before that Haha. I told em to keep the ace money, I wanted to buy that one since I wanted it so bad.. They wouldn't let me.

I tried different shots this Saturday tournament, quite the opposite of "hero" shots. I tee'd up on 9 and said hmmm time for something completely different, the guys were like "not in a tournament!". I can ace run etc usually with an envy but half the time that leaves me deep, or the skip leaves me deep, I was playing dubs but shooting first. I tossed my spin on a gentle hyzer instead for a 3ft tap in. Repeated that on a few holes, nothing wrong with "par"k

Last edited:

Latest posts