• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange approach shots

discinvan

Par Member
I'm having a difficult time finding a comfortable grip throwing my midrange disc and driving with my putter. With the disc shape i often get grip lock. My approaches and drives between 50' and 200' are usually going way left or way right. All the videos and discussions i find are how to increase distance or how to putt. Does anyone have any suggestions on midrange shots. I don't have a real long drive yet so I need a good approach to come in with par.

I drive my putter and mids with a fan grip and keep my pointer finger out under the rim for added accuracy. Kinda like throwing a beach frisbee.
For Drivers I use the fork grip.

I throw forehand so I cant say from personal experience, but a few of the guys i play with use a duce power grip. This is where you grip the disc like a power grip, but only with your two middle fingers. (well ring finger and middle finger) And put the other fingers either flat or put your index finger under the rim. It actually works rather well and will help with your release. especially if your fingers are catching while using the regular power grip on your upshots.

Give it a shot ..................... hope it helps
Just remember that when you try a new grip it will always feel weird so you have to give it a chance. Dont just try it a few times and discard it.
$CR33D$

Last edited:
I throw forehand so I cant say from personal experience, but a few of the guys i play with use a duce power grip. This is where you grip the disc like a power grip, but only with your two middle fingers. (well ring finger and middle finger) And put the other fingers either flat or put your index finger under the rim. It actually works rather well and will help with your release. especially if your fingers are catching while using the regular power grip on your upshots.

Give it a shot ..................... hope it helps
Just remember that when you try a new grip it will always feel weird so you have to give it a chance. Dont just try it a few times and discard it.
$CR33D$

I actually do the opposite grip of what Evil Poizon described, with my middle and ring fingers fanned out, while my pinky and index are gripping tight. i don't think my way is the best though. I would say to go out in a field, grab some midranges, and just try different grips. and don't just go with the first one that works. try a few. mess around with them. have fun practicing. have confidence.

Also, you stated that you had problems because of the rims on midranges. if that's true, you might want to try wrapping your index finger around the rim. you might sacrifice a little distance, but you could (I would think you should) gain a good amount of accuracy.

the main thing is to just experiment. try throwing it like you throw your putter. try throwing it like your drivers. if experimenting doesn't work, come back and ask s'more. you'll figure it out.

I use the Ken Climo grip. It really works well for mids and putters. In fact, I was a sidearmer and decided to work on backhand about a month ago. I was erratic especially with the mids, so I started focusing on form and grip. You would be surprised at how well you will begin to drive once you learn to throw the mids and putters. You need to spend some time just throwing the putters and really focusing on getting good snap and eliminating any off axis torque. You should be able to drive with the putters almost as well as the drivers with a little work.

Most midranges don't actually perform all that well at those distances. I'd work on getting your putter to cover those shots instead. I use more of a "control" grip for those types of shots. Basically, at those distances you're playing catch with the basket. A great way to practice those shots is to play catch with a friend. Work on throwing different lines and try to avoid your friend having to move.

Once you get to the course throw to a pretend friend and move him around based on what the disc will do after it gets to his torso. For straight shots, pretend your friend is standing in front of and to the right of the basket (for a RHBH shot). For big hyzers and anhzyers you can pretend he's closer to the basket if you want to make a run at it.

If I have that problem I slow down my arm speed and pick up some on my wrist speed. I started getting away from my mids at those ranges and am using either star Aviars or star Aeros. The aero from innova is great for longer range and even if you drive past the basket it will stop quicly without rolling away.

midrange shots are probably the strongest & most consistent part of my game. My grip is slightly different from the ones mentioned so far -- i grip with my index & middle finger flat on the rim and the other two (ring/pinkie) fanned out on the bottom of the disc. Works well for me to throw putter & midranges accurately to ~300'. I grip lock if I try throwing mids/putters with a power grip -- definitely try more of a control grip and you'll have better results.

I'm having a difficult time finding a comfortable grip throwing my midrange disc and driving with my putter. With the disc shape i often get grip lock. My approaches and drives between 50' and 200' are usually going way left or way right. All the videos and discussions i find are how to increase distance or how to putt. Does anyone have any suggestions on midrange shots. I don't have a real long drive yet so I need a good approach to come in with par.

1) Buy a DX Skeeter.

2) Look at your target and don't take your eyes off.

3) Use the same grip you drive with, (hopefully a power grip), because you need the spin.

4) The disc will land close to where you want it too.

5) If it does'nt work, repeat steps 2 through 4 until it does.

Latest posts