• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mini Disc Golf Federation

Doofenshmirtz

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
At my last tournament, I held a mini long drive competition. Some of the players were using the MVP Macro Teslas and bombing. One of the players told me that that was "illegal." After chuckling a little, I told them that I hadn't restricted the competition to anything other than a PDGA Legal Mini, which I made clear before the tournament. But, wondering where this had come from, I did a Google search and found the "Mini Disc Golf Federation." The website contains no info about any "federation" but does have rules form mini disc golf competitions. So, is this just some guy with a website proclaiming a set of rules or is there some actual governing body that develops mini disc golf rules and standards?

Isn't the Macro too large in diameter to be a legal mini according to PDGA standards? I know the Mini Discraft molds were, but the Tesla's a little smaller diameter.

Donnie Brooks is the founder of mini disc golf. It's especially popular in the lancaster, Pennsylvania region, where he has his own course and campground (Beaver Creek in Strasbourg PA). I had the fantastic fortune to meet him and he couldn't be any nicer.

As far as the federation, it does have a following, again with most members in the lancaster area, but per Donnie there is a growing Washington state population.

The rules for mini disc golf are a bit different, and a background of the variation as well as rules can be found at minidiscgolf.com

To directly answer the question, the Tesla macros are indeed illegal for mini disc golf, as they are too big.

If the TD says you can use a PDGA legal mini marker, it opens up a wide range of objects like say a hockey puck and the Tesla or the several other 15cm maxi-minis on the market that meet the 7cm-15cm diameter and 3cm max height requirements. But if the TD says the mini must be PDGA legal for playing minigolf, then you look to the MDGF standards which does not include the 15cm maxi-minis.

Is there a difference?

Yes and it has to do with legitimacy. One guy is not a "federation." If that is a lie (and I make no such assertion) - and it's just one guy - then whether anything he publishes is worthy of deference is a legitimate question.

All standards start out as just some guy.

Standards are, typically, established through practice or promulgated by a person or group with some type of authority, either legal, traditional or charismatic. Many times, they are established by mere adoption of accepted practice or custom. While "just some guy" may propose a change in a standard, e.g. the change in the definition of par to something unrecognizable to those who understand the current concept of par, that proposed changed definition doesn't become a standard until it is adopted by a legitimate authority.

In any event, the MDGF rules don't apply to, provide or allow for long drive contests.

Check out my signature - MDGF #.00125

We have rules, a governing body, and pretty much proportional to the amount of members as to how big the 'governing body' and the need to clear up 'rules questions'

However it's pretty clear that 4.5 inches is the maximum size for a mini disc for mini disc golf play.

And don't get me started on using JUNIOR size baskets for MINI disc golf events...

There are now 4 size classes out there: (except the can topper Pico)
Mini Discs <= 4.5"
Junior Discs 4.5" to about 6.5"
Disc Golf Discs the stuff around 8 to like 9.5" Zephyr like stuff?
Ultimate Discs at 10.75"

I wanted to see if I could make a Distance Record type 4.5" mini, so I did :) and if you have the arm to compete in distance competitions, the Dragonfly will blow your friends little innova marker mini away

Last edited:
This topic came up when the PDGA Technical standards were updated.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3356822#post3356822

It was suggested the reference to MDGF is an FYI rather than the PDGA granting them any authority. I think we should use the PDGA standards for mini sizes instead of confusing people with some other organization that uses English units when everything else in disc golf is Metric.

MDGF = #NotMyMiniDiscOrganization

This topic came up when the PDGA Technical standards were updated.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3356822#post3356822

It was suggested the reference to MDGF is an FYI rather than the PDGA granting them any authority. I think we should use the PDGA standards for mini sizes instead of confusing people with some other organization that uses English units when everything else in disc golf is Metric.

MDGF = #NotMyMiniDiscOrganization

Just because Mini Disc Golf is a fringe of a fringe sport doesn't mean it's a free-for-all. Also, I think blurring the lines does a disservice to what each class could be.

Disc Golf is fun. Junior Disc golf is fun. Mini Disc Golf is fun. They also feel different from each other. That's why there are 3 classes of Basket Size, and 3 classes of Disc Size.

Manufacturers also have drawn this distinction. They are going to make the 5.9" (15cm) stuff so they can sell lots of them as "PDGA LEGAL MINI" but they also are for a different purpose than mini disc golf play. They are also simultaneously marketing them for Junior Disc Golf.

Have you ever tried to put a 6" Junior disc in a Mini basket? It barely even fits in there, let alone being able to catch them well.

From MVP:
The Macro Tesla is an 80g and 15cm diameter version of the famed MVP Tesla driver, designed for Macro Disc Golf with the upcoming Black Hole® Macro Basket. Macro discs conform to the PDGA maximum diameter for mini markers, but are much easier to grip and throw naturally than mini discs. The Macro Tesla has plenty of stability to handle a full-bore rip, and has been tested at extraordinary distances by our design team.

The Black Hole® Macro is designed to be the best Macro Disc Golf basket on the market. The 39-inch basket is designed in the Black Hole® style but built for our 15 cm Macro discs.

From Dynamic:
The Dynamic Discs Junior line of discs are a scaled down version of their full-size counterparts, and they are designed to fly with similar flight characteristics. With surprising stability and glide, the Junior line of discs are a ton of fun to throw. We've designed the Junior Recruit basket specifically to catch them well. When paired with the Junior Recruit basket, Junior discs are great for setting up a small, fun course around your house, yard, or office, or even to introduce younger children to the sport of disc golf.

The Junior Recruit is designed to exactly mimic its bigger counterpart in the ever popular Recruit basket. ... Coming in at just under 3' tall and 18" wide, the Junior Recruit is a perfect fit for an office, a playroom, or even a classroom all while pairing perfectly with our newly released line of Junior discs!

Just because Mini Disc Golf is a fringe of a fringe sport doesn't mean it's a free-for-all. Also, I think blurring the lines does a disservice to what each class could be.

PDGA calls everything 15cm and below a "Mini" marker. Discraft calls the mini versions of their larger discs "Mini". MVP calls them "Macro". DD calls them "Junior". MDGF says the max mini size is 4.5". No Junior/Macro Disc Golf Federation organization exists.

I think we can consider the lines blurred.

OPs long drive competition is a great example of the confusion. I say keep it simple. A mini as defined by the PDGA is a mini.

PDGA calls everything 15cm and below a "Mini" marker. Discraft calls the mini versions of their larger discs "Mini". MVP calls them "Macro". DD calls them "Junior". MDGF says the max mini size is 4.5". No Junior/Macro Disc Golf Federation organization exists.

I think we can consider the lines blurred.

OPs long drive competition is a great example of the confusion. I say keep it simple. A mini as defined by the PDGA is a mini.

The interest of the PDGA is to define what a marker is. The PDGA doesn't have any rules regarding mini disc golf or Junior disc golf play.
So I disagree that the PDGA mention should be used to define either sport of junior or mini disc golf but rather a definition of what can be used as a marker.

Then, the TD is responsible to explain what type of competition he is running. If it's a disc golf event, the TD is probably going to be following PDGA rules. If I am running a mini event, I am specifying MDGF rules.

Last edited:
The PDGA has crowned World Minigolf Champs at Worlds in several am and pro divisions since forever and have used the MDGF rules for those competitions. So I would say the MDGF rules have been legitimated as a result.