• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minnesota Majestic

From what I heard, someone in Cat's group went OB on that hole today and went to the drop zone. Cat then asked and realized that she should have gone there yesterday. Under current PDGA rules, any score corrections can be made in any previous round until the tournament is declared over.

That actually does makes sense now. Thanks for that info Chuck.

I will answer a few questions...
1. Additional commentary. Yes, we could have commentary on the 2nd card to give it more substance. But, currently we choose to go with a 2 man crew on 1 camera to give Terry a breather at times. And the only way it is possible to have a "booth" setup is if I am onsite sending those shots to the booth. And I work where there is lots of bandwidth, usually parks are not that place. So we have currently ruled out a booth for now. But, there are thoughts and plans in the future.

2. 2nd card on YouTube? I think it might be possible to deliver a RAW feed of the 2nd card to YouTube. The equipment we have sends the signal to a server, and then I grab the feed from that server. If the server could ALSO send it to YouTube, you COULD have a very raw feed of whatever the cameraman is doing. This would include ALL the walking, and NO graphics. But it could be useful if we have a 2nd commentator. It wouldn't be any additional 4G bandwidth. But would cost us some bandwidth at our datacenter (way cheaper than 4G). So the 4G costs are still there, but they are not doubled thankfully. Would something like this be liked in a VERY RAW format? Heck, maybe we could even charge for that raw feed??? hahah (no one would pay)

3. I have thought about doing a doublebox view. I would have to create a cool graphic and throw the shots over them. Maybe I will look at doing that sometime in the next few weeks. It would look way better. I just wouldn't make them equal size, I do still want to "highlight" the primary card over the secondary card. But the background could still be prettier.

4. Anon... Thanks. You have been critical of our coverage (in a good way) in the past. I am glad that you liked what you saw this time around.

Spoiler alert dont read if you did not finish MPO yet.

I feel so bad for Sexton. To miss 2 close puts at the end of such a close race and one for the win, just a shame. I bet there will be some sleep lost over this. "Gotta want it" at it's most extreme :wall: :wall:

I am really "split" on the split screen coverage. It doesn't work very well when the smaller screen is showing drives, but I DO want to show that bonus card specifically when someone may be doing well on that card (such as Doss was). It works a lot better with putts. Maybe I need to adjust the sizing of the shots? But with the simultaneous action, we are usually watching both cards throw or something. Plus, I would hate to miss an Ace and not be able to show it to the viewers if I had a chance. With a crap-ton more of money we could afford one of those fancy recording devices that would let me cue up any shot we have. But it isn't realistic for us at this point.

I also like showing the split screen when the hole they are playing is heavily wooded and blind. Because I think it gives a viewer a perspective on what the thrower is seeing. Plus with the heavily wooded shots, I never know how far a player will get down the fairway if the 2nd cam will even be able to find it if it hits early.

I did like the split screen at the end during the playoff because I want to get the player's reactions to their shots without flipping back and forth quickly.

Open to thoughts and suggestions. I know the split screen doesn't work well with mobile devices.
I thought the split screen or corner screen is good only for the same hole. When the split screen was moved to the other card coverage I got confused a few times, and it was more distracting and tiring trying to watch both(watcher fatigue).

Spoiler alert dont read if you did not finish MPO yet.

I feel so bad for Sexton. To miss 2 close puts at the end of such a close race and one for the win, just a shame. I bet there will be some sleep lost over this. "Gotta want it" at it's most extreme :wall: :wall:

My thoughts exactly. Sexton is hands down my favorite pro, so much so it made me mad at him for blowing it, if that makes sense. Like when your favorite sports team implodes in the final minutes of a game. Genuinely feel bad for the guy, I'm sure he'll bounce back tho.

Gotta want it, to me, means focusing on succeeding rather than fearing failure, and I couldn't agree more that he didn't want it. He appeared to let negative thoughts creep in during those last few holes.

I thought the split screen or corner screen is good only for the same hole. When the split screen was moved to the other card coverage I got confused a few times, and it was more distracting and tiring trying to watch both(watcher fatigue).

Totally understand. Which is why I put the "Bonus Card" tag on it. But I can get it if you were still confused. It wasn't clearly defined ahead of time. Our "Bonus Card" cameraman was a brand new guy we were working with because the normal Pro Tour guy got caught up in TX in some big storm and couldn't make it. So, we were talking him through a few things on the fly. But I think he did a decent job for the first time, and throwing him into the live bucket.

I did just test that I COULD send a raw feed of the 2nd card to an additional YouTube feed if we really wanted to. I am undecided if this is an avenue that we would pursue or not. If we ever got a 2nd commentator, it could be something that we have as an option.

Something to consider for tiebreakers is switching honors every 2 holes like they switch servers in tennis tiebreaks. Ricky had to throw first every hole and it could have easily gone past 6 holes in this case. In sudden death, you're not really playing the course anymore but playing the other player in match play.

Something to consider for tiebreakers is switching honors every 2 holes like they switch servers in tennis tiebreaks. Ricky had to throw first every hole and it could have easily gone past 6 holes in this case. In sudden death, you're not really playing the course anymore but playing the other player in match play.

In match play, you don't switch honors unless a hole is won or lost, same as stroke play. No reason to change that. I'd rather see a more diverse set of holes used in a playoff loop like that. With the two holes chosen for this playoff and the caliber of players involved, there was really zero opportunity for either to separate themselves with a good shot. They were both relegated to waiting until the other guy made an error. I suppose in the end it took a great putt by Ricky but it also took Nate missing a very makeable putt to end it. I'd have rather seen Ricky make a great shot to trump a good shot by Nate (or vice versa).

Doesn't make match play tiebreakers right, just traditional. And a single hole playoff introduces more flukiness versus 2 or more, but that's another discussion somewhere on here. It's become more common to switch things up for tiebreaks in college football, tennis mentioned earlier, badminton, chess series switching black/white. Doesn't seem fair to force one player to continue teeing off first when a playoff is multiple 1-hole rounds versus an 18-hole round where honors will switch around, even if they were tied going into the last round. Plus, you're trying to find ways to fairly break the tie and switching tee order could help that.

Last edited:

Doesn't make match play tiebreakers right, just traditional. And a single hole playoff introduces more flukiness versus 2 or more, but that's another discussion somewhere on here. It's become more common to switch things up for tiebreaks in college football, tennis mentioned earlier, badminton, chess series switching black/white. Doesn't seem fair to force one player to continue teeing off first when a playoff is multiple 1-hole rounds versus an 18-hole round where honors will switch around, even if they were tied going into the last round. Plus, you're trying to find ways to fairly break the tie and switching tee order could help that.

I am 100% with you on this Chuck. To me this is one of the most obvious rules changes that need to happen. In fact, I'd like to see it done this way -- tiebreakers will remain sudden death, but there will be a coin flip to determine teeing order, with the winner of the flip choosing his/her order of tee-off on the first playoff hole. If multiple players, then you continue flipping for each spot in the order. Also, I'd make it mandatory to TDs that playoffs have an odd number of holes. Then the teeing order will rotate with each subsequent hole if no winner is determined.

Also, I'd make it mandatory to TDs that playoffs have an odd number of holes. Then the teeing order will rotate with each subsequent hole if no winner is determined.
Why would having 1 hole for a playoff always be better than having 2 playoff holes - if it even makes it past the first playoff hole? Why shouldn't the PDGA just mandate to play the course in order for a playoff? :\

I think the TD is best to determine the course/event playoff holes rather than some bureaucratic formula.

Steve West posted something a while back indicating it didn't really matter what way tiebreaks were done to determine the "best" player. In which case, I'd be in favor of doing tiebreakers in lower tier events like bag tags where the lower rated player of the 2 or 3 has to win outright or the higher rated player wins the tie. If both have the same rating, then whoever had the best score on the toughest course (highest SSA) played or the only course played. If still tied then lowest PDGA number wins the tie. Done. No need to take extra time to play any holes. This simple process could also be done to break ties lower than first for trophies. Easier for TDs and less time for players waiting around for awards.

Last edited:
I wanna add that Terry' interview with Rick right after the playoff was excellent. I'm comparing it directly to the awkward interview Avery conducted with Rick right after the European Masters.

After the playoff at The Majestic, Terry actually conducted a give-and-take interview and listened to what Rick had to say and then followed up like a professional. And the camera showed both Terry and Rick conversing, and Rick looked at Terry while he was being interviewed, like a real sports interview. I've never seen Rick as comfortable doing media than he was in this interview. He expressed his excitement but also provided interesting details on specific shots and moments during the tournament and the final round and playoff, specifically - like that incredible 60 foot bomb putt for his 3p for the win. And I'm not one of the folks who thinks he has a problem speaking in public to begin with either.

In contrast, in Järva, for his post-victory interview, after Rick won the European Master, Avery delivered some half-baked observations before posing to Rick some vague non-question like "how'd it go down?" Then the camera left Avery and closed in tight on Rick only leaving Rick to stare awkwardly into the lens and stammer through whatever sports platitudes and bromides he could manage to remember after being put on the spot like that.

Avery was interviewing Rick - ask him a specific question then face him during the answer and interview him like every other professional sports broadcaster working in sports - don't pose some open-ended request to speak and then turn him away from you and make him face the camera that was two feet from his face to tell everyone directly "how it went down" right after he won such an exhilarating tournament.

It was painful as hell to watch and made me feel bad for Rick, after what was an incredible performance, especially after his drive on 18 rolling out of bounds before hitting a tree and stopping and then making that incredible up shot from his knees for the win. Rick's upshot might be my top shot of the year, so far.

Great coverage guys and girls(?)... I literally punched the air, jumped out of my chair and pulled out a bit of hair multiple times during this coverage! Yes it did get a bit monotonous playing the same two holes over and over again, but I wager sudden death playoffs rarely go six holes(?), meaning: let it(the status quo) ride for now imo
Now about Nates' misfortune...it was clearly the- '"soft course" comment curse' come back to haunt him.

Last edited:

Latest posts