• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Mortar vs. MD4

stun

Par Member
Has anyone thrown both? Similarities? Differences? Preference for forehand or backhand?

The biggest difference is that the mortar is standard diameter like a putter while the md4 is larger diameter like other mids. I haven't thrown the md4, but I've got a couple years experience with a mortar. For me, the mortar(and gator) are like really stout putters than mids. They work better than the more traditional overstable mids like a buzzz os or verdict on thumbers, and I slightly prefer the mortar or gator for both forehand and backhand upshots as well. For full on drives, my preference between a mortar and an md4 would depend on whether the md4 is closer in stability to a verdict or the buzzz os I had. The buzzz os I had wouldn't get me more distance than a mortar, but verdicts definitely do. I'd bet that an md4 would, too.

The Mortar is basically a beadless gator, it's very overstable with very low glide. As jjmiller stated it will be like a putter in distance. I use mine almost exclusively for approaches. I don't really throw it full power honestly, there are so many other ways to get 300 feet of distance more reliably.

The MD4 has slightly more HSS than the MD3 or Roc3, with about the same LSS. It will have acceptable midrange distance but with slightly less glide you won't throw it as far as a Wasp, MD3, Roc3, etc. It will fade reliably and handle all the power you can throw at it, but its not a Gator/Mortar. It's more like a Verdict, although I have only thrown those a handful of times.

I bag the MD4 on really windy days and lean on my MD3s the rest of the time. You could use it as an approach disc, but it won't perform the same hard finish of the mortar/gator. I see no difference at a powered down 200 foot sidearm approach between my MD3 and MD4, but the mortar finishes easily 10 feet further on line.

The Mortar is basically a beadless gator, it's very overstable with very low glide.

The mortars I have (1.3 Recon koling sig) glide a lot more than any other gator I have ever thrown. It's more akin to a very overstable kc pro roc, with a very different feeling rim.