• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most extreme tournaments

DannyM

Eagle Member
Wanted to see what other conditions tourneys around the US have to put up with from time to time. Living in SC it does get HOT, especially in August were it often reaches 100, and factor in the humidity, it gets in the 110+ range. In the state points series we usually don't have many tournaments in August due to the heat, if we do it's usually in the upstate where there are cooler temps, or a water course were you don't mind it as much.
Anyway, the two most extreme that I played
Hottest...August at Govan, SC. Wide open through most of the course, true par 72 disc golf. Hit 103 that day and humidity must have put it in the high 110+. We MUST have been nuts to even finish.
Coldest...Savannah Ga in January. That moring it was JUST at freezing, but factor in the cold sea air and it felt like 20 or colder. The plan was to give out discs for the players pack, but luckily they brought out Innova stocking caps to give out instead. I think the high got to upper 30's.

Last summer there was a 2-day at Bicentennial Park in Crowley, TX...the course has a TON of elevation for a DFW course (believe it or not) and is mostly out in the open. The players had to endure rounds of 30 holes in 107 degree dry Texas heat.

I signed up, then saw the weather forecast, then withdrew :D

I have not played a tourney but I have often played in that type of Texas weather at Crowley and others and have played 108 holes a day for several days in a row. In that kind of heat you just keep drinking the water and gatoraid.

In northern and central Wisconsin (and maybe other places) there are events in late winter sometimes known as "Snow Bowls," where play occurs in however much snow is on the course. Sometimes this is measured in feet rather than inches. I rim my white discs with red sharpie marker for play in the snow. The X step gets a bit complicated...

In northern and central Wisconsin (and maybe other places) there are events in late winter sometimes known as "Snow Bowls," where play occurs in however much snow is on the course. Sometimes this is measured in feet rather than inches. I rim my white discs with red sharpie marker for play in the snow. The X step gets a bit complicated...

we have some courses that stay open year round here in Maine and its like you described in the winter. Playing in the snow!:D We even have one course here that they run a plow down the fairway to keep it open for play lol.

I think I posted this somewhere else but we had to cancel the second round of this year's icebowl in VA due to high wind (read: three or four trees falling down, one right next to a basket I was practicing putting on). It was crazy...

Golf on a ski mountain

I just played in the New Mexico State Doubles Championships. It was held on the side of a mountain in Sipapu New Mexico. 2 of the 3 rounds We had to start on hole 17 which is the highest hole on the course. By the way We got 1st. Matt

we have some courses that stay open year round here in Maine and its like you described in the winter. Playing in the snow!:D We even have one course here that they run a plow down the fairway to keep it open for play lol.

Excellent - we need the snow plow solution!

I just played in the New Mexico State Doubles Championships. It was held on the side of a mountain in Sipapu New Mexico. 2 of the 3 rounds We had to start on hole 17 which is the highest hole on the course. By the way We got 1st. Matt

You gotta love that sipapu course. My in-laws have a cabin a half mile down the road from there. We play every summer and I love it:D

St. Louis

We have an iron Man every year, 6 courses in one day, 7am tee time. Thats 14 hours of driving your discs and driving your car, 3 of the courses are over 7500ft, so ts not a bunch of Par54's strung together, it's Jefferson Barracks, Siouxx Passage, Creve Cour, Endicott, Woodland Park and White Birch, always held on the summer solstace...just finishing is a win.

We have an iron Man every year, 6 courses in one day, 7am tee time. Thats 14 hours of driving your discs and driving your car, 3 of the courses are over 7500ft, so ts not a bunch of Par54's strung together, it's Jefferson Barracks, Siouxx Passage, Creve Cour, Endicott, Woodland Park and White Birch, always held on the summer solstace...just finishing is a win.
Sounds like my kind of tourney. Be even better if you didn't have to get in your car. I love to play all day.

We had our first "local" Ironman this year, but I didn't get to make it, they had it the same day as a point series tournament, and , going for the title, I didn't want to miss it. We have a nine hole course incorporated with a par-3 ball golf/driving range, that is lit up at night. So, they played 3 courses, then finished up on the 9 hole at night under the lights. Hoping they will do it again next year, but on a non-tourney w/e.

Latest posts