• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I see Maple is back off the list. and Phantom is back on.

not sure about all this stuff. but something doesnt seem right.

I would agree that it's likely the guy that hit Phantom with the 2 disc rating you are mentioning had a motive to bring down the rating a notch. That's why I thought it was so amusing when he did it, he clearly made a ballsy move taking a stab at a course like that. I'm not saying I agree with it I'm just saying it's quite amusing he would go so far as to give Phantom a 2. At least he did it in a more respectful manner.

My idea has been to have two voting tiers.

One is allow anyone who's played a course to give a rating without writing a review, a la Urbanspoon, et al. This would allow a lot more votes, and all the good and bad reviews would somewhat cancel out.

The other is to keep the current written-review ratings, but increase the word count for each review. Usually the people writing good reviews are much more objective.

Basically, if you've played a course and want to give a rating, you can do so. If you want to write a good review with your review, you can do that also.

Doing that makes it impossible to sort the honest, well thought out ratings from the ones that only want to push the rating up or down. When there's a review attached, you can see how much thought went into that rating, and make a decision on how much you want to believe it.

I see Maple is back off the list. and Phantom is back on.

not sure about all this stuff. but something doesnt seem right.

It's always funny to me how much people argue about ratings on courses they've never played...

It's always funny to me how much people argue about ratings on courses they've never played...

I am not arguing about the ratings of either course. Im sure they are both great. but to me, Maple Hill should be above a mtn pitch and putt.

Maple Hill should definitely be in the top 10, it is a shame that it is constantly in limbo. Shhhhh, don't tell anybody I said this, but my home course is Tyler and I believe that Maple Hill should be in the top 10 before Tyler. Maple Hill is the best course I have played so far, and I have played a decent amount of awesome courses.

I am not arguing about the ratings of either course. Im sure they are both great. but to me, Maple Hill should be above a mtn pitch and putt.

You're not arguing about the ratings, you're just saying that one course you've never played should be rated above another course you've never played...

I think Mashie's point is how can you really make an informed statement without having played 'em both.

I would add that you're always entitled to your opinions, and your ratings/reviews should reflect them. But the top pick a number list is a compilation of the mass' (perhaps somewhat divisively manipulated) opinions, which may differ slightly or greatly from your own. If the masses think a fun mountain, pitch'nputt is better/worse than ____ so be it, the people have spoken.

I just prefer it when the people speak intelligently, but that's obviously a pipe dream. :rolleyes:

You're not arguing about the ratings, you're just saying that one course you've never played should be rated above another course you've never played...

based on educated information. this is why we have reviews. and based on what I have read about both courses. I can say I would rather play Maple Hill. and that it is more deserving of a spot in the top ten courses in the WORLD than a pitch n putt.

based on educated information. this is why we have reviews. and based on what I have read about both courses. I can say I would rather play Maple Hill. and that it is more deserving of a spot in the top ten courses in the WORLD than a pitch n putt.

I'm not saying I disagree with your conclusion, I'm saying that I would never emphatically post that since I haven't played both courses. I make personal judgements on which courses I would rather play based on reviews and pictures all the time, but I never feel that those judgements are worth using in an argument about which course should actually be rated higher.

I'm not saying I disagree with your conclusion, I'm saying that I would never emphatically post that since I haven't played both courses. I make personal judgements on which courses I would rather play based on reviews and pictures all the time, but I never feel that those judgements are worth using in an argument about which course should actually be rated higher.

Clearly all my posts are emphatic in some fashion. so thats solves that problem. secondly, how many A tiers are played on a pitch n putt course?

is a course where you dont need a driver really a World class course?

I dont need to play the courses to come to this conclusion. and as New pointed out, if not for the drive by reviewers it wouldnt have such a high rating anyways. and this argument wouldnt even be needed.

secondly, how many A tiers are played on a pitch n putt course?
Depends I suppose where you think "pitch n putt" begins, but an A tier is a result of the organization of people who run them, not the courses they are played on. There are around 60-70 of them on the PDGA calendar annually. I doubt they are all played on Maple Hill caliber layouts.

is a course where you dont need a driver really a World class course?
It can be. There's more to golf than driving.

I dont need to play the courses to come to this conclusion.
Which just makes your conclusion bigoted. Seemingly pitch and putt distances are a different beast when there's elevation involved. Sorry, but you simply can't say what a course is like until you've actually played it.

and as New pointed out, if not for the drive by reviewers it wouldnt have such a high rating anyways. and this argument wouldnt even be needed.
But all of the other courses on that list also have drive by reviewers.

Depends I suppose where you think "pitch n putt" begins, but an A tier is a result of the organization of people who run them, not the courses they are played on. There are around 60-70 of them on the PDGA calendar annually. I doubt they are all played on Maple Hill caliber layouts.

It can be. There's more to golf than driving.

Which just makes your conclusion bigoted. Seemingly pitch and putt distances are a different beast when there's elevation involved. Sorry, but you simply can't say what a course is like until you've actually played it.

But all of the other courses on that list also have drive by reviewers.

just look at the last 12 reviews of Phantom. then tell me its the same as the others.

I don't know that, as a disc golfer, traveling to an area of the country, looking for course to play, I care about ratings that much. I want to play 18 holes or greater, I want more than a pitch and putt and some unique/outstanding natural or man built course features. I generally narrow my search and read pros/cons/comments on the course I am looking at. Sure highly ranked courses tend to have the above features, but really the descriptive feedback is what helps me decide. I want to say that, really, anyone who places a lot of emphasis on the rating aspect, has some invested interest. Top Ten? Meh. Just a list. Top hundred, likely a worth while endevour. Private courses have to be taken with a grain of salt, even the descriptive part of the review is often slanted. But in the end, what....am I going to be angry because it does not live up to the rating? Not likely, because I have not found many bad disc golf courses. I love the review feature and it should be left alone, minus removal of posts attacking people. Bad opinions can be helpful too. Often the cons of a course give me as clear of a picture, as to whether I would like the course, as the pros do. To feel that frequent reviewers, or ratings near the popular opinion, should be the only ones that count smacks of some sort of entitlement, or false privilege. There are some great reviewers on this site, and I will continue to look for them, but all opinions are just that.

I like the idea of not having reviews count toward a course's score until the reviewer has had 5 reviews. No system is perfect, but at least this provides a hurdle that a casual reviewer won't mind conquering but that a drive-by reviewer probably won't bother with. It also serves as a motivation for people to play more than just a couple courses, which is always a good thing.

Their reviews would still appear, they just wouldn't count toward the score immediately.

FWIW, I've played both Maple Hill and Phantom Falls. Maple Hill is better, but that is a little like arguing whether a ribeye is better than a NY strip. Either way, you're eating a fine piece of meat. That said, this site was created for fun debates like this. So I'll choose Maple Hill and a fatty piece of ribeye, please. :)

I like the idea of not having reviews count toward a course's score until the reviewer has had 5 reviews. No system is perfect, but at least this provides a hurdle that a casual reviewer won't mind conquering but that a drive-by reviewer probably won't bother with. It also serves as a motivation for people to play more than just a couple courses, which is always a good thing.

Their reviews would still appear, they just wouldn't count toward the score immediately.

FWIW, I've played both Maple Hill and Phantom Falls. Maple Hill is better, but that is a little like arguing whether a ribeye is better than a NY strip. Either way, you're eating a fine piece of meat. That said, this site was created for fun debates like this. So I'll choose Maple Hill and a fatty piece of ribeye, please. :)
:thmbup:

:clap::thmbup:

Due to the fact that I have nothing better to do while my 3yo takes his nap I might go through the top courses and figure out their rating if only the reviews with 5 or more reviewed are counted.

Or I might look in to making some of these orgonite things my hippie friends are raving about.