• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Muscle question...

Sneaky Alligator

Par Member
I am an exclusive FH thrower due to a shoulder surgery years ago. I was wondering if any knowledgeable disc golfers might know which are the primary muscles used in a FH throw. Currently nearly all my power comes from my wrist, but I am pretty sure that my wrist snap is strong enough to handle more arm speed so I am looking to increase my distance that way. Any help is much appreciated.

here you go
arm%20entire%20posterior%20muscles%20sized.jpg

Put your hand on each of the individual muscles and pretend to throw, you can feel it in your biceps, triceps, and extensor muscled.

thanks guys. I know how to exercise the triceps and biceps, but do you guys have any suggestions for the extensors and Brachoradialis? I currently do bicep curls, tricep, bench press, dumbbell row, overhead press, flys, and pushups but I am looking to add to those. thanks again.

things where you rotate your arm with dumbells
or lifting dumbells with only your wrists. (wrist curls)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the wrist flexors give you that snap in forehand. Wrist extension gives you the snap in backhand. The "speed" of the forehand motion comes primarily from your rotator cuff, as it internal rotates towards your belly button.

To work on wrist flexion, grip a light dumbbell and bend the wrist so your palm comes closer to your elbow. Hang your hand off of a hard surface to get a larger range.

For shoulder internal rotation, lie on your right side with a dumbbell in your right hand. Keep your elbow under you, and bend at 90 degrees. With that position, bring the dumbbell up away from the ground. Good luck.

You have to read about the shoulder surgery in the first post. The actions and range of motion of the rotator cuff are probably limited.

Last edited:
as far as rotator cuff goes, I forgot to mention I use light therabands and work the cuff both ext and int. Prerube is right, though, I have to be very careful how I work that muscle. Lying on my right side for more than a minute or two is pretty much out of the question.

Gotcha. Keep doing what you're doing. Sounds like you've been given some exercises already. But you can still work the muscle if your range is limited (and since you're not going to give up disc), throw some isometric contraction exercises in there to mix it up.

I'm going to piggyback a question into this thread, so as not to get 'rubed :D

I've got what my doc calls an 'impingement' of my right rotator cuff (not a tear). It hurts horribly whenever I throw forehand or overhand. Thumbers I've completely eliminated from my game, but I'd still like to use a forehand every now and then. What would be the best exercises to strengthen my shoulder?

The surgery on my shoulder was not on my cuff, but it became weak and sore nonetheless from not being able to use my shoulder for a long time. When I saw a physical therapist, he had me doing int and ext rotations with a red theraband (2nd lightest) tied to a doorknob or something else roughly elbow height. Started with 2 sets of 12 every 48 hrs. I now use a stronger band (green) and do 3 sets of 20 every other day. I have regained some strength, but the pain is something I just deal with for the most part. Naproxen seems to help a little. For me, it hurts more on the ext rotation (like a BH throw) on the back of my shoulder, which is why I throw FH.

throw some isometric contraction exercises in there to mix it up.

I am familiar with the concept, but I could use a few examples. Would that be like laying on my left side and holding a free weight in my right hand at a 90 deg angle and holding it there for a length of time?

Would that be like laying on my left side and holding a free weight in my right hand at a 90 deg angle and holding it there for a length of time?

Good idea but what you're describing would be the external rotation motion. A simple isometric contraction for internal would be to stand facing a doorway with your elbow at 90 degrees. Put your right fist in the doorway, directly against the frame and then rotate inward toward your belly button. Or you can use a pole or beam, if your house/apartment has those.

Sneaky Alligator: What course do you usually play up there near Waukesha? I'm a Marquette grad so I swing by there every now and then.

I actually live west of Waukesha. Mukwonago and Wales are closest (15 min and 5 min away respectively), sometimes I throw Sussex or Valley View but once a week or so I cruise to Milwaukee and play Brown Deer, or south to Grey Fox. However, I spend a lot of the summer up north, my family has a cabin on the same lake as Sandy Point Resort, just a pontoon cruise away :)