• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best way beginners can gain distance?

If you are anything like me, it might be painful to look at all the form threads of people starting at 350 and trying to get to 450 and beyond. Feel free to check out my thread here for another person who started at around 175-200! I'm still averaging a touch under 300 now but even that makes a big difference in rounds!

KISS. This all sounds like a graduate course with all the studying and group sessions. Where is the time to actually throw?

I am pretty sure I am not engaging my hips and core enough. While I try to, I think I struggle with the hip swivel. Together with that, not getting a correct power pocket, thus no whip, and no snap. When I try to swivel my hips more, before my arm fires, I turn into a twisted mess, often even losing my balance. I will figure this thing out. Definitely need to get myself on video asap, so I can see what I am doing - then hopefully I can figure out what I need to address the most. I appreciate all of the feedback!
There were some posts above about the discs being too light, throwing hammers, etc. But I've found the best way to get this through to people is to act as resistance for them.

I either have someone grip a towel with their throwing grip or grip a disc.... and then go into their motion, stopping at/near the back of their backswing. I make sure that they know where they would be "throwing" the disc and that they go through their pre-shot routine to get a feel for their swing plane (how they think they want the disc to be pulled through the motion).

From there I grab the other end of the towel or the disc and I have them pull against me in the direction that they would be throwing, through their swing plane, focusing on using their lower body to try to get leverage against my resistance. If it feels weak, I have them adjust their feet a bit at a time until they feel like they're in a strong position.

That is followed by a few reps where they try to find that position again, using the disc or towel as resistance. And then sets of throws where they're throwing from a standstill (with a full follow through, allow the power to bring your legs through). Over time the goal is to establish footwork to find that specific plant, and get into it with a rhythm.

To the gentlemen above me: Let's remember that this is a new player and more importantly a new member of the site. We should be as welcoming and helpful as possible and try to keep it on subject and not about commenting on each other, please.

My short drives is my weak link. I have been playing about 3 months, so all areas still need work…. I usually play multiple rounds a week, do multiple field days a week, as well as some back yard putting (broke down and bought me an MVP Black Hole Pro for $150 on Amazon - worth it!). Addicted - watch videos or read improvement discussions multiple times a day! Even more addicted to buying discs - up to 40 already! I am finally breaking 200 feet sometimes - my longest drives right now tend to be Lat 64 Diamond or River - but I average 175-200 feet. Wondering, what are the most common issues that keep beginners stuck at 200 foot drives? I try to implement tips on improving form, but I can't get that "snap" I read about. Any help appreciated! -ChrisinFL

Hey Chris, welcome to the site if you haven't been already. I gave you some ideas to work on in post 2 that are some basics of the backhand throw. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or in private messaging. I struggled to hit 200 feet until about 3-4 years in so you're literally years ahead of where I started. It's just going to take some time, not gonna gain 100 feet over night so try and be patient. I wish you the best of luck! :thmbup:

To the gentlemen above me: Let's remember that this is a new player and more importantly a new member of the site. We should be as welcoming and helpful as possible and try to keep it on subject and not about commenting on each other, please.

Hey Chris, welcome to the site if you haven't been already. I gave you some ideas to work on in post 2 that are some basics of the backhand throw. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or in private messaging. I struggled to hit 200 feet until about 3-4 years in so you're literally years ahead of where I started. It's just going to take some time, not gonna gain 100 feet over night so try and be patient. I wish you the best of luck! :thmbup:

You are right, sorry I bit on the bait from some of these palookas, lol

Chris, I find there is no one size fits all. There are tons of resources on YouTube to improve form. Young touring guys like Gannon buhr and Cole Redalen have studied form endlessly and it has helped them.

For me what has worked in past (I am 57), is first and foremost make sure I'm in decent shape and stretch. I personally get bored doing field work, so I will play a course when it is not busy, and throw 3 or 4 drives to build up the muscle memory.

Fastest way to learn is to play with people who know what they are doing. Playing doubles leagues helps.

Best of luck!

Btw, it didn't help that the first suggestion was to throw a Rock and hammer. Big eye roll, lolol.

Last edited:
You are right, sorry I bit on the bait from some of these palookas, lol

Chris, I find there is no one size fits all. There are tons of resources on YouTube to improve form. Young touring guys like Gannon buhr and Cole Redalen have studied form endlessly and it has helped them.

For me what has worked in past (I am 57), is first and foremost make sure I'm in decent shape and stretch. I personally get bored doing field work, so I will play a course when it is not busy, and throw 3 or 4 drives to build up the muscle memory.

Fastest way to learn is to play with people who know what they are doing. Playing doubles leagues helps.

Best of luck!

Btw, it didn't help that the first suggestion was to throw a Rock and hammer. Big eye roll, lolol.

How far do you throw? I think that is pertinent to the discussion.I'm 60 and top out at about 360' after 4 years of play. The double disc workouts got me from 260 to where I am now really quickly

Fastest way to learn is to get to know the feel of the form which a heavier object is exceptional at illustrating. If you can't figure out how to throw a heavier object without hurting yourself, chances are you won't ever learn to throw a disc properly either.

KISS. This all sounds like a graduate course with all the studying and group sessions. Where is the time to actually throw?

Haha well one can only throw so much. I think threads like mine are for people specifically like me (and maybe Brychanus who is super helpful there) who are much better at thinking about things than doing them.

Haha well one can only throw so much. I think threads like mine are for people specifically like me (and maybe Brychanus who is super helpful there) who are much better at thinking about things than doing them.

lol. Please don't take my sarcasm and dry humor as a sign of disrespect.

Guys like HUB, and SW and Brych, and even Sheep in his own way are definitely dedicated to the craft and helping people improve their game.

When I first started I wish I had spent more time focusing on form. I see how it helps alot of players. I used to play alot of tennis and racquetball so when I picked up disc golf, my form transferred over, lol.

It works for me but I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone starting out.

I am 54 years old, playing 3 months, and average mostly 175-200 feet. I mostly play at least 2-3 times a week, and I/we usually throw two discs each throw, playing the best one. Figured for now that gets us more practice for each time walking the course, and helps avoid the frustration of the few really bad throws ruining our round. Did play a normal round first to get a base score to compare to later and measure improvement. I actually like field work - usually do it 2-3 times a week, and if my shoulder feels sore at all, then I just do back yard putting with my MVP Black Hole Pro instead. Shoulder only bothers me if/when my field work turns into throwing hundreds of drives in one session - I have 40 discs, and will often throw a large number of them (drives) many times in a row until I start to get sore. Throwing 20-40 discs ten times in a row or more pretty normal for me, but I am trying to cut back a little so I don't hurt myself - mix it up with more putting, and plan to mix in some mid range work, too. Just, the desire for more distance pushes me to want to keep practicing drives. I am semi-retired, so I have time for my addiction - time to play, practice, shop for discs, and study online, too. Lol. Bigger issue than having time is the frequent Florida rain, and often really hot in the middle of the day. I wanted to do field work tonight, or at least practice putting, but it has been pouring rain all evening. Scheduled to play with 1-2 guys at 10am tomorrow, but that may get rained out too - showing 30-40% rain as of now. Weather - ugh!!!

I am 54 years old, playing 3 months, and average mostly 175-200 feet. I mostly play at least 2-3 times a week, and I/we usually throw two discs each throw, playing the best one. Figured for now that gets us more practice for each time walking the course, and helps avoid the frustration of the few really bad throws ruining our round. Did play a normal round first to get a base score to compare to later and measure improvement. I actually like field work - usually do it 2-3 times a week, and if my shoulder feels sore at all, then I just do back yard putting with my MVP Black Hole Pro instead. Shoulder only bothers me if/when my field work turns into throwing hundreds of drives in one session - I have 40 discs, and will often throw a large number of them (drives) many times in a row until I start to get sore. Throwing 20-40 discs ten times in a row or more pretty normal for me, but I am trying to cut back a little so I don't hurt myself - mix it up with more putting, and plan to mix in some mid range work, too. Just, the desire for more distance pushes me to want to keep practicing drives. I am semi-retired, so I have time for my addiction - time to play, practice, shop for discs, and study online, too. Lol. Bigger issue than having time is the frequent Florida rain, and often really hot in the middle of the day. I wanted to do field work tonight, or at least practice putting, but it has been pouring rain all evening. Scheduled to play with 1-2 guys at 10am tomorrow, but that may get rained out too - showing 30-40% rain as of now. Weather - ugh!!!

Sunrise is the best time for a round.

That's a lot of throws. Just be aware of sore versus joint pain. Sore, you are overworking your muscles. Joint pain will only get worse because your technique is stressing the joint excessively.

Lol hundreds of drives is some hardcore field work. I'd go quite a bit less reps and do far more deliberate lines with acknowledgement when you miss the line.

I'm 38 and hundreds of drives sounds very gnarly to me.

Going to try to cut back the drives a bit - mix in more putting and mid range work. It's just, when I am not happy with my drives, I keep trying and trying to get them better. Change up form - it gets worse before it gets better, so I keep throwing, try to improve before I play a course again. But, I know I need to slow that down a bit - avoid injury or burnout.

But, I know I need to slow that down a bit - avoid injury or burnout.

I'm 61 and have been playing about 7 years. After 3-4 months I had similar distance as you and have slowly built up to around 350'.

At this point, form is much more important than a bunch of reps. You really need to chill a bit. Relax, appreciate an occasional well thrown shot and enjoy the journey.

Give us an update in 6 months.

Update in 6 months? I plan to get better way faster than that!!! Although, the expression that, "life is what happens while you are making other plans", could apply! Lol. I have already improved my putts, and my approach shots under say 150 feet, significantly. I rarely miss putts under 10 feet, expect to make them under 20 feet, and hoping to push out further, because I have not spent a lot of time working on putting yet. Under 150 feet, I can usually get close enough to make the putt, or 2 putt at worst. I have got to where I can curve shots left or right around trees reasonably well. Plus, increased my drives from 150-175 feet, to now mostly 175-205 feet, so improving. But, lack of distance on drive definitely my weak spot. I guess that is why I am hyper-focused on getting more distance - 300 feet seems so far away!

I like sunrise or evening rounds - avoid mid-day FL summer heat! I play most Fridays 7am with my 16 year old son and my nephew. The other guys I play with, one of them 1-2 times a week, don't play that early. Three of us played at 10am today - it was nice, and we got in 9 holes just before the rains came!

Update in 6 months? I plan to get better way faster than that!!! Although, the expression that, "life is what happens while you are making other plans", could apply! Lol. I have already improved my putts, and my approach shots under say 150 feet, significantly. I rarely miss putts under 10 feet, expect to make them under 20 feet, and hoping to push out further, because I have not spent a lot of time working on putting yet. Under 150 feet, I can usually get close enough to make the putt, or 2 putt at worst. I have got to where I can curve shots left or right around trees reasonably well. Plus, increased my drives from 150-175 feet, to now mostly 175-205 feet, so improving. But, lack of distance on drive definitely my weak spot. I guess that is why I am hyper-focused on getting more distance - 300 feet seems so far away!

Mmmkay, I'll just ignore this thread for 6 months then.....

No - instead please tell me how to get better, faster. I know - improve my form. I plan on having my son and I video each other, so we can hopefully see some of what we are doing wrong. Been meaning to do that for a while now, but keep forgetting. Pretty sure what I think I am doing, and what I am really doing, are quite a ways apart. Maybe I can figure out how to get a video on to the technique part of this site - I am sure they can point out all kinds of flaws - enough to embarrass me! I am studying form/technique a lot, and trying to implement improvements, but it sometimes feels like drinking from a fire hydrant. So many things to try to get right in such a short amount of time as a single throw! It can get overwhelming trying to remember all, much less focus on all. But, we are having fun playing, even though we suck.

That sounds useful using resistance to see how our footwork feels - see if it gives us a decent base to have power, right? That, taking video, and putter practice playing basketball games - Horse/Around The World/21 - all things I want to try to remember to do when my son comes again. That will probably give us a lot to digest for a while! This sport is so fun, but man, who knew a single quick throw was so involved, and that is just for a RHBH drive. Then other kinds of throws I haven't even really begun to try! But, the beauty is we can suck, and still have fun!

No - instead please tell me how to get better, faster. I know - improve my form. I plan on having my son and I video each other, so we can hopefully see some of what we are doing wrong. Been meaning to do that for a while now, but keep forgetting. Pretty sure what I think I am doing, and what I am really doing, are quite a ways apart. Maybe I can figure out how to get a video on to the technique part of this site - I am sure they can point out all kinds of flaws - enough to embarrass me! I am studying form/technique a lot, and trying to implement improvements, but it sometimes feels like drinking from a fire hydrant. So many things to try to get right in such a short amount of time as a single throw! It can get overwhelming trying to remember all, much less focus on all. But, we are having fun playing, even though we suck.
My recommendation to improve off the teepad is to read some of the great suggestions already presented here, go out to a field with a bunch of drivers., and take video of yourself focusing on one technique at a time. Even if you think you're doing something exactly as somebody recommended it, you will find in the playback that you're still missing a few things.

Field work is the best way to work on driving hands down. When you play a course you get to drive probably under 20 times in an hour or more. In the field you can easily hit 100 drives in that time and microadjust as you go.

That sounds useful using resistance to see how our footwork feels - see if it gives us a decent base to have power, right? That, taking video, and putter practice playing basketball games - Horse/Around The World/21 - all things I want to try to remember to do when my son comes again. That will probably give us a lot to digest for a while! This sport is so fun, but man, who knew a single quick throw was so involved, and that is just for a RHBH drive. Then other kinds of throws I haven't even really begun to try! But, the beauty is we can suck, and still have fun!

If you want improve your game overall, a weekly league is a great way to do so. Particularly if they like to mix it up, play from varying tees, etc.

Throwing multiples from every tee can be a great way to figure out how to optimize your approach to a hole/course, but in competition it's walk up and make one throw. You need to optimize that one throw at that moment.

Helps you think strategically, maybe tone down on the hero shots and focus on repeatable and clean throws.

Try a 3 finger grip. Drivers will have all pads against the rims. Mids and putters should naturally have the rim hooked to the 1st knuckle of your index finger and the other pads of fingers on rim.

X-Step. Don't use more than 3 steps starting out.Before you throw line your feet up 8 o'clock or 7 o'clock it will feel weird,but will help figure out pull through and the position your body should be in. Throw through the shoulders not your belly. When you pull through have your thumb lined up with your collar bone,you wanna pull through slightly above your chest.

Approach shots. Use a fan grip. Line up like you are gonna putt at it. Just use the same stance as your putting stance. Trying to figure out how to explain this. Only way I can is to use lines. Lol

When you wanna throw it more right use this line up in your stance.
\
|

When you wanna throw it more left use this line up in your stance.

\
|

You can adjust your back foot to find that sweet spot for how to throw completely straight.

Latest posts