• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working on distance as a beginner

backhand4ever

I have played like 10 rounds and done some practice throwing. After trying a friend's distance driver and throwing that just around 300 feet (my longest throw) I was convinced that equipment was much more important than I had thought. Just days after I found multiple threads talking about not buying distance but rather earning it through good technique.

When I practice distance I usually aim for straight shots that are not high. My stats currently are approximately:
Putters: 50-60 meters
Midranges: 60-75 meters
Drivers: 60-75 meters

A few questions at this point:
-How far should I be able to throw with putters and midranges before moving up in discs?
-When talking about a certain distance: is than based on a flat straight throw or some high hyzer line?
-What does it tell us when midranges and drivers fly the same distance?

I have played like 10 rounds and done some practice throwing. After trying a friend's distance driver and throwing that just around 300 feet (my longest throw) I was convinced that equipment was much more important than I had thought. Just days after I found multiple threads talking about not buying distance but rather earning it through good technique.

When I practice distance I usually aim for straight shots that are not high. My stats currently are approximately:

-How far should I be able to throw with putters and midranges before moving up in discs?
-When talking about a certain distance: is than based on a flat straight throw or some high hyzer line?

Technique is king.

I'd never personally tell someone to "only throw putters." But I will tell somebody to not throw big distance drivers. A guy I play with threw cranks so much, he's afraid to throw anything else. Then throws 7-9 speeds further than his cranks and I look at him and scream. (he's a friend, screaming totally appropriate.)

In disc golf, disc speeds, as I'm sure you're finding out, don't necessarily mean "more distance."
But it does mean "more distance potential" and potential is our key word there.

It's important to understand that our ability needs to match up with our discs we throw. We change discs to help us achieve better control over time vs trying to force discs around to our will. When you're spending to much time trying to make discs work, you're hurting your form growth. This is why big distance drivers are bad. Most people have to force them to get any distance, and this isn't really a good way to get better. It's just a good way to casually play disc golf and get through the course.
So that's an important decision to make as a player, do you want to be good, or just be a filthy casual who has a good time.
And Ive played with tons of casual players who have horrible form, push the discs around that are far beyond their skill level and make them work. But it's sad to see a 13 speed disc being thrown poorly only 300 feet. But that's how they make distance, while Im' throwing a midrange or a 5/6 speed disc there, and they don't understand the correlations.

That 13 speed disc goes 30 foot further for them, so thats what they throw.
But all their discs go only 200-250 feet. cept that one driver they throw poorly. Don't fall into that trap.

Midranges and putters are more forgiving on nose angles. So, the midrange/driver thing is generally because you throw slightly nose up and the driver doesn't perform, but a midrange doesn't mind a bit of nose angle.

distances with discs?
I think if you feel comfortable with putters at 100-150, and midranges at 150-200. You're getting somewhere. That's beginner level stuff.
But with a lot of things changing out there equipment wise and understanding wise, it's hard to put numbers on some of this stuff unless you see somebody throw.

The key is, in my opinion, to focus on getting a good basic swing that allows you to not feel like you're over exerting yourself to move down the course and enjoy the game that you can control your game and getting there, and building on that. And putters and midranges are a great way to learn that style of game and moving up as you feel more and more comfortable with your form.

Practice throwing at 50-80% power—more towards 50%. Something around 7 speed. Pick a target between 50 and 60m to aim for.

Try to keep the disc flat and low.

Form videos get lots of good input from some very knowledgeable people if you care to share.

When playing for fun, throw whatever you like.
When playing for score, throw what you think gives you the best opportunity to score.

When practicing, be aware that putters can hide nose angle issues that drivers do not. Throwing drivers early can lead to bad form issues in that I have seen people who only know how to flex high speed discs and can't throw stable or understable putters and mids. Throwing high speed discs on flex lines can be an early way to get distance but will hurt long term form development.

When I started, my goal early on was to be able to hyzer flip my dx leopard 300', and that took me a while. I think throwing understable fairways is a better way to develop proper technique vs throwing discs that are too overstable for you.

I have people that started playing almost 4 years that started at the same time I did who still cannot throw nose down. Nose angle control is a critical barrier to decent form and results IMO. These friends basically hit a wall a few months in and never got any better.

I would encourage any beginner to throw putters up to understable fairways with an stable to overstable fairway like a teebird as your utility disc. Once you can hyzer flip those understable fairways, get the same disc in premium plastic. Once you can flip that, start to use your teebird more as a control driver instead of a utility one. Once you can throw that teebird consistently as a control driver, move up to an understable 9 speed for more distance. Rinse and repeat.

When playing for score, throw what you think gives you the best opportunity to score.

When practicing, be aware that putters can hide nose angle issues that drivers do not. Throwing drivers early can lead to bad form issues in that I have seen people who only know how to flex high speed discs and can't throw stable or understable putters and mids. Throwing high speed discs on flex lines can be an early way to get distance but will hurt long term form development.

When I started, my goal early on was to be able to hyzer flip my dx leopard 300', and that took me a while. I think throwing understable fairways is a better way to develop proper technique vs throwing discs that are too overstable for you.

I have people that started playing almost 4 years that started at the same time I did who still cannot throw nose down. Nose angle control is a critical barrier to decent form and results IMO. These friends basically hit a wall a few months in and never got any better.

I would encourage any beginner to throw putters up to understable fairways with an stable to overstable fairway like a teebird as your utility disc. Once you can hyzer flip those understable fairways, get the same disc in premium plastic. Once you can flip that, start to use your teebird more as a control driver instead of a utility one. Once you can throw that teebird consistently as a control driver, move up to an understable 9 speed for more distance. Rinse and repeat.

I just started a thread on this subject (understable discs for practice). They really challenge you to power down and throw smooth IMO.

May I recommend NOT working on distance as a beginner? Wish I hadn't. I went past all my other newb friends real quickly, only to reinforce bad form habits.

So this is the most concise video I know of. It's so short I watched it once a couple of years ago and thought, 'meh'. Turns out I couldn't do this. Note especially the slight angle backwards he talks about, and then hips and shoulders toward the target. Get very good at this first. I mean, VERY good:

Also do be able to do this exactly (not generally):

If you emphasize distance you'll start compensating for bad form, and you'll be able to get like 325' or 350'. Then in a couple of years, you might be sad.

This reminds me I actually need to go back to step 1 and practice really short nose down clean (no wobble) throws, like 60 feet/20m short throws.

Other throwing sports you start at the release (according to youtube videos for beginner discus and javelin, anyway) then add more elements of the full throw sequentially. Can't imagine disc golf is actually different especially when disc angles are so important.

I just started a thread on this subject (understable discs for practice). They really challenge you to power down and throw smooth IMO.

This is some super huge info here and I wish more people recognized this.
I've gotten into so many arguments with others over high speed force flex lines... ugh

May I recommend NOT working on distance as a beginner? Wish I hadn't. I went past all my other newb friends real quickly, only to reinforce bad form habits.

If you emphasize distance you'll start compensating for bad form, and you'll be able to get like 325' or 350'. Then in a couple of years, you might be sad.

I personally prefer this method, work your way up with clean form, vs work your way to clean form from injuries of trying to throw far.

This goes into throwing easy, throwing flippy and throwing smooth.
You'll watch as your flippy discs start to do weird things you dont expect as you gain better timing and control, and you need to change to a slightly more stable disc, or go up a speed and stay flippy. And you'll watch the easy distance climb.

In a way, this is the hardest way to learn to golf, but also the best and easiest way as well.
Everyone wants to go out and get birdies and throw far.
Naaaah.
I wanna throw clean shots that go down the fairway that keep me from searching for my disc in the spiders. And I want to get there with the least amount of effort.

This reminds me I actually need to go back to step 1 and practice really short nose down clean (no wobble) throws, like 60 feet/20m short throws.

Other throwing sports you start at the release (according to youtube videos for beginner discus and javelin, anyway) then add more elements of the full throw sequentially. Can't imagine disc golf is actually different especially when disc angles are so important.

I think so.
I think there is a basic level to form, then some extra goodies you can tag on.

Thanks to all of you for your great responses! I didn't know where to start in terms of replying - so much to take into account and test out.
I'm currently throwing mostly a midrange when playing and postponing the driver practice and use on the course. Will probably try to upload a video at some point for more feedback.

Thanks to all of you for your great responses! I didn't know where to start in terms of replying - so much to take into account and test out.
I'm currently throwing mostly a midrange when playing and postponing the driver practice and use on the course. Will probably try to upload a video at some point for more feedback.

I would also give you the tip that dont be afraid to take a few discs of the same mold and about the same wear (something like Explorers and Roc3s and Mako3s) and practice shot shaping on the course or an open space that has some course like features. Do the same shot multiple times and adjust the throws. This type of practice has been the most beneficial for me to actually get the disc where I want. 100 feet extra dont mean anything when you go ob or out of position.

I'd pick a goal and develop a plan ("just have fun and chuck" is a perfectly valid goal).

If you have form goals, I'd caution that the majority of people try to copy pro form and get tangled up trying to figure it out on their own.

If you want to throw far safely most players benefit from learning from someone who does so at a high level and learning from sound sources. Some of them are here, others could be local pros with a good coaching style that fits you, etc.

Putters and mids can keep teaching you past 300' of distance. Fairway drivers will teach you more about nose angle. Distance drivers are designed for big distance but can be used craftily at shorter range. The sticky in the Form critique thread may be insightful for you depending on your goals.

Goals are everything with disc golf.

You have to decide what you want to do and how far you want to go.
That's really the best place to start.

Nothing wrong with being a casual hucker. but if youre wanting to get better, you gotta determine how far you want to take it so you can apply the appropriate levels of practice.

It would have to be a truly rare person to fully denounce the call of distance for the sake of more distance...so I don't think I would ever tell someone not to do it lol.

I would echo the above. Set varied goals. Distance can certainly be one of them. Throwing a putter 200' on controlled hyzer, flat and anhyzer lines is just as valid of a goal though.

If you are going to learn how to chuck a disc far, I highly recommend doing it correctly as well. Effort levels are not directly rewarded in this particular skill, you want to develop an efficient, easy swing, and build on it.

I didn't do it this way very well myself for a while, so I developed lots of ways to throw a disc about 320', but I would describe those methods as 'blackout' movements. I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't really feel the disc as the object I was throwing, I was just sending a command to my body to flail in a way that ended up sending a disc kind of far. It was pretty useless for actually improving at the game itself. I would avoid developing that habit as a concrete rule of the goals you set, if it were me.

One thing I wish I had been told during my initial learning (I had to learn it on my own)....don't focus on distance. It is important, but accuracy is way more important. Focus on becoming accurate with your throws. If you can hit your lines and land your disc close to where you want it to be, that will aid you way more than distance. And I think you will find that if you are accurate, distance will just come on its own.

One thing I wish I had been told during my initial learning (I had to learn it on my own)....don't focus on distance. It is important, but accuracy is way more important. Focus on becoming accurate with your throws. If you can hit your lines and land your disc close to where you want it to be, that will aid you way more than distance. And I think you will find that if you are accurate, distance will just come on its own.

I try and push that philosophy, but where it falls apart is peoples desires to "birdy" holes, not play clean golf.

When people don't get birdies, they feel like they are failing.

It's like when you see people wanting a hole to be a par 4 because they played it poorly and want it to be par, not a bogey.

Playing clean golf is far more rewarding in the long run, because the distance will come with the repetition and control.
Trying to force out distance comes at a very different cost, either to your score, or to your body if done poorly.
The idea of "throwing harder" is one of the things that needs to be beaten out of some people when it comes to gaining distance.
Learning to leverage the disc vs throw harder is hard to get into your brain, especially when you feel so good about your throw, but dont' see the distance.

This is something I struggle with. I have an easy clean throw, but based on what I'm doing, I personally feel my distance should be far greater. but its not. And accepting that is a bit difficult at times, but it just tells me I have things to clean up that I think are good, but probably are not.

It can be really frustrating to play with people who just muscle out distance and beat you on the course, but understanding the damage they do to themselves in the long run is what should remind you to settle down and play your game and improve a bit slower.
The slower improvement comes into a longer duration and more control.

It's also frustrating for me to know when I used to throw poorly with a lot of muscles, my distance was higher and my scores were better as well. It's incredibly frustrating to go to courses and shoot even or plus par, when before I was shooting 8 down muscling discs. But blowing my bad shoulder out 2 times was not fun.

The benefits now is my body gets tired, not my shoulder gets blown out, but I can play longer and better than those who throw more muscled golf.

I try and push that philosophy, but where it falls apart is peoples desires to "birdy" holes, not play clean golf.

When people don't get birdies, they feel like they are failing.

It's like when you see people wanting a hole to be a par 4 because they played it poorly and want it to be par, not a bogey.

Playing clean golf is far more rewarding in the long run, because the distance will come with the repetition and control.
Trying to force out distance comes at a very different cost, either to your score, or to your body if done poorly.
The idea of "throwing harder" is one of the things that needs to be beaten out of some people when it comes to gaining distance.
Learning to leverage the disc vs throw harder is hard to get into your brain, especially when you feel so good about your throw, but dont' see the distance.

This is something I struggle with. I have an easy clean throw, but based on what I'm doing, I personally feel my distance should be far greater. but its not. And accepting that is a bit difficult at times, but it just tells me I have things to clean up that I think are good, but probably are not.

It can be really frustrating to play with people who just muscle out distance and beat you on the course, but understanding the damage they do to themselves in the long run is what should remind you to settle down and play your game and improve a bit slower.
The slower improvement comes into a longer duration and more control.

It's also frustrating for me to know when I used to throw poorly with a lot of muscles, my distance was higher and my scores were better as well. It's incredibly frustrating to go to courses and shoot even or plus par, when before I was shooting 8 down muscling discs. But blowing my bad shoulder out 2 times was not fun.

The benefits now is my body gets tired, not my shoulder gets blown out, but I can play longer and better than those who throw more muscled golf.

All so true. I used to play ball golf, so when I play a casual round I set 'Bill Par'. Currently it is +1 per hole (bogey). I get that and I'm happy. Below and I'm ecstatic. One day I'll get to where 'Bill Par' is actual par. My issue is that I finally learned accuracy is more important than distance. What taught me that was going over my scores per hole and looking at distances to see where my issues were. I realized I was having issues with the longer holes (300+). But then I realized, since I throw a max distance of 250, I should be able to make a 500 foot hole in 3 (250 tee shot, 250 approach/layup, tap in putt). What was/is holding me back is accuracy. It doesn't help when my tee shot goes 250 but off at a tangent leaving me 200-250 feet from a different angle and that shot goes wild. Or in a tree/bush. So accuracy is key, distance will come. I no longer feel the need to 'bomb it' off the tee....but I'm not totally where I need to be on accuracy....it shows in wooded courses. But I keep trying and practicing; and one day I'll have the accuracy I need.

Sure, for some definition of "important". :)

When I coached volleyball, we encouraged kids to find their power first, and then learn control later (for instance, with a jump serve). There's a reasonable argument to be made that overall progress is faster if you find your physical limits and then dial back.

I don't know that this translates exactly to the disc golf drive, but I see similarities. Certainly if your definition of "important" is to get a better score right now, then sure, accuracy > power. But if "important" means maximizing your potential, then I'm not so sure.

My fear with advocating accuracy over power is that I could easily see someone adopting a form that is accurate but caps them at 60% of their true potential power. I know from personal experience that improving power also improves accuracy, but I'm less sure that you can keep adding power into an accurate but fundamentally flawed form.

I guess I'm saying: there's many ways to think about this.

When I coached volleyball, we encouraged kids to find their power first, and then learn control later (for instance, with a jump serve). There's a reasonable argument to be made that overall progress is faster if you find your physical limits and then dial back.

I don't know that this translates exactly to the disc golf drive, but I see similarities. Certainly if your definition of "important" is to get a better score right now, then sure, accuracy > power. But if "important" means maximizing your potential, then I'm not so sure.

My fear with advocating accuracy over power is that I could easily see someone adopting a form that is accurate but caps them at 60% of their true potential power. I know from personal experience that improving power also improves accuracy, but I'm less sure that you can keep adding power into an accurate but fundamentally flawed form.

I know what you are saying and I do agree to some extent.

On the other hand, the disc golf backhand is a weird beast. Physical effort exerted doesn't really correlate to distance until you have an efficient swing to build that into.

Not disagreeing with you, this is one of the core things that makes learning how to throw a disc difficult.

The reason to advocate accuracy over power is pretty simple.

If you're focusing on being accurate, you're more focused on a swing vs a throw.

Swing creates leverage, leverage creates power.

If your goal is "moar power" then your brain will tell your muscles to go into over drive. Which then turns into muscling and poor accuracy and a sore shoulder.

The key is to trick yourself into learning that more leverage = more power = more distance. But trying to throw the disc as hard as you can will not result the same and in turn create really bad habbits.

With lets say a volley ball serve, it's not as terribly complicated as a full power backhand with the massive amount of things going on at once.
However, its not simple, but you can push the boundaries because it's .. oh jeez, i'm making a mess of this.

When we look at a lot of athletic movements, our bodies will naturally do them to a certain extent.

Because to perform that movement, we've had good language for one to direct the actions. Disc golf is full of bad language that will sub consciously direct your body to do all the wrong things. Such as "throw."

Anyone can "throw." we can look at this in baseball. Just take your arm and throw it. But you will limit your distance and possibly hurt yourself when you try and just use your arm to throw really far trying to muscle it.

When you cross this idea into disc golf and say "pull" and "throw" your brain says "take disc and use arm to throw hard" which is exactly what you dont want to be doing. And being such a complex motion, you can easily overstrain muscles that are not used for many other tasks.

When you teach somebody that its a swing and they swing with their body, they can drive with their body instead of their arm.

But if we look at baseball and golf for swings, we are using 2 arms, which FORCES you to be more in harmony when you swing. But the motions are rooted in a lot of similar motions, but we are not doing it with 1 arm, but all 3 actions are trying to generate leverage into something.

So, trying to find your power, should realistically be "learning to use your body." vs trying to "yeet" a frisbee.

Power and distance comes from the core, but its learning to start with that core throw, vs trying to yeet the disc and then trying to eliminate all that bad muscle memory when you try and clean up the swing and use your body. And essentially what you'll do is keep forcing yourself out of time when you get into a bit of "secret sauce" stuff where you will want to put a little more on it, and that form you used 2 or 3 years ago will just sneak in and you either hurt yourself or throw like crap.

Ask me how I know. hahaha

I will say if your'e starting with a bit better form overall vs a full muscle swing.
Adding some muscles into it to try and find your wall is a different subject.

But generally its people muscling with their arm and doing all the wrong things vs just trying to accurately smooth the disc down the fairway.

Latest posts