• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

music on the course

Not a fan. They take away nature from me. I am not opposed to tunes while I play, but I think a nice speaker at a low personal volume gives me the best of both worlds.

Sorry, I don't have much of a suggestion for a nice pair.

I prefer the Power Beats Pro. I have issues with buds staying in my ears when I workout and the best solution I found was those because they have the little ear hooks. I dont use them for disc golf but they should work just fine.

Yep, for active wear the hooks work best.

But I don't do music on the course. Mainly in the gym or yard work.

I'm not a fan of people wearing ear buds on courses because they cease being aware of anything outside of their field of vision.

Yeah, there are issues. You really want to hear someone yell "Fore". By explanation, I suggested some BlueTooth buds that have many different fitments and are known for not falling out that also handle sweat and moisture and also have a feature where you can hear ambient sounds like people talking. Seems like those are the primary consideration, and cheap, and a good battery life.

I'm not so much into music on the course for myself but I've never minded others playing it on their Bluetooth speakers at reasonable volumes.

If you want to use headphones that's fine but I'd just say clip a speaker to your bag or cart and enjoy your round.

As someone else mentioned, the headphones/earbuds could isolate you from someone trying to communicate with you out on the course. With the big boom in people new to the sport I've been "fored" a lot more often recently than I ever was in the past.

No music on the course, if we are playing casual and you stick those in your ears I will ask you to play thru at that point.

Last time I played casual with someone wearing them I had to repeat what I said every time. It's rude and stupid.

Playing alone or in a tournament? Then do what you want as long as I can't hear the music.

If you want to use headphones that's fine but I'd just say clip a speaker to your bag or cart and enjoy your round.

See I think this is even worse. Subjecting everyone around you to what you think is good music. People that play music on the course are some of my least favorite people. Music on the course is an annoyance and imo shouldnt be allowed.

See I think this is even worse. Subjecting everyone around you to what you think is good music. People that play music on the course are some of my least favorite people. Music on the course is an annoyance and imo shouldnt be allowed.

I've only really encountered this once in a casual round. I thought it was silly. It certainly did not sound good regardless of music selection.

I would prefer to not have people playing their music on the course without a doubt.

Not much more annoying than having to yell at a card mate to remind them which tee we're going to or to get their score because they're listening to their headphones.

No music on the course, if we are playing casual and you stick those in your ears I will ask you to play thru at that point.

Last time I played casual with someone wearing them I had to repeat what I said every time. It's rude and stupid.

Playing alone or in a tournament? Then do what you want as long as I can't hear the music.

This^
And quadruple times this! ^^

I don't know about "shouldn't be allowed," but...

Playing it loud enough for people playing other holes to hear would just be plain rude. Speakers should only be played:

1) If everyone on the card is in favor.
2) At volumes that won't carry to other holes (i.e. quietly in the background). Personally, I'd never do it during a tourney.

Even during a casual round, you don't know what stakes other players on the course are playing for, and even if they're playing for nothing, they're entitled to peace and quiet. If they wanted to hear music, they'd have brought their own.

Re: buds - I have a friend who wears them during league play. Frees him from distractions and helps him focus. I find buds make it harder for me to focus on my game, but a speaker in the background helps me chill and stay loose. Different strokes...

I don't know about "shouldn't be allowed," but...

Playing it loud enough for people playing other holes to hear would just be plain rude. Speakers should only be played:

1) If everyone on the card is in favor.
2) At volumes that won't carry to other holes (i.e. quietly in the background). Personally, I'd never do it during a tourney.

Even during a casual round, you don't know what stakes other players on the course are playing for, and even if they're playing for nothing, they're entitled to peace and quiet. If they wanted to hear music, they'd have brought their own.

Re: buds - I have a friend who wears them during league play. Frees him from distractions and helps him focus. I find buds make it harder for me to focus on my game, but a speaker in the background helps me chill and stay loose. Different strokes...

Yea, Ive had some really bad luck on backup holes in casual rounds where the group in front of you or behind you is playing music and wont turn it off when there are near other groups. If you are all alone or if your group is ok with it then go for it but when you come upon other people, I think that you should shut it off. I just find it really disrespectful.

Yea, Ive had some really bad luck on backup holes in casual rounds where the group in front of you or behind you is playing music and wont turn it off when there are near other groups. If you are all alone or if your group is ok with it then go for it but when you come upon other people, I think that you should shut it off. I just find it really disrespectful.

Im biased a little also, because the one course I play a lot is a small, open, park style 9er. Lots of convergent tee pads in an area. If there is music any louder than regular conversation level, the whole course can usually hear it. I'm not a fan. Keep it to yourself.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of imposing it on others in any way, shape, or form...chalk one up for buds.

I play at busy multi-use parks, so it is pretty standard to hear music from a variety of places (park goers, cars, nearby houses, nearby band practice, etc, etc, etc). Yelling happens frequently enough that I also don't really notice when someone yells "duck" or "fore". One time, some dude yelled "duck" and I was thinking how some dummy didn't know ducks from geese as his disc sailed over my head. I've also heard people yell the number four in circumstances like where they want their wife to buy that number combo at the food truck.

I think I encountered one backup where some guy was playing some terrible country music, but I could hear music from the pavilion immediately before and after that shot, so whatever. I think he even offered to turn it off, but I declined the offer.

I have a buddy who uses bone conduction headphones and they are pretty awesome. Since they aren't in his ear, he can hear everything thats going on around him, and he can enjoy his music.

I have JayBird Vista earbuds and really like them. For disc golf, I only use one. That lets me hear my music and, more importantly, hear other players talking to me. Using earbuds means other players don't need to listen to my music and we don't have competing music on the card...I've played with a group where two players were playing their own music and it got annoying. One did turn theirs off after we asked (his was the loudest and group consensus was that the other player's music was better).

Latest posts