• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Beginner Disc

I re-iterate that MVP does not make "beginner" discs, and unless a beginner already has good power, form and snap, MVP discs are likely not be a good answer.

Which is utter nonsense. Throwing an understable fairway driver as a beginner is pretty much the same experience whether that fairway driver is made by Innova or MVP or Vibram or Discraft or so on.

Because the Envy is not a beginner friendly disc does not mean they don't make any. Beginners probably shouldn't start with a Destroyer either but the most recommended disc I see for beginners is the Leopard. Shockingly, Innova makes styles for beginners and advanced ... as does MVP.
It's not just the Envy. The Proxy and Relay (both bagged and thrown regularly) are both great, slow, and (because of their respective neutral and understable flight characteristics) beginner friendly, but they both fly like they should with snap. Under-snap, and they act differently. I've always been as unbiased as I can be when talking discs, and what I've said above is from personal experience, including learning a BH from scratch.
And because of its HSS, the Envy is probably a better beginner disc due to its excessive torque resistance.

While not specifically a pack, the Circuit was designed with beginners in mind, so

Atom, Tangent, Relay
Spin, Matrix, Signal.

I played this year's Circuit with my brother-in-law who can't throw 200' normally. He had great success with the Signal and Spin. It was his home course and he had probably his best game that day.

Excellent example

Which is utter nonsense. Throwing an understable fairway driver as a beginner is pretty much the same experience whether that fairway driver is made by Innova or MVP or Vibram or Discraft or so on.

He's going to cling to that nonsense like a junkyard dog. As a beginner, just go less stable and down a little in weight for Gyro.

My wife is a beginner with lowish power and she can hit anything under 150 with her Envy.

I gave her a 155 Inertia and she could almost hit 300 with it. Her best distance disc is a 155 Elasto Diamond and she throws it about 275.

Neutron Proxy. Neutral and scary long.

While SD might often be an obnoxious PITA a lot, he's not wrong. For someone who's new and not quite up to snuff with their form (which was me a while back), these discs can be squirrelly. I remember making the same observation about the Envy when it was released. Not enough snap, and it was an unreliable turd. Get it right though...wow! I made that point frequently, and I shied away from MVP for that reason. Guess all of you have form clean enough to eat off of...?

In some regards this makes these discs great for training new players. Much like the Comet's form tidying brilliance though, this makes it incredibly frustrating on the course, especially when one-piece molds don't suffer from the same "issue".

Clean enough form to throw an envy is not a high bar.

I re-iterate that MVP does not make "beginner" discs, and unless a beginner already has good power, form and snap, MVP discs are likely not be a good answer. Innova makes starter packs, as does Trilogy (or at least Dynamic Discs)... I don't see any MVP starter packs, and there might just be a good reason for that. And despite the personal attacks on me elsewhere in this thread, I'm just trying to help the OP not make a bad decision and waste his/her money. Oh well, I said my advice.. let the OP find out for himself/herself...

I would've agreed with you a couple of years ago or so. After the first Ions and the ones with low overmolds it took a while for MVP to make something that was approaching neutral in stability. But they've got quite a few discs now that a beginner shouldn't have much trouble with and lots of stuff in lighter weights.

I'd go with Signal, Theory, and Spin/Atom/Proxy for my weak armed trio of discs.

My super-weak arm did quite well with Inspires and Inertias in the 160s. I've since abandoned the MVPs in favor of Teebirds and other discs with a smidge of glide, but those discs were great for stealing a few cheap feet and learning to hyzer-flip.

My super-weak arm did quite well with Inspires and Inertias in the 160s. I've since abandoned the MVPs in favor of Teebirds and other discs with a smidge of glide, but those discs were great for stealing a few cheap feet and learning to hyzer-flip.

lol, it never ends. Their putters and mids have plenty of glide, and Inertia was the first driver I really noticed the glide. Newer drivers appear quite glidey based on vids and user reviews.

You probably right, I've not thrown their mids, etc.

I haven't thrown many discs, so if you say the Inertia has glide, I'll defer. All I know is that it was the understability that made them my longest disc for a time. Nowadays a dx Teebird flies with the same shape and stays in the air much longer.

The Octane for sure has glide, it's basically got the HSS and glide of a Star Destroyer but with less LSF.

I'd go with Signal, Theory, and Spin/Atom/Proxy for my weak armed trio of discs.

Speaking of the Spin. Man I love that disc. I haven't thrown a lot of new molds this year, but the Spin stands out as disc of the year for me so far. I don't putt with deep putters, but as a driver, it really shines. Reminds me of a perfectly seasoned Aviar.

I think OP was more looking for a driver, but I highly recommend the Spin. For the whole set, I would say Spin, Theory, 155 Inspire.

I haven't thrown many discs, so if you say the Inertia has glide, I'll defer. All I know is that it was the understability that made them my longest disc for a time. Nowadays a dx Teebird flies with the same shape and stays in the air much longer.

All in good fun. Lack of glide has been a common theme with MVP, some justified, some not.

DX anything is going to out float a premium plastic disc for the most part.

Snag a proxy for sure, I love mine. I just picked up and Inspire too, I've only thrown it a couple times, but I think I'm going to like it. Kinda like a River but a little more flippy.

a axiom insanity is a pretty easy disc to throw, they come in lighter weights also.
This. My 11yo loves his light insanity and throws it crazy well.
Anything light and under stable is good as far as the drivers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Easy question. Switch and Servo combo.. if you had to pick one the Switch. Great glide. Little bit of turn powered up and comfy in smaller hands.

Latest posts