• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Beginner Disc

craig7530

Weak arm player wanting to throw MVP discs. What you recommend? I throwing a Latitude Diamond (155 gram) at this time. Want to try so MVP's.

167 Relay, 174 Signal when released.. :/thread

yep. lighter weight for sure and once the signal is out it will be MVPs most US disc.

150 class ions are also great. ive given a few away and peopl throw them as far as XYZ driver when newbz.

IMHO, there is no such thing as an MVP "beginner" disc. You have to throw all their discs with good "snap" to make them work properly. If you don't have reasonable form down, you may be disappointed in any MVP disc that you try.

Anode is awesome. Dead straight putter that handles clean form and power. Goes crazy far for a putter, and is true flying so you'll know if you messed up.

As far as their drivers go I haven't really seen a ton of glide, but instead found that their discs just hold reasonably straight well. What I'm meaning, is if you want a glidey disc that will increase your distance a little then some other types of discs (like your Diamond) are likely a better bet...ones with some dome for glide and more turn and then the fade to come out of it. I have not thrown a lot of MVP drivers, but I don't think of long glide when I think of their stuff. That doesn't mean it isn't good though.

IMHO, there is no such thing as an MVP "beginner" disc. You have to throw all their discs with good "snap" to make them work properly. If you don't have reasonable form down, you may be disappointed in any MVP disc that you try.

So a poorly thrown disc doesn't fly well?

150 class Relay would be great. My wife also loves her 150 class Crave and a super light Fission Volt may also be good. If you are looking to improve just throw putters and midranges. I personally love my Proxies of all flavors and weights.

Single disc: relay in lighter weight (you're going to hear that a lot)

But if you're looking for a couple add the proxy and theory to that list. Actually, I might try that simple combo out plus a resistor.

relay will be similar to your diamond. you could also try an axiom theory great mid for newer players. (mvp makes the axiom discs)

See if you can find a Signal in the wild. They are very beginner friendly.

MVP makes a lot of 150 class stuff too. Anything understable in that range would be good for you, such as an Inertia or Inspire.

Neutron Proxy. Neutral and scary long.

While SD might often be an obnoxious PITA a lot, he's not wrong. For someone who's new and not quite up to snuff with their form (which was me a while back), these discs can be squirrelly. I remember making the same observation about the Envy when it was released. Not enough snap, and it was an unreliable turd. Get it right though...wow! I made that point frequently, and I shied away from MVP for that reason. Guess all of you have form clean enough to eat off of...?

In some regards this makes these discs great for training new players. Much like the Comet's form tidying brilliance though, this makes it incredibly frustrating on the course, especially when one-piece molds don't suffer from the same "issue".

Neutron Proxy. Neutral and scary long.

While SD might often be an obnoxious PITA a lot, he's not wrong. For someone who's new and not quite up to snuff with their form (which was me a while back), these discs can be squirrelly. I remember making the same observation about the Envy when it was released. Not enough snap, and it was an unreliable turd. Get it right though...wow! I made that point frequently, and I shied away from MVP for that reason. Guess all of you have form clean enough to eat off of...?

In some regards this makes these discs great for training new players. Much like the Comet's form tidying brilliance though, this makes it incredibly frustrating on the course, especially when one-piece molds don't suffer from the same "issue".

Because the Envy is not a beginner friendly disc does not mean they don't make any. Beginners probably shouldn't start with a Destroyer either but the most recommended disc I see for beginners is the Leopard. Shockingly, Innova makes styles for beginners and advanced ... as does MVP.

Because the Envy is not a beginner friendly disc does not mean they don't make any. Beginners probably shouldn't start with a Destroyer either but the most recommended disc I see for beginners is the Leopard. Shockingly, Innova makes styles for beginners and advanced ... as does MVP.

I re-iterate that MVP does not make "beginner" discs, and unless a beginner already has good power, form and snap, MVP discs are likely not be a good answer. Innova makes starter packs, as does Trilogy (or at least Dynamic Discs)... I don't see any MVP starter packs, and there might just be a good reason for that. And despite the personal attacks on me elsewhere in this thread, I'm just trying to help the OP not make a bad decision and waste his/her money. Oh well, I said my advice.. let the OP find out for himself/herself...

Last edited:
+1 for Neutron Proxy. Disc flies straight at any speed.

Relay is pretty flippy, maybe a Crave in the 160s would be a little more dependable.

I personally love some of the MVP/Axiom lineup...

I don't know if they are beginner friendly or not.

*do me a favor guys... let's check the name-calling and just discuss the OP*

If OP wants to try MVP, then cool... even if it doesn't work out, he's still got a disc that he can come back to later on or can trade out with one of his buddies if he'd like.

As for me, I am a freakish fan of the Axiom Proxy (MVP's off-shoot company). Hot damn that is a great, great disc!

There are many solid suggestions in this thread, and I'm sure Craig will enjoy whichever MVP/Axiom disc he chooses.

As for my own choice for a weak arm, I definitely echo the Relay. Btw, Craig, how "weak" is your arm?

I re-iterate that MVP does not make "beginner" discs, and unless a beginner already has good power, form and snap, MVP discs are likely not be a good answer. Innova makes starter packs, as does Trilogy (or at least Dynamic Discs)... I don't see any MVP starter packs, and there might just be a good reason for that. And despite the personal attacks on me elsewhere in this thread, I'm just trying to help the OP not make a bad decision and waste his/her money. Oh well, I said my advice.. let the OP find out for himself/herself...

MVP makes lots of starter packs.

Ill sell ypu any combo:

Ion/tangent/volt
Anode/theory/relay
Spin/axis/switch
Atom/matrix/signal

Now mix those around anyway you want for a bunch of starter pack combos. Lol you are way too easy.

McSockioss doesnt throw starter packs tho!

Proxy theory or relay. Or all three.

That's just about the 3-disc starter set I'd suggest, with an option to swap Proxy for a 155g Anode. That makes it very similar to the Millennium core trio of Omega/Aurora/JLS.

Theory at 166g (no 150s unfortunately) would be my 1-disc suggestion. Similar to Z-Meteor which was my go-to pro shop solution for new players, tested on them w/the driving range. Meteor beat out Stingray and a number of also-great beginner options.

So if you wanna try MVP/Axiom stuff as a beginner, I'd suggest those models that are similar to a few great starter discs from other factories. Go lighter than normal with an MVP/Axiom than you would on a normal disc.

While not specifically a pack, the Circuit was designed with beginners in mind, so

Atom, Tangent, Relay
Spin, Matrix, Signal.

I played this year's Circuit with my brother-in-law who can't throw 200' normally. He had great success with the Signal and Spin. It was his home course and he had probably his best game that day.