• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Black Hole or DD Recruit?

Strauss

Eagle Member
Looking into upgrading my practice basket at home. Right now I have a modified Instep that actually catches decent for the money I have in it. I added an inner row of chains, to bring the total to 21. But I've had to zip tie the outer row inward a link because the catching surface was too wide. I'm also not a big fan of how shallow the cage is.

Being that the basket does catch pretty well, I was originally thinking I'd have to go all in on a discatcher or similar to actually have a side upgrade. But after looking at both the MVP Black Hole Pro and DD Recruit, I may have been wrong. They both look like very good baskets for the money, and both would be nice upgrades to my modded instep.

I'd like to go MVP since it's less money than the DD, but the DD has a couple more chains and a much deeper cage. The shallow cage on my instep drives me crazy, and I'm worried the MVP won't be deep enough. It looks pretty shallow in the pictures.

I really wish there was a comparison video of these two baskets out there, but there really isn't much of anything on the MVP.

Which would you buy, the MVP or DD? Or should I save my money and go all in on a Discatcher?

I have a DD Recruit basket. The first run of them had some bad base welds that rusted and broke, but they shipped me a replacement base for free with no hassle. Customer service gets an A+. The only downside to this basket I can see is you mentioned zip tying your outer chains in on your old basket because the catching area was too wide. I do the same thing with my Recruit, because the chain spread is enormous like larger than any basket I've ever seen on a course.

If you're not going to leave it outside, I'd go with the MVP and save the money. The tray is shallower, yes, but I wouldn't ever need more chains than what's on the Black Hole. Haven't had any putts bounce out of the tray either, for what that's worth.