• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Vector Midrange

Been throwing my vector for a little over a week, and just aced with it today. 230 foot hole uphill. So far really liking it, more versatile than my z hornet. Mine is green, pretty flat and 175. Definitely a snap dominate disc, with dependable lss. Interested in a domey one as I hear they are more over stable. Great job MVP.

I'm noticing that the Vectors I'm using a lot have already had enough of the silver sharpie rubbed off the wing so that you cannot read the weight. Maybe sharpie on the inner rim would stay with the disc longer?

That's why I already put the weight on the inside of the rim in silver sharpie on mine, right next to my name and number. I've started to just do that with all my new discs, writing the weight inside the rim. I think I may try to head out and give my Vector a few throws shortly. Then I'll decide on flattening it or not.

How badass would it be if they could mold the correct weight into the rim just like the "Vector", "Gyro", PDGA Approved", and "MVP Disc Sports"?

discspeed said:
I'm noticing that the Vectors I'm using a lot have already had enough of the silver sharpie rubbed off the wing so that you cannot read the weight. Maybe sharpie on the inner rim would stay with the disc longer?
clearly you don't do any receiving at your sponsor's shop :lol:

silver sharpie on the wing couldn't be better. if it wears off in the user's hands, fine! it's up to them to preserve that info on the disc or elsewhere. and btw, all the Vectors i weighed at work were spot-on. i can't name another company that hits the broad side of a barn with their weights/range-stickers.

tl;dr ... manufacturer's disappearing ink = another step forward.

I've found my favorite Vectors...red 178 with slight and even dome. My original testers were a 177 with a moderate dome (bigger than the 178) and a 177.9 with a very small dome. The 178 does seem a bit more gyroscopic, and the dome does seem to help with glide as well. Overall the 178 seems to glide the best out of the ones I've tried.

Today I can say that I'm finally starting to really feel a "touch" with my Vector...It's more overstable from a flat release than anything I've had in my bag in years, so it's taken a bit of a learning curve to get it. I'm really getting there now though. Today I really felt Iike I was getting effortless D out of it by throwing it with the perfect release angle (usually slight to moderate anny) and letting the disc do it's thing. I put several in the shadow of the basket during today's round primarily throwing through the kind of crosswinds that require some guesswork with my Buzzzes. I really feel like my commitment to learn the Vector is improving the consistency of my mid game since I'm throwing hyzers and flex shots in some places where I used to throw a straight shot with my Buzzz. I've long known that this was a weakness of my game, but I'd just never found a mid more overstable than the Buzzz that I liked in my hand and in the air. The Vector flies like I've always wanted the Roc to for me, but never has.

Booter said:
good thing i have my kenny glows otherwise the vector would be the perfect overstable compliment to my buzzz's

Sell a Kenny Glow and buy a couple Vectors :idea: ...I have a Kenny USDGC 4x Glow Roc, and the Vector is similar, but upgraded in every way. It's a touch faster, a touch more stable, and with a bit more glide.

Booter said:
ummm how about u just sell me the kenny glow and we'll both b happy ? :)

It's got the first autograph Kenny signed after winning his 12th Worlds on it...

I'm not sure what to think after finally trying out my Vector. After a day or so of sitting out, the dome ended up going back to where it was when I got it. A few of my throws went kind of like I had expected, going somewhat straight then fading on me. I had a couple throws that flew like my Pains, in a shallow S. Then I actually had a throw that burned. The only thing I'm thinking is that on the throws that I didnt get enough on, the gyro effect wasn't kicking in and it was flying more like my Champ Roc. My Champ Roc is a disc that I can over-torque and get to turn some, or turn and burn. I think the throws that went straighter for me were the ones that I threw with enough for the gyro to kick in a little bit and overcome my over torque-ing. But even those throws did not have as much glide as I had expected. I can kind of see some potential in the disc, but I don't think it's right for me right now. Maybe once I have better form, this disc might become the CFR C-PD of mid ranges for me, and be kind of in between the Pain and the Gator.

picked one up today before my tourney and i like only got to toss it a few times but it felt nice and it really is a polished clean looking disc.

I'm jaded toward disc looks playing on a course that puts the discs through a grinder so i don't mind but i was wondering about the ecstatic descriptions of smoothness etc. I mean do you guys sleep with them? 8) I may be the first one to report to have gotten a mismolded Vector. I'll try to throw one tomorrow but there was a storm today and it'll continue tomorrow and there's a small matter of ice on the ground.

I love mine. It's ectoplasm green so it's easy to spot in the veg, and flies like a much smoother Hornet for me.

I have a Hornet and it's windy so i thought to compare two different weight Wasps too against the Vector today. Ice on the ground so it will be limited in value for information gathering.

MVP offered to replace mine but i won't bite unless they fly wonky which i don't think will be the case. I'll ask specifics from them about the issues i noticed because what i perceive to be faults may be what they intended and be regular occurence.

What faults are you talking about? My flat orange one has a slightly misaligned overmold, which makes it straighter than the other ones.

I don't wanna recount the issues other than dome variance because the issues have been rectified already. Mine belong to the first 100 discs so the rest should be fine. This is per private correspondence with MVP. I don't see troubles ahead for anyone. The issues were cosmetic and no worse than that of the largest manufacturers.

I have an ectoplasm green 175 and a red 178. The red is about as tall as a DX Ranchero or slightly taller but the height increases at the center, not the outer edge area like with Rocs. Green is very slightly taller than Buzzz in the flightplate. Basically the hand feel is the slickest Buzzz with a Roc/Wasp bead on the bottom. The red seems a little slower and it will fade earlier and harder. I didn't take notice exactly how much more left and shorter they were but it was between Wasp and green Vector. Green Vector went 330' several times in rear winds which is best performance so far on average distance wise i've had and i was throwing from a puddle on top of astroturf at about freezing point. Moderate to heavy wind gusts. Both Vectors flipped a little in the headwinds and reliably came back. I can try to imitate the lack of fade of a Z Buzzz only on the lowest of throws. Not much higher than my head.

Vectors are less HSS than the Glo Z Stalker i was carrying for reference. From head height to maybe about 8' apex the difference in fade change from minimal to a little is similar but higher than that Stalker fades more. Stalkers naturally go farther because they are faster. Vector is so good on low lines and long for a mid that i have a dilemma concerning bag building. Vector is smack dab in the middle of Glo Z Stalker and Z Buzzz. Carrying all three may be overkill. My preference is laser line throw which is limited with the Vector but given a low line they still go almost as far as the Stalker, farther than Z Buzzz, and fade less than Stalkers as a norm but only a little. Only usage in tunnels will tell if the Vector is low fade enough. It isn't most likely in uphill situations. Only extensive playing on different courses can tell for sure but Z Glo Buzzz with the higher fade than Z Buzzz is around the same HSS as the flatter 175 Vector. But the Glo Z Buzzz ain't exactly straight at the end and neither is the Vector. Glo Z Buzzz and Vector overlap badly other than the D. If thrown at full power. I didn't pull power once with the Vector because that's Z Buzzz domain for me.

I suspect that X Buzzz, Z Buzzz and Vector could work great together if overstable midrange duty is given to pulled power driver shots. If not i like me both D and ESP Zones although they are very different. The only instance where i can imagine benefit to ESP Zone is sick headwind and durability in rough places. Gators are nice too but once i get more comfortable with the Zones who knows. The only reason i haven't switched to D Zone/ESP Zone combo is that i play on courses where ESP is often too much and D won't survive.

I also tried out a 166 VP and it seems like a straight copy of a Star 175 Rhyno except on the best throws i got the VP to 260'. That's 10' more than Rhyno. Both take moderate headwinds well and flip in hard headwinds. Both fly without fade when thrown to around 240'+. That laser performance is great but i fear there is too much of a gap to a Vector. Silly me i didn't bring premium Jokeri because the weather was perfect for it. It should be longer so it might work with a Vector. At least if i ease up on the laser requirement in the end of the flight.

I threw my Sparkle Squall and it went to 330' as well but was totally at the mercy of the wind. I need to hyzer flip it to flat and release Vectors flat without any flip. Together they may be a beautiful couple. Both are tweeners but if you get too little distance difference between longer than Rhyno and VP putters and mids i could very well see something like less than max weight Ridge mated to Vector Squall combo giving long enough tunnel laser performance in many conditions. Sure there will be cases where a Z Buzzz over the distance of the Ridge may count but that's probably not the norm. Using a Vector alone won't work in the worst winds but it can be helped by FW drivers that take winds. Glo Z Stalker is one such disc unless you need to throw uphill.

There are many intriguing combinations available if you are willing to go less than full minimalism and are willing to disc down. To me that means long putter instead of mid to tweener like Vector and Squall instead of FW driver and an even longer tweener like Stalker against headwinds winds if need be and then Beast/Surge SS/Opto Flow instead of max D discs for most cases. And King, Nuke and broken in DD2 for showing off or throwing far and above objects. Yup Nuke and DD2 have competition. Although without direct comparison i think King may be weight for weight slightly shorter. Force is good for long headwinds, sidearm and pulled power hog stable mid range shots if more skip than Gator/D Zone is needed.

I don't have time to test out all the combinations before going to the Dutch Open to film but i think Vector allows for a solid bag to all kinds of courses with all kinds of elevation changes and differing wind conditions. Necessities for me playing on different courses by the sea throwing up and down a ski jumping hill and longer grassy courses.

Before anyone commnents yes i called Glo Z Stalker a tweener and a FW driver. I'd say a Z Stalker is the longest tweener and Glo Z Stalker is a short FW driver. I vastly prefer it to my Opto River which is way better than GL River.

Are you having some slight/possibly unnoticed grip issues with the Vector? I've thrown a bunch of different Vectors, and they have all been more HSS and LSS than any Stalker or Buzzz I've ever thrown. All I know is, your results are probably not going to be replicated by many others unless you've really got some freak Vectors.

Quite possibly it is me because i flip Rocs and Teebirds and don't Buzzzes and Stalkers. I don't have any problems in rear winds or the few lulls in the winds with the VEctor because they didn't flip then. Only in headwind was there any flippage and usually it was just a few degrees. The fade changed a lot depending on the height of the throws. The domey Vector certainly fades more than Stalkers let alone Buzzzes. MVP wrote that based on my description of the discs they belong to the first hundred discs made and some issues i nitoced have been rectified. So i don't know if later discs fly the same as those first 100. And they are very different from each other in flight and dome height. AT least two probably three millimeters of added height in the middle for the more LSS red 178 vs green 175 that is just mildly higher in the flight plate than flat top Z Buzzzes from last year. Because i haev two very different looking and flying VEctors that are different from regular discs i think i have no clue whatsoever as to how standard Vectors fly.

Discs can be very different as shown by prototype two King vs production. Proto is wind beater that needs anny and production, albeit lighter, needs hyzer and doesn't like winds in 166.

I had a Glo Z Stalker in my bag for a long time, it was pretty HSS. I replaced it with a flat ESP Cyclone for grip. Both of these were considerably more HSS than my Vector. I haven't tried any other Stalkers, it sounds like the Z Glo's the beefinest of the Stalker clan.

I had a similar bag situation with the Vector currently bracket it with a medium Ion and a Squall. Between forehand and backhand throws, I feel like my mid shots are covered with Ion/Vector/Squall.