• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

Some Proton discs (mostly seen on Eclipse) have a more opaque core that has pearly swirls in it, its a little more firm and grippy than regular proton - I have a couple Volts and an Amp that looks like this. I've just heard from others they call it FX plastic, but I guess its just a blend of Proton - pearly more opaque, grippy. They are out there, from my experience they are on the more Stable-Overstable side of things.

like the OG bronze teslas

Some Proton discs (mostly seen on Eclipse) have a more opaque core that has pearly swirls in it, its a little more firm and grippy than regular proton - I have a couple Volts and an Amp that looks like this. I've just heard from others they call it FX plastic, but I guess its just a blend of Proton - pearly more opaque, grippy. They are out there, from my experience they are on the more Stable-Overstable side of things.

Like proton that had a little bit of plasma blended into it, that's how I would describe them

Picked up an Eclipse. So flat it's almost puddle-topped. Are they normally sparkly?

IMG20181113191233690.jpg

I bag a wrath that's even more sparkly. It's the slightly softer/grippier proton also.

Never thrown a Volt. Got a 173g neutron on the way. Are Neutron Volts usually flat or do they have dome?

Also, if anyone has the energy - how do you think a Volt would impact my current bag?

Would love if it were able to help me consolidate somehow. That's my disc golf goal for the summer.

they can be flat or domey, flippy or beefy, i've seen wide variance in volts over the years.

If its a "normal" volt then it will fly with a little turn but not flippy, and a very forward slow penetrating fade.. it will fly longer than most speed 8 discs.

I ultimately found Volts unnecessary, a Wrath was consistently more easy and reliable for the shots i used to make with a volt and they break in to fly like i wanted a volt to fly.

Your bag already has some overlap, adding a Volt to it will only add even more overlap between the TBird/Stalker/CD2, the volt will likely be longer for you though.. but then why not just use a faster disc like your CD2? you are going to have a hard time deciding what to throw with all that overlap... even the thunderbird might overlap.

ive learned over the years to pick an overstable and stable choice for each speed category and leave it at that, maybe cycle some of them

Last edited:
Never thrown a Volt. Got a 173g neutron on the way. Are Neutron Volts usually flat or do they have dome?

Also, if anyone has the energy - how do you think a Volt would impact my current bag?

Would love if it were able to help me consolidate somehow. That's my disc golf goal for the summer.

Neutron Volts are usually flat to small dome, barring first runs. They tend to have almost as much late fade as a Thunderbird but almost the distance of a Valk.

They fly a lot like a flat top Z Wasp, but of course faster.

There is almost no overlap with the Energy. There is some overlap with a Tesla.... but the Volt is much better.

Energy is faster and more overstable than anything in your bag. If you doubled the speed of your Resistor and made the fade more aggressive that's a rough idea of what you'll get.

The Volt will be similar in speed to the Thunderbird, but straighter with more glide. Should fly like a faster Teebird. Between these three molds you will definitely have overlap, and will have to decide which you like best

THUNDERBIRD | WRAITH | CD2
FD3 | RESISTOR | TEEBIRD | STALKER DRONE | BUZZZ | METEOR
BERG | PA1 | ROACH

Lets try this again. Your Volt should sit right between the Thunderbird and the Wraith. Yes there will be overlap, but the Volt could take the place of both those discs.

The only reason I can see keeping the Thunderbird over the Volt is if you throw 450' plus. That extra stability might be worth it then.

I am judging this as a clean thrower( maybe a touch nose up) with max d of about 345'.

energy as in looking at my bag & evaluating where the Volt would fit. Not Energy the mold. But thanks everyone for chiming on my post.

It really depends what kind of Volt you get(I suspect your neutron will be pretty beefy though), I bag champ Thunderbird, s-line CD2(like broken in Thunderbird) and flat plasma Volt(neutral'ish,can force turnovers with this one)

so you can make it work