• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

Sorry if this was already asked but just looking for clarification...

Anyone have an opinion as to whether the different colors actually alter the flight characteristics? Any official MVP stance on this inquiry?

I have and have had a lot of MVP discs. In my experience color does not make a big difference in the flights of MVP discs. The issue with color is that it can influence how the plastic molds...Some colors might want to come out way domey and others flat, but MVP is on top of this and they take measures to make sure that all the discs are coming out as close to one another as possible. We know from the past that the pink FR Axis came out domey and were overstable, but many people flattened their pink Axis with hot water and it made them straight.

I think it's much more important to pay attention to domes/beads when comparing MVP discs than the colors. For example I have 5 176 Neutron Axis that are flat, 2 yellow and 3 red. I noticed that one of the reds has just a teeny bit higher shoulder than the other 4, enough so I can feel it in the hand. Out of those 5 Axis the other 4 all fly exactly the same, but the one higher shouldered disc is a bit more stable. So it was dome and not color that was making the difference.

Now to totally contradict myself...all my most overstable proton discs happen to be pink(both w/black and eclipse overmolds). They are all shaped overstable as well though (my pink Ion has a high overmold/huge bead, my pink Vectors are flat on the wing and pop up in the center).

yo PABLO! we've got the store stocked with them... I would go eyeball the domes and PLH, take some candidates out to the Driving Range, and let us know what you think!

I'm sending you some pearlish blue C-FDs to the store on the 4pm train........... just sayin' ... you got stuff to do there anyway :thmbup:

SO....Who will be the first to "mistreat" a Volt into understability? Because of the glide and propensity to fade I have a feeling the Volt will be the ultimate turnover disc, but I just can't bring myself to abuse one...yet.

Woo! Got these coming from community discs:
168 BLUE
175 WHITE
173 RED
Plus I have one coming from gggt that should be here tomorrow. I asked for a really light weight so I might try to beat that one in quickly. :)

SO....Who will be the first to "mistreat" a Volt into understability? Because of the glide and propensity to fade I have a feeling the Volt will be the ultimate turnover disc, but I just can't bring myself to abuse one...yet.
Now that they're out, I will own up to being the first idiot to put one on the roof.

20 minutes into our day-one love-fest with one of my four testers, I put a big sweeping hyzer about 2 feet too low, and it got caught by the warehouse's tin roof. Hasn't come down yet. Shame too, because we were throwing that one around the parking lot PRECISELY to beat some stability out. None of my other ones have been thrown onto unfriendly surfaces.

We are about to lose daylight savings...An Eclipse Volt would sure round out my night golf bag...

Won some cash in poker last night, logged on to DGC today to pick up a Volt but they don't have them! Obviously I could order one from another site, but it's very surprising to see that DGC didn't decide to preorder Volts...
They're up.

They're up.

I called them this morning and the person who answered had no idea what they were talking about. They said that "only the prototypes had been released." Sounds like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

I also see DGC has the Volt rated as a speed 7. Interesting.

I called them this morning and the person who answered had no idea what they were talking about. They said that "only the prototypes had been released." Sounds like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

I also see DGC has the Volt rated as a speed 7. Interesting.
I'd imagine they're all over the place with the move and may have some new staff on board that isn't quite up to speed. :confused:

I kept telling myself not to buy this disc. I have enough TeeBirds, I am satisfied with TeeBirds for what I need in that slot, I do not want to reinvest in another disc because if I like I must have at least 5 of them to spread over my bags/ back-up bags, and I really just need to settle on a setup and become good with that.

With that said I could not resist getting one. This better not be a miracle disc for the above mentioned reasons. I really liked the Eclipse Axis last winter and going into this spring but for whatever reason it soured on me and was removed from the bag. And then on a whim I picked up a Neutron Axis two weeks ago and was amazed by how much easier it is to throw than the Eclipse or Proton Axis. It has made its way back into my bag, especially after I said my bag is solidified.

I should have my Volt in my hands by Saturday and I am playing in a non-sanctioned tournament, what a perfect time to try it out.

I'd imagine they're all over the place with the move and may have some new staff on board that isn't quite up to speed. :confused:

Yea, not to derail the thread too much...

If you have a new release, make a quick email, or quick reminder to your entire staff. "Hey guys, if anyone calls today, we have our Volts in stock, and will have them up on the website this afternoon."

It takes like 1 minute.

Anyway....

/end rant.

I kept telling myself not to buy this disc. I have enough TeeBirds, I am satisfied with TeeBirds for what I need in that slot, I do not want to reinvest in another disc because if I like I must have at least 5 of them to spread over my bags/ back-up bags, and I really just need to settle on a setup and become good with that.

It doesn't fly like a teebird.

Just ordered a stormtrooper volt from DGC. I was surprised to see the teebird ratings too.

Played a round this afternoon with my two Volts. Pink and White, both marked 175. Conditions: Beautiful, 75 and sunny, 17mph winds. I got a few tosses in calmer conditions last night as well. I picked the pink one to start abusing first. I was surprised to find that there was some high speed turn in my 320-340' shots. It wasn't unmanageable, and I agree with discspeed about having some OAT in the adjustment phase.

But, I broke the white one out today and it was as stable as reported/expected. Some turn into the 17mph winds we're having today, seems normal. Where the white one held its lines, the pink one flipped and carried way right when the wind got under it. I'm positive it's not user error, they definitely don't fly the same. I consistently got more turn (and about 15-20' more distance) out of the pink one. Measured ~110-120 paces.

They're both consistent, so I'm happy with that. The stable white one is where I wanted to get my S-PD, and the turny pink one is where I wanted my P-PD to stay! They're bagged for now. :D

Just posted a long reply in maybe the wrong Volt thread. Anyway, I got mine on Wednesday from a local shop. I picked up a pink and a white, both were marked 175. The Pink (light pink) one has a significantly more turn than the white.

Let me rephrase that.

The pink one turns and the white one doesn't. Throwing about 330-350 in various directions of 17-20mph winds today, the results were very consistent. The headwind would turn the white one, naturally, but it was dead stable in calm conditions. Dunno about MVP's consistency crown, but personally, I don't mind. I wanted a stable one and a turning one, and this way I don't have to beat one up first.

Just posted a long reply in maybe the wrong Volt thread. Anyway, I got mine on Wednesday from a local shop. I picked up a pink and a white, both were marked 175. The Pink (light pink) one has a significantly more turn than the white.

Let me rephrase that.

The pink one turns and the white one doesn't. Throwing about 330-350 in various directions of 17-20mph winds today, the results were very consistent. The headwind would turn the white one, naturally, but it was dead stable in calm conditions. Dunno about MVP's consistency crown, but personally, I don't mind. I wanted a stable one and a turning one, and this way I don't have to beat one up first.

How is the dome and height of the overmold?

Kind of surprised to hear that since all four testers I got fly pretty much identical, but like you said it saves you the trou le of beating one up so that's cool. I have a specific Volt I throw on wooded holes etc. hoping to break it in quicker and two heavier Volts for more stable lines, had the same idea as you.

I suppose the overmold is ever-so-slightly higher on the white, the domes appear to be about the same. I didn't do a water volume measurement between the two, but I cant see a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20121025_203018.jpg
    IMG_20121025_203018.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 108