• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My current bag

periferalFinn

New to the board and really thought this was a cool section. I'm a RHBH who throws Average/Max distances:
Driver- 350/380
Fairway- 300/330
Mid- 200/230
Putter- 150/170

Drivers:
2x Z Force (172) - Primary Driver
ESP proto Nuke & Z Nuke - both on trial right now trying to figure out how to throw. Can crush it but very inconsistent
2x Z predator - over stable driver
Z Flash - Zero Wind straight distance driver (rarely thrown)
Z Avenger SS - under stable driver
ESP XL Avenger SS - roller
Z Avenger - rarely thrown but reliable fairway driver
Z Reaper - fairway over stable

Mids:
Crystal Buzzz (175) - Solid mold that flies like a typical Buzzz
ESP Buzzz - Pretty beat up to the point where it's more like the new SS
2 ESP Hornet - 2 different weights. Used in wind as longer stable mid

Putter:
Crystal Challenger
2x Challenger

Weakest part of my game is definitely my midrange game. Lately I'll just club down with my fairway drivers. My biggest problem is my release point and getting as much distance out of my mids for them to be used off the tee.

Also, trying to find a good disc to increase my overall D which is what I'm working on with the Nuke to get a little more 'S' to my distance drives. I know I've got at least another 20'-30' in me for my avg/max but am not sure how to tap into it as my problem is I can't find a driver that will 'hook up' with a nice consistent S.

Any thoughts would be awesome.

Since you seem like a Discraft guy I'd suggest throwing that Flash you have more and checking out a Surge SS and perhaps a regular Surge for big hyzers. Those discs should be fairly workable for you in that 350-380' range. The Force and Nuke are just going to fade out on you too soon at 350' for you to get much glide out of them.

I would pick up some more buzz and work on your mid game. I would guess you are throwing everything on low line drives and it is killing your distance. If you can throw a fairway 300' average then there's no reason why you can't throw a mid at least 250'. Also I would shelve the Nukes for the time being.

With your drivers, are you throwing a hyzer flip(turnover) or anhyzer for that big S-shot? Being as that only the Avenger SS is remotely understable disc you have I would assume the anhyzer.

I would pick up some more buzz and work on your mid game. I would guess you are throwing everything on low line drives and it is killing your distance. If you can throw a fairway 300' average then there's no reason why you can't throw a mid at least 250'. Also I would shelve the Nukes for the time being.

With your drivers, are you throwing a hyzer flip(turnover) or anhyzer for that big S-shot? Being as that only the Avenger SS is remotely understable disc you have I would assume the anhyzer.

Part of my problem with mid range is that I have a harder time with release points and will yank them right when I try to 'over throw' them. Sorry, don't mean to get into game analysis here if that's not what we're supposed to have. But I completely agree that I need to find a way to incorporate this disc into my game because when I do connect on a Buzzz it is a beautiful flight pattern.

Interesting on the Nukes. I thought maybe they'd be discs that I could start to throw on an anhyzer line and have them hook up and get a lot of glide. So far it seems like I can get that about 40% of the time.

I typically throw the SS on an anhyzer line and it will stay on that for right turning holes. My main one definitely doesn't 'flip' very well. The ESP one that I use for rollers can be thrown flip hyzer but it's very inconsistent. I really don't have many discs that can be thrown as flip hyzers although I'd like to think I have the arm speed to pull it off if I could find the right discs but so far I can't find one out of the box that will.

Weakest part of my game is definitely my midrange game. Lately I'll just club down with my fairway drivers. My biggest problem is my release point and getting as much distance out of my mids for them to be used off the tee.

Also, trying to find a good disc to increase my overall D which is what I'm working on with the Nuke to get a little more 'S' to my distance drives. I know I've got at least another 20'-30' in me for my avg/max but am not sure how to tap into it as my problem is I can't find a driver that will 'hook up' with a nice consistent S.

Any thoughts would be awesome.
My thinking is that you're having an issue with the larger diameter of most mids compared to drivers/putters. You can take a short cut and experiment with smaller diam. mids but what I'd suggest is getting something like a Fuse/Comet/QMS/P-MD2/Coyote/Mako and really hunker down with it, learn to shape all sorts of lines and float them rather than crush them like a driver.

I like to S-curve for D also, the trick is to use drivers that can be turned over easily enough (by throwing too fast rather than with anny but still fade back.
Part of my problem with mid range is that I have a harder time with release points and will yank them right when I try to 'over throw' them. Sorry, don't mean to get into game analysis here if that's not what we're supposed to have. But I completely agree that I need to find a way to incorporate this disc into my game because when I do connect on a Buzzz it is a beautiful flight pattern.
No, feel free to divulge all the game analysis you want, it really helps diagnose whether it's you, the disc, both, etc. My guess is you're trying too hard to crush the Buzzz like a driver. Just try throwing it flat or hyzer with lots of clean snap. Do this, and with enough height under it, you'll be able get the Buzzz out to nearly 300' easily enough if your driver distances are accurate.

If you like the buzzz, you may want to try lighter weights and different plastic. Higher end plastics usually have less glide. Maybe a pro d or elite x buzzz in the 165 to 170 range would help out.

I like to S-curve for D also, the trick is to use drivers that can be turned over easily enough (by throwing too fast rather than with anny but still fade back.

So got any good recommendations for this? SS Surge seems to be the most common recommendation. I have a pretty high speed release and so far if I want to get a nice S on any of the discs I have in my bag it has to be with an anny release and I'd prefer to find something that flips a little better.

No, feel free to divulge all the game analysis you want, it really helps diagnose whether it's you, the disc, both, etc. My guess is you're trying too hard to crush the Buzzz like a driver. Just try throwing it flat or hyzer with lots of clean snap. Do this, and with enough height under it, you'll be able get the Buzzz out to nearly 300' easily enough if your driver distances are accurate.

Threw the Buzzz a ton this weekend trying to force myself to use it and this advice really helped. I realized how much I tend to overthrow them when I stepped back and paid attention. GREAT advice here BrotherDave. Thanks man.

So got any good recommendations for this? SS Surge seems to be the most common recommendation. I have a pretty high speed release and so far if I want to get a nice S on any of the discs I have in my bag it has to be with an anny release and I'd prefer to find something that flips a little better.

Most any stable mold will do this if you can throw it faster than it likes, especially as the disc wears in. My favorite driver is an Eagle-X for this exact reason, it has just enough turn or less HSS that turning it over is less guesswork (as opposed to a more HSS disc like a Teebird) but it has healthy fade to protect you from turn and burns.

If you really want to dial in timing the flip and fade of a disc, learning how to hyzerflip understable discs are great b/c the flippy-ness is so exaggerated, you can tell right away if you're doing it right.

With your Nuke, I'd pay attention on whether you're keeping the nose down enough, nose up can rob a disc of a lot of S-curving action.

Latest posts