• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NC to Hilton Head

vonDrehle

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Heading to Hilton Head June 15-22 and wanted to get some suggestions for the trip down and back. I was thinking one on the way down and one on the way up to split up the drive. Probably try and keep it Columbia and below since I can take day trips to courses more north.

While I'm down there if I have time I plan on trying out The Sarge and Tom Triplett DGC. Also thinking maybe Trophy Lakes in Charleston one day but it depends on how much time I have.

There's not a heck of a lot to choose from, starting with Columbia, and excluding the courses near Hilton Head. You're probably looking at Columbia or Orangeburg. I'd recommend

Southeast Park---on the southeast side of Columbia, only a couple of miles from an I-77 exit. Columbia's newest, pretty challenging, with lots of variety.

Earlewood as an alternative. A very fun, rather short course. I'll be easy to get to, but you'll have to backtrack about 10 miles, or drive through the city, to continue your trek.

Trophy Lakes is great, and you can take a half-day to vacation in Charleston, which I highly recommend.

(Stoney Hill is well off the route you've marked. At any rate, it won't be available on the way down. If you don't mind the extra driving, I think it's a pretty good choice.)

I wouldn't mind taking one of those alternate routes if it swung me by a good course to try out.

^I thought Owens Field in Columbia was WAY better than Earlwood.
Stoney Hill is awesome. I'm surprised I haven't been back yet.
DSCJNKY

Slightly beyond Hilton Head is The Sarge and Tom Tripplett. I enjoyed both courses... and they're relatively close together.
DSCJNKY

^I thought Owens Field in Columbia was WAY better than Earlwood.

That's a minority view, though firmly held by that minority. Owens is a love-it-or-hate-it course. if you love it, you'll almost certainly love Southeast Park a whole lot more. Earlewood is not a championship course or super-challenging---but it is a very fun short course, sometimes a nice thing when traveling, and popular with even a lot of top players.

I wouldn't mind taking one of those alternate routes if it swung me by a good course to try out.

You'll have to look it up, but I'd guess a detour to Stoney Hill will add an hour to your driving time. I know when we drive to and through Hickory, we don't have to double-back through Columbia.

Check it out; I could be off on my guess. If the extra driving isn't an issue and you want to visit on your way home, let me know.

Had a few papers I had to write and didn't want to do them on my trip so I stayed home an extra day. Going to leave early in the morning and will probably try and play Earlewood on the way down.

Navigation at Earlewood is pretty easy, but here are a few tips:

Hole 1 is behind the building. The building is actually two buildings with a covered attachment; you can walk between them. There is no sign pointing you to it.

"Next Tee" is usually obvious but if not, a rung on the bottom of each basket has been colored, pointing the way to the next tee.

When walking from 9 to 10, you cross the #1 fairway. Don't let that throw you.

Awesome, thank you :D. I should be able to let you know by Wednesdayish if I will be able to make it out to Stoney Hill on my way back.

Sounds good. I assume your way back is on Sunday. If Saturday, heads up that we're running a Juniors disc golf event down the road at Crooked Creek, so won't be back to Stoney Hill until later in the day.

Looks like I won't be able to make it out this trip. I'll be heading home either last Friday night or first thing Saturday morning. I'll try and make it your way the next time I do a SC camping trip. Gonna play The Sarge first thing tomorrow morning.

I played the front 9 at Savannah today.... it was ok.... left after that because of the insane amount of mosquitos. No thanks... make sure you take some bugspray if you are playing in the area.

Man, those were the biggest mosquitoes I've ever seen. If if you hit them the little b*stards would give you the finger and come back at you. We had to keep spraying constantly on the front 9. I didn't play too great but only had 2 go in the water playing the gold tees and they were both rolls ins so they were easy to recover.

Latest posts