• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nearest course not mired in snow?

Putting some finishing touches on a three week trip to Jackson Mississippi and Shreveport Louisiana for the end of Feb. The snow might be gone here by then, but I ain't taking any chances.

Shreveport is a chit hole. Don't stop at red lights or you'll get stabbed, shot, or carjacked .. or some combination of the three. Almost hit a dude walking next to the freeway who was tweaking on meth.

I played about 10 holes of Brian Harrison Memorial DGC in pouring rain and a severe back ache before I called it a day (which is why I decided not to review it for now) but it looks really good. If you can get to Texarkana, Spillway is awesome if you're a fan of woods courses.

Shreveport is a chit hole. Don't stop at red lights or you'll get stabbed, shot, or carjacked .. or some combination of the three. Almost hit a dude walking next to the freeway who was tweaking on meth.

I played about 10 holes of Brian Harrison Memorial DGC in pouring rain and a severe back ache before I called it a day (which is why I decided not to review it for now) but it looks really good. If you can get to Texarkana, Spillway is awesome if you're a fan of woods courses.
Still working on the Louisiana part of the trip. Been to Texarkana for a week, one day. Need to get a course in Louisiana. Could just shoot over the border from Mississippi. Any suggestions?

Still working on the Louisiana part of the trip. Been to Texarkana for a week, one day. Need to get a course in Louisiana. Could just shoot over the border from Mississippi. Any suggestions?

I've only played the one course in Louisiana, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Putting some finishing touches on a three week trip to Jackson Mississippi and Shreveport Louisiana for the end of Feb. The snow might be gone here by then, but I ain't taking any chances.
I recommend Chautauqua Park, about 30min south of Jackson. Very hilly and wooded. Not cart friendly with plenty of steep hills, and not easy course to navigate (U-Disc recommended), but some really nice holes.

I enjoyed it more than Ross Barnett Reservoir.

Last edited:
I recommend Chautauqua Park, about 30min south of Jackson. Very hilly and wooded. Not cart friendly with plenty of steep hills, and not easy course to navigate (U-Disc recommended), but some really nice holes.

Chatauqua does look good, I'd like to play there one of these days.

Ross Barnett is a fun spin. Nice mix of woods and semi-open with a couple of beautiful water holes by the lake. Hole 18 is currently unplayable for construction, and it looks like that may be the case for a while.

We managed to avoid most of the snow so far in the Cinci area, but have some dicey weather coming tomorrow. With luck I'll be able to get a round or two in this weekend.

You guys are lucky; the ones who say the snow will melt soon. On our high desert piece of property we're covered in more inches of snow than I can count and the high has been in the negatives (f) at times. Last year the snow didn't melt until the end of May, I'm guessing similar this year. It's finally near freezing so I've broken out the ribbon and duck tape to try and brave a round today. All of my disc golfing for the next several months will be under snow and ice. Actually thinking of buying a winter home in Texas.

It is so nice to play in the snow though. I love having zero bugs flying around my face when trying to putt. I live in northern nevada and the one thing I am working on with my 2 1/4 acres is putting a covered pad that I can throw from. It will remove the majority of the snow issues. What about bringing a big ol pop up gazebo to all the disc golf course? haha :unsure:

1706227856863.png

Snow cover in Tennessee and Kentucky has melted since last week. I'm not showing the west, it looks like there's snow at higher elevation and none at lower out that way.

It will be reaching 40 over the next few days around me. Snow cover is pretty light but still there. I think I'd rather play in a couple inches than wait for full melt/mud.