• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Nebula" Style Dye Tutorial

Are you using the iDye for cloth or poly synthetics? What is your mordant for plastic?

I answered my own question by reading the first few pages. Cool process and results!

I have two more dyes setting up right now from last night. Can't wait to pull them out when I get home. Dyed one with Rasta colors :) Might throw a Bob dye over top of it.

Silver-Grey Idye Poly

Does the Idye Poly Silver-Grey look black when it's mixed in water? Mine looks dark black with half a packet and 32oz of water. It also dyed black on a blue star disc. Maybe I dyed it too long or maybe it was labeled wrong?

Does the Idye Poly Silver-Grey look black when it's mixed in water? Mine looks dark black with half a packet and 32oz of water. It also dyed black on a blue star disc. Maybe I dyed it too long or maybe it was labeled wrong?

nope its normal... i found out the hard wa last night as well. never used it and it turned out way too dark for my liking.

I have read through almost half of this thread and just wanted to make sure I understand what to do so naturally I have a quick question.

Does it matter if it's detergent or soap in the base? Just make sure the bed and the dyes are something different, bed = detergent and soap = dyes or bed = soap and detergent = dyes?

Edit: just re-read and saw you said detergent mixes best with dye in your experience.

I have read through almost half of this thread and just wanted to make sure I understand what to do so naturally I have a quick question.

Does it matter if it's detergent or soap in the base? Just make sure the bed and the dyes are something different, bed = detergent and soap = dyes or bed = soap and detergent = dyes?

Edit: just re-read and saw you said detergent mixes best with dye in your experience.

My last few soap dyes I dyed I was using the following:

Laundry detergent mixed with the dyes / May want to give a night exposed to air to thicken up so its not too runny.

Then for the base I have actually been using Dollar General Dish Gel since I find its thicker and holds the designs better.

It definitely takes some trial and error. And just for fair warning this method tends to destroy stamps or dissolve them...especially the shiny aluminum looking ones. The regular colored stamps seem to hold okay though.

I plan to attempt at some point some other various bases to see if it will preserve the stamp better but so far its very hit or miss.

Thanks Odyssey for the advice.

So I tried using a Z plastic Zombee I had and left it in for 19 hours and it basically looks the same. Decided to drop my white Star Valkyrie that I was planning on doing something else with but the dye looked too cool to just throw away for not working with the Z plastic! I'll take it out later tonight about 8-10 hours after soaking in there.

edit: I was using iDye poly with this clear dish soap for the dyes and All free and clear laundry detergent for the base

Latest posts