• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Nebula" Style Dye Tutorial

I got a couple Gold line mid ranges with some tourney funny money a few weeks ago. This weekend I decided to try to figure out how do a decent SC dye since I have not been able to figure it out.

I tried the gold line Core in a circular pan to prevent the sc from spreading. It worked, but there were also alot of air bubbles - not a huge fan of it.

Then with the Star Kite I tried a much shallower plate I normally use and voila! It worked! Definitely using this plate for all SC dyes now, so happy with how this came out.

Attachments

• 0427140858.jpg
    0427140858.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 0427141724a.jpg
    0427141724a.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 160
Since I was already dyeing, I also messed around with some painting.

These are basically a reverse nebula dye. By that I mean it is just a dye and detergent mix, but instead of setting the disc on the dye, I set the dye on the disc.

The first is a pearly white gold line mace, and the second is a yellow Tournament Boatman.

Attachments

• 0427141403b.jpg
    0427141403b.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 0427142014c.jpg
    0427142014c.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 178
Couple more pics of the Mace

Attachments

• 0427140950.jpg
    0427140950.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 0427141409b.jpg
    0427141409b.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 0427141405.jpg
    0427141405.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 131
Lovin the mace and the kite!!! Great job :thmbup:

That mace almost looks like an artists work ive seen before. Cant remember the name... Very SICK though! That technique shows promising results.

Can you post a pic of your setup for the SC bed? or at least the plate itself? I need to re-learn this technique and improve on my setup.

Thx

Here's the bed.

I don't have any pics of the plate itself, I'll post one when I get home.

Basically I think my main mistake previously was just using way too much SC. I always wanted to have it nice and smooth, so I filled the plate all the way to the rim so I could easily smooth it out with a meterstick. This time I only filled it to the point where the bed was as wide as the disc, which made it spread out much less and work much better. Tougher to smooth out, but I just let it sit for a while and it settled into a nice smooth surface.

Attachments

• SCbed.jpg
    SCbed.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 121
is scott helms, wondernut? i just posted some nebula style discs to my page and i was unboxed from scott asking me to not use the term nebula when describing this style of dyeing, as it is wondernuts term... he was very polite, but, imo, i feel you can't claim sole ownership of a technique or style... what should i do?

update, a few messages back and forth, and it turns out he is wonder nut, so out of respect for the man who coined this style, i am changing the style name to suit my own business. dibs on northern lights style dyes :D ill post sids soon. I'm at the gym being a meat head. :wall::sick:

update, a few messages back and forth, and it turns out he is wonder nut, so out of respect for the man who coined this style, i am changing the style name to suit my own business.. :wall::sick:

:thmbdown: Does he want the name of this thread changed as well?

If I ever start selling them I wont call them nebulas but until then i will continue to do just that. I guess everyone has to coin their own name for that now, and brainwave too, someone probably coined that, and fly dye too, etc, etc.

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and grab "galactic" as my name for it...

yeah I'm actually torn between northern lights and galaxy dyes... but honestly, i do not give a single **** if we all use the same exact name... in the end, were all doing dyes... so are we supposed to all call dyes something different? its fine and I'm 100% ok w him asking and ill gladly abide, he is, after all, a for front in development of lots of the styles we use... but as a whole, i hope we all don't have to "coin" our own term for each style of dyes... like I've said in other posts... i do this as a business, and I'm not going to lose sleep over some one doing northern lights dyes...

Yeah, it kinda seems like a d-bag move on wondernut's part, maybe I'll churn out a butt load then sell them all on Facebook and do everything I can to rip him off, because you can't copyright a style...

Here's my latest nebula/galatic/northern lights paint job ;).

I shouldn't have used the darker colors behind the stencil becasue it took so dark it kind of obscures some parts, but oh well.

Attachments

• triad.jpg
    triad.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 171
  • triad2.jpg
    triad2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 139
update, a few messages back and forth, and it turns out he is wonder nut, so out of respect for the man who coined this style, i am changing the style name to suit my own business. dibs on northern lights style dyes :D ill post sids soon. I'm at the gym being a meat head. :wall::sick:

I had gotten the same request about a month ago. I too thought it was a bit petty, but granted his wish out of respect and trying to avoid a stupid argument. I mean people are going to buy your dyes based on the quality of your work. Not the name of the dye style you do.

:thmbdown: Does he want the name of this thread changed as well?

I dont even know how I could do this. This site wont even let you edit a single post after 5 minutes.

Yeah, it kinda seems like a d-bag move on wondernut's part, maybe I'll churn out a butt load then sell them all on Facebook and do everything I can to rip him off, because you can't copyright a style...

Yea, I wasnt a fan of it either. I just agreed to not use it to try to avoid an argument. I mostly do this as a hobby and a small (extremely small) side business. I do think its very silly though and petty on his part.

I'm surprised at you guys tbh. He asked you politely, I imagine, to change the name of the dye you do which happens to based off something he and Jeff ash worked on and you say he is a dbag or its a dbag move?

Imagine if you created a style, you named it, your known for it, people are trying to imitate it, and then start saying their Dyes are the same as yours?

He was the guy you guys were chasing to copy him and now that you can create similar results he is petty for wanting to keep his name and have you call yours something different?

I'm glad I barely come on these forums anymore.

I'm surprised at you guys tbh. He asked you politely, I imagine, to change the name of the dye you do which happens to based off something he and Jeff ash worked on and you say he is a dbag or its a dbag move?

Imagine if you created a style, you named it, your known for it, people are trying to imitate it, and then start saying their Dyes are the same as yours?

He was the guy you guys were chasing to copy him and now that you can create similar results he is petty for wanting to keep his name and have you call yours something different?

So by your logic only one musician in history would get to use the term "rock and roll" or "heavy metal". We arn't trying to sell discs call "wondernut" dyes, we are trying to share a style. If I sold a computer that I built and called it Mac, I would be in the wrong, but if I sold a computer that had an OS that worked like a Mac I would be ok and could tell Mac to piss off. If only one person got to creat something, the world would never progress, and we would be stuck without choice...

A genre which encompasses multiple styles would be the equivalent to "Dyes" He didn't ask you to not call your Dyes dyes, he asked to change the name of the dye. He didn't ssay don't do this style of dye.

I don't recall ever seeing or saying that creativity should be stifled.

Here's the bed.

I don't have any pics of the plate itself, I'll post one when I get home.

Basically I think my main mistake previously was just using way too much SC. I always wanted to have it nice and smooth, so I filled the plate all the way to the rim so I could easily smooth it out with a meterstick. This time I only filled it to the point where the bed was as wide as the disc, which made it spread out much less and work much better. Tougher to smooth out, but I just let it sit for a while and it settled into a nice smooth surface.

So your problem was the bed spreading out too much? I have the opposite problem my latest SC dyes the bed has barely moved at all and I end up with very defined lines when I wanted something more abstract and flowy.

So your problem was the bed spreading out too much? I have the opposite problem my latest SC dyes the bed has barely moved at all and I end up with very defined lines when I wanted something more abstract and flowy.

Next SC dye I do ill take some pics to try to show how much SC I use (how deep it is). The ones I was using too much for were probably close to an inch deep at least.

So you agree then that everyone who sells dyes needs to come up with their own term for any style that has a name that was coined by someone else?

Someone somwhere invented the term Brainwave. Does that mean no one else should be allowed to use that term? The pioneers of SC dyes probably coined the term marbling for that - can we no longer use that term as well? Same thing with fly dyes, hell someone somewhere invented the term tye dye. At a certain point, when a name for something like this is used by the vast majority of the people doing it, the name become public domain imo.

I give mad props to anyone who invented the dyeing methods I now use, and I mean as little offense as possible, but I do think it petty to be so concerned about what others are calling their dyes.

If he is really so concerned he should TM it.

Also, in my opinion there is a big difference between saying your dyes are the same style as his, and saying your dyes are the same as his...

Latest posts