• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Need a better headwind distance driver.

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
It's been pretty windy in Texas these last few weeks and my 164g G-Star Destroyer is just not cutting it. I bought it in this weight and plastic-type to purposely be a bit more understable and workable, and in wind less than 10 mph it's great. But with 15 mph headwinds it is turning over with a hyzer release.

Should I just buy a heavier Star/Champ Destroyer to compliment my G-Star Destroyer or is there a better option?

I max around 400'.

Yes. BUT, take your favorite one in and compare the wing height with heavier models to get one similar. If you get a super overstable heavyweight, you'll have to throw it differently. Get one similar and you should be able to throw it the same. Distance will be a little less, but flight should hold up.

I went to college in Oklahoma. I was like living in a hair dryer. Multiple times I saw white caps on really small ponds. That being said I don't have the arm for a destroyer, I'm guessing halo destroyers would be a good option though. The best option would be to escape Oklahoma ;)

I throw around 375 or so on an average good open rip. I also live in Texas.

For headwinds up to 10-15mph, my full weight Star Destroyer will S-out nicely. For anything over 15mph to 30mph, I rely on my Teal Calvin Halo Destroyer, and it is very dependable. I figure if you like your G-Star Destroyer well enough, just get a Star and Halo Star.

I like flat-ish champ destroyers for this role. No one really wants them and they're used frisbee cheap.

I'd definitely try a heavier star (not G*) Destroyer. Maybe not quite max weight. You can even look for a used one if you want to save a few bucks. G* Destroyers are good for max distance flex shots, but don't do well at all in headwinds.

If you want to go a tick faster, a star or champion Boss is another good option.

If you would want to support a Texas company and have a great headwind driver look at the Lone Star Bowie. It's a similar beef level to the max weight Destroyer and has very solid glide as well.

If you would want to support a Texas company and have a great headwind driver look at the Lone Star Bowie. It's a similar beef level to the max weight Destroyer and has very solid glide as well.

I've only just heard about Lone Star. Do they press their own discs? Does Disc Nation sell their discs? I have a Mint Alpha, which is from Austin, but I think Mint has another company press their discs.

I've only just heard about Lone Star. Do they press their own discs? Does Disc Nation sell their discs? I have a Mint Alpha, which is from Austin, but I think Mint has another company press their discs.

They do mold their own discs, and disc nation does stock them!

I'd definitely try a heavier star (not G*) Destroyer. Maybe not quite max weight. You can even look for a used one if you want to save a few bucks. G* Destroyers are good for max distance flex shots, but don't do well at all in headwinds.

If you want to go a tick faster, a star or champion Boss is another good option.

I second the Champ Boss option. If you don't have 450+ power a 170g+ Boss will hold up in stiff headwinds.

Wysocki signature stamp destroyers, 1.9 scorpius, xcaliber will all fight the wind pretty well and have a similar hand feel. Probably don't need max weight with these but I'd try to get closer to 170g instead of the low 160s that you are throwing.

Echo what everyone said. You already are familiar with and like Destroyers, so get a max weight star or champion one. Go into a store if possible and get the flattest one you can find. If it's down a few grams from max that is fine, a pancake flat one will generally be more stable than a domey one even if lighter. If you can stumble across a metal flake champ or glo champ one that would be the most ideal option. Even if you're a noodle arm it's good to have at least one absolute meathook of a driver. You can also use it to practice and figure out short forehand rollers and skip shots BH and FH/use it as a utility disc.

Latest posts