• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Need help picking a new wraith

Anselm

I just lost my Wraith, and I am going to buy a new one, but I'm thinking of switching it up a bit. I'd like some input from people who know what they're talking about. So here's the deal:

I usually throw 168-169 drivers in star plastic. The wraiths (for me) tend to fly stable brand new, and beautifully straight when slightly beat in. Then they get pretty flippy and VERY unreliable in a headwind.

What would you say of picking up a champ wraith in a lighter weight? I'm thinking 163-165. I usually hate champ plastic for anything beefier than a TL, because it is so darn overstable. Then again I have never thrown anything in such light weights, so I'm hoping it wouldn't fly quite so stable as I would expect from a heavier wraith, and maybe I could eek a bit more distance out of it (for reference, I throw ~360' consistently, max out at 400' on a perfect drive, flat no wind).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

PS please don't tell me to throw destroyers. I hate those things.

my local PIAS just recently got in some bottom stamped star wraiths and the plastic felt nice and soft and grippy. if i threw wraiths i would've picked a few of them up. maybe check around for some of this blend?

They will beat in no matter what plastic you get. I haven't found Champ plastic to be any more stable than the others. Instead do as others have suggested and get a stable compliment for them in a headwind situation.

the pro wraiths bomb, i used to throw the crap out of em, i would highly suggest a 175 with dome

Last year's CFR Champion glow wraiths feel to me like they have a little higher dome then my star wraiths do, and definitly more stable then most of the star wraiths I have even when they're brand new. Not much, but definitly noticable.

A couple of the CFR runs from last year in star plasitc are also overstable as hell, (for a wraith,) and quite stiff.

Try grabbing a random dark red star wraith off the shelf (yeah, yeah, color makes no difference.. tell that to my discs..) and see if it flys a little less flippy too.

Wraith on.

Last year's CFR Champion glow wraiths feel to me like they have a little higher dome then my star wraiths do, and definitly more stable then most of the star wraiths I have even when they're brand new. Not much, but definitly noticable.

A couple of the CFR runs from last year in star plasitc are also overstable as hell, (for a wraith,) and quite stiff.

Try grabbing a random dark red star wraith off the shelf (yeah, yeah, color makes no difference.. tell that to my discs..) and see if it flys a little less flippy too.

Wraith on.

Looking again at your post, it seems we also throw pretty much the same weights and distances if that helps, my star wraiths are 166-172 and glo are 168-70. and 350-380 distancewise, although I use wraiths for several shot types from 300-360 most of the time. (dead flat low shots mostly but a few weird ones too.)

I throw Star Wraiths as light as 162 and like 'em. Try 'em in Champ and they might stay stable a bit longer.
Its $16; you're gonna get a Wraith. JUST DO IT!!!!

Star Wraiths are money-- probably the most consistent and best distance driver I've ever thrown until they get too beat in, then they start to become flippy. Pro Wraiths can go further, but they're not as predictable or as good in the wind. Champ Wraiths are a bit beefy for my taste, and I think are better suited for people that consistently throw over 400'. Never thrown DX.

My flippy wraith is a champ, the weights on mine are a little higher than the OP, but the concept is the same. I have 2 172's one flippy champ and one stable star, then I have a 167 for max d

found a pro wraith for cheap at a gas station next to one of the local courses out here, so i picked it up on a whim. drove straight to the course, let'er rip and that thing immediately earned a spot in my bag. the disc just goes forever. unfortunately, it is starting to get a little flippy...

I used to throw pro wraiths but those were even flippier. And the star ones get finnicky fast, even with no headwind (though I did recently get a champ fb for headwind situations). In fact I have lost my past two star wraiths because they just kept drifting right and never came back, landing in ponds/thick rough.

Maybe I'm looking for this kind of response: if anybody has experience throwing champ vs star wraiths, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, has anybody drastically cut the weight of their drivers and found good results? Anyone have any input regarding how that might affect distance (or not)?

I throw a 175 pro wraith strictly for sidearm drives and a 175 Champ Wraith with a light taped to it for night play, I just bought a 167 Star Wraith for backhand drives, its very overstable and I dont get the needed distance or accuracy. My 167 DX Wraith is the bomb, its the disk I use for the long holes, if I crank it too much it will flip. No matter what you get I think the Wraith is one of the best drivers made.