• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Backpack User Question

OneDumbPunk85

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some advice when it comes to choosing a backpack.

I am coming back to the game after about a 5 year off time, and backpacks have apparently become very popular.

Currently I am throwing about 12 discs and use a Crunch Fade bag, and I really want a backpack that can carry 2 32oz Nalgene water bottles. I know I can go right to the upper range backpacks, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good starter bag that can carry 2 of those bottles. With summer coming up, I would really like that feature.

I was looking at getting an MVP Voyager bag (not the pro or slim) but I keep reading about the feet being issues and there being mixed feelings on that bag.
https://mvpdiscsports.com/products/bags/voyager-backpack-bag/

Overall, I am not looking to just go cheap on the bag, but would rather not spend the near $200 for the really good ones, when this would be my first bag.

I also was looking at something simple like the Latitude 64 Easy-Go Bag
https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Latitude-64-Easy-Go-Backpack-Disc-Golf-Bag-p/4995.htm

So if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears and thank you in advance!

I'm not sure if the original Gorilla Boy Simians are still in stock, but they're $149 while supplies last. If it's still in stock, you might consider that one. I love mine!

It is kind of funky to some, but it is nearly perfect in my view, especially if you carry less than 15 discs.

If you're carrying 12, the Upper Park Shift would be perfect.
A second nalgene can fit in the main...just swap it in the bottle holder when the first is gone.
You won't find a lighter, more comfortable option.

If you're carrying 12, the Upper Park Shift would be perfect.
A second nalgene can fit in the main...just swap it in the bottle holder when the first is gone.
You won't find a lighter, more comfortable option.
The Shift is an awesome bag! It did not have enough storage for my needs, but I loved mine in all other respects.

BTW, I'm past the edit window and unfortunately the old Simian is sold out now, so scratch my advice.

I've been testing a Prodigy BP-3 for a bit now. The BP-3 only has 1 water bottle holder but I am impressed with how low of a price these bags have. If you have been out of the game for awhile then I would recommend testing a lower priced bag first and if it only lasts you a couple seasons then you can go big with a high end bag if needed.
I think a Prodigy BP-2 would be an excellent option. That thing looks great for only $65: https://shop.prodigydisc.com/collec...-2-backpack-2019-model?variant=13690546683949
I have not carried the BP-2 but I have talked with a few people that own the different Prodigy bags and they sound and look really nice for the price.

thank you for the responses everyone. ill check out the bags so far and see what I come up with.

I was just hoping someone would make a side pocket for 2 of the water bottles. During the summer it gets really humid so I would be drinking a lot of water on the course. Storing a bottle in the main is tough to visualize since I will carry more discs in time.

thank you for the responses everyone. ill check out the bags so far and see what I come up with.

I was just hoping someone would make a side pocket for 2 of the water bottles. During the summer it gets really humid so I would be drinking a lot of water on the course. Storing a bottle in the main is tough to visualize since I will carry more discs in time.

The Shift carries everything very differently. It's vertical storage inside and out, and a storage cavern underneath.

Like others are saying, the Upper Park Shift would be a good option. The weight distribution looks like it would really help keep everything tight & centered.

I really like my Grip C-Series bag. I usually keep 14 discs in it. The padding is great & is super durable like all Grip bags.

That Lat64 vertical bag looks really comfortable.

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some advice when it comes to choosing a backpack.

I am coming back to the game after about a 5 year off time, and backpacks have apparently become very popular.

Currently I am throwing about 12 discs and use a Crunch Fade bag, and I really want a backpack that can carry 2 32oz Nalgene water bottles. I know I can go right to the upper range backpacks, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good starter bag that can carry 2 of those bottles. With summer coming up, I would really like that feature.

I was looking at getting an MVP Voyager bag (not the pro or slim) but I keep reading about the feet being issues and there being mixed feelings on that bag.
https://mvpdiscsports.com/products/bags/voyager-backpack-bag/

Overall, I am not looking to just go cheap on the bag, but would rather not spend the near $200 for the really good ones, when this would be my first bag.

I also was looking at something simple like the Latitude 64 Easy-Go Bag
https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Latitude-64-Easy-Go-Backpack-Disc-Golf-Bag-p/4995.htm

So if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears and thank you in advance!

The bag I would recommend not getting the low end brand name bags like the Innova Discover one or the Dynamic disc $38-$40 lowest end backpack or the Prodigy B-P3 V2 as those have a single bottle holder.

The Latitude 64 Easy Go you are thinking about has one big flaw almost no storage and the thing is tall. The Core Bag from Latitude 64 is nice and often you see John E McCray using that bag in some tournaments I have watched on YouTube. The Core Bag from Latitude 64 has 2 bottle holders that can open up more then shown and has a top that can store putter/top used discs as well as other stuff. I have not used it but If I were to use a smaller bag then what I have, the Latitude 64 Core bag is what I would look at.

I just got a MVP voyageur off Amazon for $70. I haven't played a round with it yet, but been wearing it round the house loaded up. I can kind of feel the feet back there, but nothing to cause any kind of discomfort at all. I think it's a steal at that price.

I just got a MVP voyageur off Amazon for $70. I haven't played a round with it yet, but been wearing it round the house loaded up. I can kind of feel the feet back there, but nothing to cause any kind of discomfort at all. I think it's a steal at that price.

Can always add back padding if the feet do cause discomfort.

The Voyager is only $55 on Amazon now, looks like a great bag at that price. Carries more than you need, but that's not always a bad thing, gives room to add more discs eventually or some extra towels

The Shift checks most of your boxes, though it only has one dedicated bottle holder. However, I often carry two bottles of water in my shift, due to the storage 'cavern' as somebody put it. I'm carrying 6 discs in the vertical storage and 4 on each side for a total of 14 discs. I could easily get up to 16 and still be able to carry two bottles if I wanted. Craftsmanship is top notch as is customer service. Worth every penny.

The Grip CS has 2 insulated holders for the larger Nalgene bottles, and holds 14 in the main with room for 3 putters up top.

I only have one round on mine, but really liked the amount of storage it has for it's smaller size.

I've been bagging the regular Voyager this year and love it. Super versatile upper compartment, just the right size for me, and has lots of water bottle carrying options. It's very comfortable -- I've had no problems with the feet digging into my back.

The only thing I don't like is that I can't find a rainfly for it. It seems as though they now only make rainflies for teh Voayger Pro or Slim, but not the original. I guess I should've picked up the rainfly at time of bag purchase. :(

I've been bagging the regular Voyager this year and love it. Super versatile upper compartment, just the right size for me, and has lots of water bottle carrying options. It's very comfortable -- I've had no problems with the feet digging into my back.

The only thing I don't like is that I can't find a rainfly for it. It seems as though they now only make rainflies for teh Voayger Pro or Slim, but not the original. I guess I should've picked up the rainfly at time of bag purchase. :(

On Amazon sometimes they sell the same bag with and without a Rainfly of the original Voyager, But not separate now. It is unfortunate but the price on some at $70-$90 with rainfly is a really good price.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HY27FRS/ref=twister_B0771TXG18?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I have the Voyager bag that I go back and forth with my B series grip bag. I can fit several more discs and much larger items in my Voyager bag top pocket than in the Grip side pockets. I can fit 2 32 oz hydro flask or 32 oz Nalgene's on the side. The was reluctant because I heard a few complaints about the plastic corners digging into people's backs, but it hasn't happened to me, but I'm 5'6". I might check to see if anyone local has one just to see how it fits on you, but at the price point it is way worth it.

Latest posts