• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag....any thoughts

tiger5

I've been playing for a couple years and I think this is the bag I'm gonna roll with this year. Any suggestions, comments or holes you see in the bag let me know. I throw RHBH and I also Flick, but I'm trying to become more of a predominantly backhand thrower, just don't have the arm speed for 12+ at least not to where they are as consistant as my fairway drivers.

1. Stable Control Drivers (275'-375')
175 Champ Teebird (beat in, stays straight and fades at the very end)
175 Champ Eagle X (great disc, I can throw this with a lot of power and it won't turnover, lots of glide)
175 Champ Leopard (new, feels like a longer roc, works well for shot shaping and tight lines)
150 Champ Eagle L (tailwinds, downhill/uphill shots and tight tunnel shots)

2. Distance Drivers (300'-400+)
Forehand:
175 Champ Boss (overstable, good for the wind, it needs room to come back though)
172 Champ Boss (stays straight and goes right at the very end, or I can have it turnover and it comes back straight)
168 Champ Boss (beat in, goes straight without much fade at the end)
175 Star Destroyer (most overstable driver, great in the wind)
175 Champ Destroyer (I can make this go on pretty much any line I want, it's a great shot shaping disc especially in the woods)
168 Star Destroyer (x-out, mainly use it if I have to throw over water, also for tomahawks that I need to flip over quickly and then dive left)
175 Wraith (great disc, stays straight and goes right at the very end, a shorter boss)

Backhand:
171 Champ Valk (longest disc in the bag, first disc I got to go over 400', when it's got room to work it goes a long way)
170 Star SL (I just started throwing this backhand and it goes way farther than I expected and stays straight with really good glide)
171 Star FL (basically a shorter SL, also used this as a roller until I got the roadrunner)

3. Understable Driver (275'-315')
175 Champ Wraith (super beat, I flick it and it doesn't go right anymore)
172 Champ Roadrunner (new, trying to get a driver that will go right when I throw it RHBH)
170 Pro Leopard (beat in, stays straight and gradually goes right)
170 Pro Leopard (new, working on making a back up for the other one)

4. Moderately Overstable Driver (anything under 300)
175 C-line PD (goes hard left, I haven't gotten use to it yet, not a bad disc just different)
168 Champ Firebird (this is my fairway fick disc, basically just a short wraith)
168 Champ Beast (new, still working on it, holds a line petty well but I'd call it more of a fairway driver)

5. Speciality Discs
169 Champ Teebird (I use this for tomahawks and thumbers)
175 Champ Beast (I use it for longer tomahawks and when I need it to cut more left to right)

Mids:
175 Champ Roc (pretty much anything over 275)
180 XG Roc (long approach disc, mainly because it won't skip it just slides)
177 KC Pro Roc (mainly use this in the woods, or when I need it to cut hard around some trees or when I throw over water)

Putters:
Main Putter: 175 Yeti (anything in or around the circle)
Driving Putter: 175 Yeti (anything under 250'-265ish, really surprised how straight this goes and how much glide it has for a putter)
Jumping Putter: 175 R-Pro Aviar (I use this for baskets on the hills or when I can't afford to have a roll away, also if I don't want to over shoot the basket)
Short Approach: 175 Champ Rhyno (drops like a rock and overstable so I know it's gonna come back, really impressed with this disc)

(I recommend learning to drive with a putter because it really helps you get more distance out of your other discs because you don't have to power down and throw a midrange with less power, every shot is essentially the same)

Welcome.

Doesn't the Yeti stick as well as the R-Pro Aviar for you? 3x Yetis are soft and tacky stopping well and i have not tried the 4xs but others have describe them as being more like most discs so they might not have as good brakes when hitting the ground.

Don't the Leos work well for what you use the Eagle l for?

I don't feel comfortable with paring down the bag further without knowing more after i thought of the fact that you get the Valk out so far that much more power hungry and longer discs should work once you get the hang of them and adjust for their requirements. Nose up throwing won't work with those warp speed discs. Wide winged discs need more flexibility and grip strength so your grip could be hampering you. Big time. Finding a reason for issues with big boy discs and curing the issues opens up new distance and control levels and only then can the flight of any disc be truly appreciated. And only after that can one start the pursuit of the perfect or at least comfortable, dependable and all conditions handling bag be started -armed with the proper information.

I use the 3x Yeti's for putting and driving, so far the ones I've got have broken in well. And mine are not soft at all, that's the main reason I like em, because they feel stiff and "heavy". I use the R-Pro Aviar when I'm too far away for the Yeti, and I either need the disc to stop as close to the basket as possible or grab some earth on a hillside. The R-Pro doesn't work all that well in the wind (main reason for the Rhyno) but it does hover very well and I can make it "S" for longer jump putts. Just started throwing the Valk and SL over the last two months. I was using the Eagle L primarily to work on technique. I've added disc the pretty much every disc after working with that and trying to get as many shots out of my putter. I stop reaching for my Roc's as much and work on getting more distance out of the Yeti, which in turn has added distance to my Roc's. My fairway drivers are my go to disc 75% of the time. Smaller rim, easier to control, and very predictable for me in the woods. It's not so much the speed it's the size of the rim that I'm still getting use to with distance drivers. They work well forehand cause I can get the speed and snap.

I was not aware of stiffer 3x Yetis or we may have a semantic difference in what we call soft. Sure R-Pro putters can be super floppy and the 3x is not floppy but still has give under the thumb and is tacky and has good brakes. And R-Pro floppy blends have even better brakes. In putting i've never noticed the 3x to be lacking in stopping ability having a home course that has cliffs close to the baskets on more than one hole. Granted it is a putting style matter and i vary my putts often to limit blow by risk when there is a drop off behind the basket.

You are right in using shorter wings for control shots and that should be a factor in limiting the amount of molds you throw. So it may sound silly to recommend a new mold but Latitude 64 River might eliminate many molds but OTOH so could a different Valk. It sounds like you could cover many fairway and distance drives with Valks of different stabilities. It sounds to me that aside from wind handling the only faster disc you could use is a maximum distance wide open field hot rod like a light Zero G Quasar. Which is the most benign wide winged bomber. Air King has way less power requirement and sadly also way less HSS so control and wind handling. ZG Quasars are pretty much speed 13 Valks. There might be a much more controllable and overall usable alternative too. My go to driver for longer than River (FW) shots: Beast. Beast is a redesigned Valk with more HSS and distance. For me it is really not that much shorter than the hot rod discs but it has a lot lower power requirement very alike to the Valk so it is leagues ahead in controllability. And it is the least fading wind handling straight driver. You could view it as a headwind Valk. So thinking more of it i'd keep the Valk you have and get a Beast Pro 166. It won't turn for me at 400' and will a couple of degrees at 410'-420' (my record line drive and s-curve). The best thing for you is that the wing is in the same class as the Valk albeit a mm wider. It is not hard to grab at all compared to the less controllable faster not always longer discs. I need to go to speed 13 to get longer flights and this is 10. Beast fades less and glides more than the SL which is a close more overstable relative at least in Star.

I guess the Yeti is not as stiff as a KC Pro, but I have had several roll aways after hitting the basket from longer putts or coming in too sharp on a hillside. That's the main reason for the R-Pro Avair, it just grabs earth and takes up real estate . I understand getting one disc to take the place of serveral. A lot of my fairway drivers are really dialed in now and they are very reliable. Plus they all have different characteristics that I don't think I could really get out of just one disc. My teebirds cover long straight, eagles hyzer and leopards shorter hyzer, straight and anny shots. Plus, I've learned lately that in order to do well in tournaments control and accuracy trump distance. Along with having a good approach game, I only have one type of mid for a reason, different molds but same disc.
I'm not saying I can't throw distance drivers, just the consistency isn't there that I would like to have. I'll throw two off-line for every one that does what I want it to do. Right now consistency far out weights distance.
I can backhand my *SL about as far as I can flick a Boss, and I've started working on throwing my Champ Beasts a little more and I'm getting them out there close to but not as far as the Valk, still working on what type of shots I can use them for, I'm just not as comfortable enough with them to have them take the place of some of my other discs. I do have a *Beast that I haven't really used, I might start working on throwing that more, I actually have never thrown that disc backhand, so that will be something to try. After reading your first post I was also thinking about getting a Pro Beast didn't know how similar it was to the Champ or Star? When I first started playing all I had was DX Beast and I loved that thing, so going back to that won't be too hard. Just gonna need to spend some time throwing in a field again.

Since you control the Leo on all lines that should stay. Pro Beasts are the longest Beasts for me and they fly the same as Stars and Champs. It is one of the most consistent discs in different good plastics. Meaning DX gets supaflippy supafast just like DX Valk. Other than that it's good.