• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag company LBBAGS

Does everyone with a pound bag use the water bladder? Or do those zippered side pockets work well as bottle holders?

Does everyone with a pound bag use the water bladder? Or do those zippered side pockets work well as bottle holders?

I use the "insulated" (not sure the insulation does anything besides give it some stability and help grab the bottle) insert for the side pocket that came with my Carlton. Works good lasts long time. Nice thing is it's Velcro adjustable so it can fit anything from a beer bottle up to a nalgene

I use a water bladder every once in a while with the Carlton and always with the Octo. Works well with both of them, but it is slightly more integrated with the Octo.

If I don't need as much water I usually place the hydroflask in the middle compartment of the Carlton. I like having the weight closer to the center of gravity.

I don't care for water bladders, nor do I care for that insert thing. I find the low side pockets ideal for a Nalgene and towels or a couple of cans with coozies.

I have a Rufus, I just use a water bottle in the side pocket (w/ insert). I usually leave the zippers closed as well, I've had a couple instances where my bottle fell out when bending at the waist to get a disc.

FWIW, I don't drink a lot of water when playing DG so a bladder is not something I would ever consider...20oz is usually plenty for a round.

I have a Rufus, I just use a water bottle in the side pocket (w/ insert). I usually leave the zippers closed as well, I've had a couple instances where my bottle fell out when bending at the waist to get a disc.

FWIW, I don't drink a lot of water when playing DG so a bladder is not something I would ever consider...20oz is usually plenty for a round.

I second this. I use one of the insert slots for my rangefinder, sitting on my hockey puck disc retriever. Your mentioning the bottle falling out when you bend at the waist reminds me of my only complaint about the Rufus: my mini marker falls out of it's pocket when bending at the waist to pick up a disc.

I typically don't use one with my Carlton. It's a pretty tight squeeze in the middle compartment even though it's supposedly set up for carrying one. Most of the time I just have a 40oz insulated hydroflask in the haul pocket on the side. If you have the drink holder inserts, they work great as bottle holders.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm a thirsty person, so space for drinks is key for me.

Not sure that I'll end up pulling the trigger on one of these bags, but they sure look nice!

I had my first round with a Rufus tonight. I had carried a MVP Voyager Slim before this, so I was used to the smaller disc capacity.

The Rufus was so much more comfortable than any MVP/Grip bag I'd used in the past. I highly approve.

The Upper Park Shift is close, but the single water bottle way out there and the odd waist pockets eventually wore me out on it.

My OCD is a little sad that my XXL QwikStik sticks out of the zipper pouch on the Rufus, but that's a fairly minor complaint. The umbrella holder straps keep it very stable.

The putter pouch was super smooth. And the water bottle slots carried the water weight in a good spot.

And my goodness there's plenty of padding in the straps. So awesome.

And supporting American manufacturing to top it all off.

$300 very well spent.

Sorry about your OCD. I've even been thinking of changing to a mini retriever. A claw style string retriever firs nicely in the bladder pocket too. I have an old Rebel and briefly tried the Shift, but sent it back due to my concern about those elastic pockets. Thank you for letting me know my concerns were legit.

My sole complaint about the Rufus is the too-large mini marker pocket. I realize a large mini fits fine, but what about my lucky mini mini? Damn you, Pound!

I really love my Rufus. Even prefer it to my cart.

I do have smaller retrievers that fit all the way in the side pocket. But alas, I frequently need every extra foot on my retriever. Not a super big deal about it sticking out. And it does fit if you remove all the tops.

As for the side pockets on the Shift, don't let them scare you away from trying it. I do think it's a very solid design and I wish more bag companies would try variations on the shift. The triangular shape and the stretchy 2-3 disc slots are really nice.

Rufus users, how does it do on broad shouldered folks? I wear 42-44 in jackets, and curious if it might be too narrow of a frame.

Rufus users, how does it do on broad shouldered folks? I wear 42-44 in jackets, and curious if it might be too narrow of a frame.
Fits fine (I wear the same). Also, I think I remember Levi saying Rufus is 2" narrower than their other backpacks. Doesn't seem like a lot. At any rate, it feels fine....

the more I bounce back between using my Legend and Carlton, the more I think that the Rufus is the bag I should be carrying...same form factor as a carlton, but easier and more convenient access to discs, and better storage options like the legend.

I *should* sell my Ridge, Carlton, and Legend and get a Rufus. I'm just generally too lazy to actually list/sell stuff

Edit: After really watching both manufacturer videos on each bag a few times, I decided to get a Lore over the Rufus

Last edited:
As I become more comfortable throwing bh, my B803 is becoming a bit irritating, even with appendix carry. Does anyone have experience using the putter pocket or elastic pouch on their Rufus to hold their piece?

As I become more comfortable throwing bh, my B803 is becoming a bit irritating, even with appendix carry. Does anyone have experience using the putter pocket or elastic pouch on their Rufus to hold their piece?
Are you asking about where you should keep your gun, since it isn't comfortable on your hip while throwing frisbees.

At the same time your tagline says you're "hiding in Kona's closet"?

Leave your gun at home. In a locked safe.

Are you asking about where you should keep your gun, since it isn't comfortable on your hip while throwing frisbees.

At the same time your tagline says you're "hiding in Kona's closet"?

Leave your gun at home. In a locked safe.
You think I should hold out for the Cole Redalen Rufus with the double haul pockets?

Pulled the trigger on a custom Rufus for flying places. Then talked the wife into getting one too. My upper parks bag that I originally bought for winter rounds didn't do too well in Colorado. The mesh side pockets that I use to hold a beverage got shredded. Basically useless for bagging trips now. The Rufus's, Rufusii, whatever, should fill in nicely and be of good quality. Can't wait to get them.

The Octothorpe I got about a year ago is some of the best money I've ever spent. I literally didn't use the cart a SINGLE time this year.

And @Shallows, There's all the space to keep a piece to keep the peace, ya feel me?

Rufus is great. Love mine. Has really gotten me away from using the cart, and has helped limit/focus my disc carry.

More than enough space to stash an extra layer, plenty of room for a reasonable amount of drink/snacks, and the Prodigy-branded retriever pole fits into the holder, while being short enough to be zipped away.

Only complaint: the mini pocket is sized for large minis. Small ones (or your phone) fall out when you bend over.

Keep us posted!