• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] New C-Line MD3 vs New Iron Samurai 3 vs Old MD3

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Hey everyone! Been gone for a little bit. Been rippin it up on my new Enduro MTB and haven't been playing much disc or posting/reading here. I remember last year looking for a good Mid range, and then stopped playing as my MTB'ng took over completely. And I see Discmania FINALLY got some of the discs out they said were going to have available last fall. Specifically the C Line MD3 and Color Glow Iron Samurai 3. And just wondering how these two new discs compare to each other and the old MD3's?

I have two mint original Iron Samurai's that I put away as collectors items and two Original S line MD3's from Huk labs. I always loved those discs, but when I saw how much they were worth on the eBay market, I quickly put them away, as I didn't want to risk loosing them or having some greasy disc thief steal one if I couldn't find it.

Those discs all flew about the same, with the S line maybe being the tiniest bit less stable. They flew like a 5/5/0/2 for me most of the time, but when I was throwing really well and far, they were more like a 5/5/-.25/2. Basically a perfect straight to fade mid range that won't turn over (or much), has really good distance, is mostly neutral in flight, but always has a moderate finish. I found a great direct replacement for that Disc last fall in the Opto Glimmer Lucid X Emac Truth. GREAT disc, that is very stable, feels almost exactly like the old MD3s, has amazing distance, with a great medium fade every time at the end.

But I've always been looking for something with just a little less fade at the end, but still just as stable at high speeds and low/moderate winds. Something workable and mostly straight, with a straight to slight fade finish, but won't turn and burn on hard rips. Kind of like a Mako3, but more stable on hard throws. I love my Star Mako3, but it's so finicky. Sometimes on a good throw, it's straight with a slight baby fade at the end, which is perfect. But other times it'll get going right really fast and never come back. It's so touchy to different angles and power levels. So I want to find something similar to it, just more stable at high speeds and a touch more fade so I always know it will finish left. Something like a 5/5/0/1.

I see the new MD3's and IS 3's are labeled as 5/5/0/1 (while the old ones were 5/5/0/2), yet when I watch videos of people throwing them, they look much more stable than 5/5/0/1. More like a 5/5/0/2 or sometimes even 3 fade. I also heard the new ones are a touch more glide than the old ones? Is that true? And that the mint green IS3 is a touch domier, so it glides more, but is also more overstable than the pink ones. What about the regular C line versions? How do they compare to the IS 3 and then to the old Originals? And are there any colors you need to know about that are different in terms of dome or stability or glide?

So just wondering if the new MD3 C line and Color Glow IS 3 are more or less stable then the old original IS 1 or S lines? And of all 4 discs, which one is the most neutral flight with the least amount of fade at the end? Thanks