• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] "new" Champ Blizzard BOSS?

EROPPER

Birdie Member
I just got a "new to me" fairly beat, Champ Blizzard BOSS, as part of a used pack of discs from Ebay:

Unlike any other disc I've thrown to date. :\

It seems flippy when thrown hard, but still has a strong fade at the end, I can throw around 300 ft consistently with most discs(Mainly a Krait or Tern for that distance)

In windy conditions the other day, the Boss went about 375 ft downhill on a line.

Is this too much speed/disc for me at this point of my developing form? (7 months exp)

or is this light weight disc just a strange and unpredictable thing? opinions?

I threw a 139 blizzard boss and it was very flippy. I assumed I overpowered it. I've got a 159 blizzard boss but I've yet to throw it. What weight is yours?

In general if you don't throw a disc at the speed it needs to fly right the disc will fade out faster. You won't get it to turn over unless you over power it or throw it on a bad angle.

no idea on the weight, the markings on the back have faded,

It does feel light to me, though, I can definitely get it to flip over if I really crank on it,

I may be on to something here, for a max distance/hyzer flip disc, on an open/non technical drive from the Tee

I just got a "new to me" fairly beat, Champ Blizzard BOSS, as part of a used pack of discs from Ebay:

Unlike any other disc I've thrown to date. :\

It seems flippy when thrown hard, but still has a strong fade at the end, I can throw around 300 ft consistently with most discs(Mainly a Krait or Tern for that distance)

In windy conditions the other day, the Boss went about 375 ft downhill on a line.

Is this too much speed/disc for me at this point of my developing form? (7 months exp)

or is this light weight disc just a strange and unpredictable thing? opinions?

A lot of good questions here. First off I'd agree that your blizz boss is fairly beat. With 300' max D power with a Krait or Tern a NEW blizz boss, unless its less than 130g, shouldn't turn for a 300' thrower unless its into a headwind. You also got it right that light wt and I'll add high speed drivers are unpredictable; just a small variance in release angle will make a huge difference in results.

There are a lot of folks around here that would suggest sidelining the really fast drivers like your Tern until you can throw a little further with slower discs like your Undertaker, Craze, and AvengerSS. IMO, as you put it, its too much speed for you at this point of developing form. My experience has shown that its better to get the form right early and understand what technique make a disc fly rather than just being strong enough to get a disc "somewhere" down the fairway. Things happen so fast to get the throw right that most of it comes down to muscle memory. If you train your muscles the wrong way its so much harder to unlearn the bad and relearn the proper way. Said another way, your potential with bad form is much lower than clean form so even though you might have to take a step back now it will be worth it in the long run. Hell, you're still a newbie, you need to be able to make those 15' putts first if you really want to save several strokes a round anyway;)

I'd bet if you took those slower discs out to an open field for practice you'd be throwing them 300' in no time. Once you can make those discs go 300' you'll easily be ready and able to get 350' out of the Tern and maybe use the blizz boss for wide open tailwinds or learn a roller.

The problem with new players and high speed drivers like the Boss is that they mask form issues, mainly off axis torque (OAT). The more you foster those bad habits, the harder you'll have to work to break them if you ever getting serious about your form. 375' downhill sounds like 300' on flat ground to me so you're not getting any real extra distance. If you're looking to have fun there's nothing wrong with throwing that Boss. If you want to throw super far and are willing to put in the time, you probably want to shelve it until you add another 100' of flat ground distance at least.

30127858.jpg

The problem with new players and high speed drivers like the Boss is that they mask form issues, mainly off axis torque (OAT). The more you foster those bad habits, the harder you'll have to work to break them if you ever getting serious about your form. 375' downhill sounds like 300' on flat ground to me so you're not getting any real extra distance. If you're looking to have fun there's nothing wrong with throwing that Boss. If you want to throw super far and are willing to put in the time, you probably want to shelve it until you add another 100' of flat ground distance at least.

So so true. Thats where i am. I finally disced down and figured out whats really goin on here. Havent touched my blizz champs since. Or hogh speed drivers for that matter. I carry a couple for when i really have to use them. But i maintain the awareness that im not actually getting those discs up to speed properly. I get better distance out of an US speed 9 than i do out of a speed 12 distance driver.

Last edited:
It's just not the best disc for you to get better with. I have a friend who bagged one of these for ages and never broke 330 with it. And the poor form he developed from it made throwing less stable discs that he should be able to do well with be rollers.

I got him a TP stag for his birthday last year, which is stable but with some turn and not much fade. He throws it just as far as the Boss with with better control and form. It's 5 speeds slower, but speed doesnt always equal disctance if you don't have arm yet.

Basically I said all that to say this. Your new, trying new discs is fun. Have fun doing that! But if your really trying to improve get a stable fairway driver as your main driver and throw it until your form is good. Then move up.

Teebird, Eagle-L, Stag, Thief, Crave and View are all super nice in this slot. And spring for a decent plastic so they wear in slowly enough for you to learn the flight.

Blizzard Bosses are all over the place in terms of stability. Most of the ones I've thrown will flip and burn even if thrown with lots of hyzer.

I have tossed a couple that are actually stable enough to be thrown flat and hard. They'll bend to the right somewhat, but also fade back at the end of flight.

The more stable blizz Bosses are super long and glidey.

All in all not a super useful disc for me, especially if its windy. Really light discs are far more prone to flipping or getting blown off course.

On the other hand I can see how the blizz Boss is distance champ. You crank one right without it flipping and it's spectacularly long.

FYI- for his b-day my sister bought my son 3 Blizzard Champion Bosses with the 1108 stamp, all upper 130s. They are all flat and flippy. Blue, orange, and red. Not good bosses in my opinion.

Lots of good stuff in this already. I agree that high speed discs mask form errors. Another (and even bigger) problem is that they ENCOURAGE some of those form errors. This is why so many folks on here discourage beginners from going above speed 10. After all, 10-speed discs are already pretty stinkin fast, and you'll get pretty good distance.

FYI- for his b-day my sister bought my son 3 Blizzard Champion Bosses with the 1108 stamp, all upper 130s. They are all flat and flippy. Blue, orange, and red. Not good bosses in my opinion.

Flat Bosses are lousy IMO. They don't glide and fade out too sharply at the end of flight. When I'm looking at Bosses I want them with a noticeable dome.

The one blizz Boss I threw and actually liked had a good dome. It wasn't ridiculously flippy and glided well. Really easy 430' throws.

I don't think fast blizzard discs are good learning tools either. When I was a new player I threw heavy stuff primarily. You need a disc that will do the same thing every time you throw it. Blizzard discs are notoriously finicky.

fyi. ten speed discs didn't exist pre 00. and we did just fine without them. the best pros could still make 500 foot drives they just relied on more glide from the disc.

fyi. ten speed discs didn't exist pre 00. and we did just fine without them. the best pros could still make 500 foot drives they just relied on more glide from the disc.

This is true, Doctor. XL, XS, Valkyrie...all world distance record holders at one time.