• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Completely unnecessary: Blizzard Vulcan

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
So, I didn't even know blizzard Vulcans existed. I recently ran across a F2 147g blizzard Vulcan on the course. The disc is in good condition.

Out of sheer curiosity I had to take this disc to the field and see how it flies. Shocker, its really flippy. I had to put a lot of hyzer on this Vulcan to keep it from flipping completely.

Now for the good part. The thing is MASSIVELY long. This blizzard Vulcan could be the easiest 450' I've ever seen. I don't know if I've ever seen a disc stay in the air as long as this one. It glides beautifully and has perhaps the slowest, longest S curve flight I've ever seen. Even compared to blizzard Katanas and Bosses this disc is very long. This disc pans out REAAALLYY far before very gently fading.

I'd probably never use this Vulcan on the course. Its too light and much too erratic. Obviously you can't throw it in any sort of headwind conditions. This could be one of the top 3 longest discs I've ever thrown. With a little practice I feel like I could touch 500' with it. This is cheater distance. Other than gauging the right amount of hyzer to release on, I don't feel like it takes skill to bomb this driver. Weak arms would love this disc. It could legitimately turn 300' into 350' instantly.

Really fun field disc, but fairly impractical golf disc.

For someone of your armspeed, a Blizz Vulcan would indeed be very flippy. For beginner and older casual ams like me, it might be a great disc. I'd be curious to throw a Blizz Vulcan around during fieldwork but I won't go out of my way to try it...

For someone of your armspeed, a Blizz Vulcan would indeed be very flippy. For beginner and older casual ams like me, it might be a great disc. I'd be curious to throw a Blizz Vulcan around during fieldwork but I won't go out of my way to try it...

Yeah, this thing wasn't a "must throw" for me. However, I was somewhat impressed with it. I expected the flippiness. I didn't expect the massive yardage. It has the same general flight as a Renegade, but about 100' longer.:p

Not a practical disc... at all. This disc will leave the zip code, but you don't really know where its going.

One thing I noticed, I could throw this Vulcan really high and it would do the normal hyzerflip S curve without stalling. Again, I need to play around with it more. Lots of side to side movement as well as forward momentum. These are NOT golf lines.

They are good for forehand distance, too. Just can't reliably predict where they will go or land.

I lucked out when I got my blizzard Vulcan. It's a heavier blizzard, 158g which really helps it be less erratic, there is still a lot of side to side movement, so it's hard to find times when I can use it

I have had the same experience with a blizzard teedevil. Longest disc I own by a good 30 ft. I also have the same issues as you described with the vulcan. Great disc if there is a good tailwind but still pretty sketchy as to where it will land.

I have had the same experience with a blizzard teedevil. Longest disc I own by a good 30 ft. I also have the same issues as you described with the vulcan. Great disc if there is a good tailwind but still pretty sketchy as to where it will land.

I once found a blizz Teedevil at the course that was so light it floated in water. It had to be in the 130s. That was the only blizzard disc I've seen that floated.

All the best blizzard discs I've thrown have been in the mid to high 150s.

Not a practical disc... at all. This disc will leave the zip code, but you don't really know where its going.

One thing I noticed, I could throw this Vulcan really high and it would do the normal hyzerflip S curve without stalling. Again, I need to play around with it more. Lots of side to side movement as well as forward momentum. These are NOT golf lines.

I picked up a 123g Helix years ago that was much the same. Lots of distance. Needed a wiiiiiide open fairway, though, because it moved so far side to side. With any wind, I could only guess the zip code of its landing. Fun to throw, difficult to play.

Since I can overpower a 150 gram Dragon and have to power down to get the disc to work really well for me I would not bag the disc. Vulcan also has the odd rim/wing I am not a fan of with the disc.

Latest posts