• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 ITB - retired from tournaments edition?

VictorB

* Ace Member *
Not retired from the sport at all though! Just not really feeling getting in a queue to sign up for local tournaments, I'm not really that hard up that I need to get in the first 10 minutes that registration is open...

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 16 years, with a few in between that I played minimally
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH (probably 70/30)
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:
Steady: (220'/270'), Aftershock (240'/300'), Undertaker (325'/375'), Hurricane (340'/415')

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: completely shot left knee (no ACL for ~20 years)
Other sport proficiencies?: I think I can list ice hockey here now
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Love that the bag is a setup I can use on any course comfortably
Specific areas of desired feedback: none really, for information only
Immediate and long-term goals: Continue to throw and enjoy playing, and get my son more into the sport this spring/summer

That aside - my lineup is not evolving very much, over the last couple of years. I tried a couple of newer things last year but back to even a more heavy lineup of old dependable molds. My bag is pretty balanced and I can use all of the molds both forehand and backhand (least comfortable with FH undertakers, but I will work that out this spring in the field)

Distance
172 Z Force, newish - this one isn't always in the bag. It's the 'step up' driver for really windy days, when I wouldn't be throwing flippy versions of hurricanes.
174 PL FLX Shasta Hurricane, slight wear - has some dome and still pretty overstable, this is my main long hyzer disc most days, and my power forehand disc out to 350'ish
171 SP Hurricane, worn - workhorse distance driver. longest disc in my bag, and one of the most dependable distance drivers I've ever used.
167 PL FLX Shasta Hurricane, worn - a bit flat for a hurricane and nicely flippy, doesn't have a ton of fade so really good for turnovers, hyzer flips, and tailwind shots

Fairway
174 Z Predator, slight wear - it's the beefcake. does all the things a utility overstable disc should be able to.
174 Z Undertaker, new - slightly overstable. goes straight to fade with little turn and good enough fade. working on using undertakers for more forehand shots this season.
172 ESP Undertaker, worn - it's the workhorse. can hyzer flip, but won't flip over unless headwind. can hold an anhyzer if forced.
168 Z Undertaker, worn - such a great finesse/woods driver. lazer beam hyzer flips and sweet panning anhyzers.
174 SP Proto Vortex, new - also a great finesse driver, all about hyzer flips and turnovers. haven't tried rolling it yet, but I'd imagine it's a really good roller disc also.

Midrange
177 FF PL Quake, some wear - very flat, very overstable. not a turd like a drone though, and more comfortable FH disc too
177 PL Aftershock, newish - a good stable midrange, when I want straight to fade shots.
177 Shastashock, worn - these wear into wonderfully straight midranges that can handle some power. hope it stays that way for a while!
177 Swirl ESP MJ Comet (2020 edition), newish - pretty stable comet. woods disc? yes please
177 Glow ESP MJ Comet (2018 edition), worn - almost a perfectly seasoned disc - flips to flat without being understable. holds a turn when I need it without dipping too hard to the right.

Putt and approach
174 SP Breaker, worn - this has been a staple approach disc in my bag for a while now. very dependable but more workable than a zone. almost exclusively a forehand disc (since that's my preferred approach method)
174 JB Granite Steady, slightly worn - straight to slightly understable throwing putter
2x 174 D Line Steady, new - I was using Bell rubber blends, but the new D Line (discraft putter line plastic) feels good and they seem to have a bit more glide to them. So I'm going to work on breaking a set in

What made you switch from OLFs back to Undertakers? I made the Undertaker to OLF switch earlier this year and really like the way they forehand, but Undertakers have always been really consistent for me otherwise.

What made you switch from OLFs back to Undertakers? I made the Undertaker to OLF switch earlier this year and really like the way they forehand, but Undertakers have always been really consistent for me otherwise.

Familiarity with the Undertakers. They were my primary control driver for several years.

I do like how the OLF forehands, but I think I have cleaned up my technique enough where I can try to use the undertakers on FH shots again (was forehanding a lot of Sidewinders last year off the tee) The OLF is close enough to a beat predator where I can just plug in a used pred and keep the bag more simple

Last season I used a P Model S for the most part as a putter. The plastic was absolutely garbage though, I hated the feel in all but the most pristine conditions. I went back to a steady, and learned pretty quickly that I missed the low profile feel and straight flight of the P Model S - but I was not going to switch back to that plastic. So, I've put retro pures in the bag - that plastic is fantastic across many conditions and the feel of the disc is pretty similar overall. A KT Gold-X Pure as my driving putter as well.

I'm also trying a 'lowest common denominator' outlook for my FH approach disc - I've scrapped the breaker and quake in favor of harps for now (1 slightly worn bt hard, 1 bt med) Having a decision between the quake and breaker makes some shots that should be easy, slightly more complicated due to the requirement of choosing the right disc.

Really trying to move to the 'most simple' state for my game with regard to the loadout I carry.

Familiarity with the Undertakers. They were my primary control driver for several years.

I do like how the OLF forehands, but I think I have cleaned up my technique enough where I can try to use the undertakers on FH shots again (was forehanding a lot of Sidewinders last year off the tee) The OLF is close enough to a beat predator where I can just plug in a used pred and keep the bag more simple

That makes sense. I struggled with overturning them on flex forehand shots but I really like Undertakers too.

I like the minimalism approach. I've been trying to do the same with putters/approach discs over carrying very role specific discs and while it's a work in progress, I like reducing the decisions I have to make. Hopefully they work out for you!

Local courses are open, so time for a 'season start' update! I've been carrying the Ridge a lot more lately, so a bit more space for utility.

Distance
174 FR PL Hypercane, new - I was skeptical at first, but I'm pretty sold on this for both FH and BH shots. I can hammer shots in a headwind with no worry, and really get some ground action when the wind is down.
174 PL FLX Shasta Hurricane, slight wear - still the main slight overstable disc. in no wind, will fight out of an slight anhyzer
171 SP Hurricane, worn - workhorse distance driver. longest disc in my bag, and one of the most dependable distance drivers I've ever used.
167 PL FLX Shasta Hurricane, worn - a bit flat for a hurricane and nicely flippy, doesn't have a ton of fade so really good for turnovers, hyzer flips, and tailwind shots

Since Surges seem to at least be somewhat available (ledgestone and tour series) I'm also going to audition those in the distance slot, likely with a Rogue as a flippy compliment

Fairway
175 Big Z Predator, new - brand new pred to cycle in
174 Z Predator, worn - has lost it's predictable flight in windy conditions, but still pretty beefy for most conditions
174 Z Predator, beat - flies more like an overstable Orion now, great control disc
175 Z Undertaker, new - nice dependable, stable 'taker
168 Z Undertaker, beat - lost the lss before hss - great shot for working finesse lines
174 Lucid Maverick, slight wear - used a lot in the woods, workable hyzer flip/turnover disc

Midrange
175 FF PL Quake, slight wear - very beefy mid, but not dumpy fade. main FH midrange
177 Shastashock, newish - a good stable midrange, when I want straight to fade shots.
177 Shastashock, worn - these wear into wonderfully straight midranges that can handle some power. hope it stays that way for a while!
177 Swirl ESP MJ Comet (2020 edition), newish - pretty stable comet. woods disc? yes please
177 Glow ESP MJ Comet (2018 edition), worn - almost a perfectly seasoned disc - flips to flat without being understable. holds a turn when I need it without dipping too hard to the right.

Putt/approach
175 Hard Burst Harp, slight wear - pretty beefy harp, overstable driving putter
175 BT Medium Harp, newish - straighter than the hard version, slight tack to minimize ground play on approaches
174 Gold-X Pure, new - great driving putter, very straight
174 Retro Pure, newish (x2) - all putting duties

Tried harps for about a month, and took them out. They are just too overstable for my liking, and have put Breakers back in the bag for overstable approach duties.

I also tried out the Rift - this could be a revelation. It seems to slot right between an aftershock and squall