• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY $25 Backpack Bag.

I am about 5' 10 5' 11 and this sits on my back perfectly. I am going to coat the bottom with some of the plastic dip once the temperature gets above freezing! Have not played a round yet, just walking through the house. It seems as though it is going to be a great bag. The inside holds 17 discs and the 'putter pocket' holds 2 more. All and all, I am very pleased with the final product and can't wait to try it out.

Here are two more pics of the frame. (Sorry if they are at the wrong angle, they are at the right angle on photobucket)

Bagframe_2_zpsd6f5fd64.jpg

Bagframe_1_zps024739de.jpg

Used this bag for a while just upgraded to the grip if anyone want a bag with the frame in it plasti dipped bottom pm me 25$ shipped (I know there is a marketplace forum suck it)

I haven't seen this bag irl yet
If a person used an elevated frame (like in post #141) could a hole be cut between the putter pocket and the main pocket that would allow access to the area below the elevated portion of the frame? Maybe add a zipper between the two portions.

I haven't seen this bag irl yet
If a person used an elevated frame (like in post #141) could a hole be cut between the putter pocket and the main pocket that would allow access to the area below the elevated portion of the frame? Maybe add a zipper between the two portions.

Very possible, although I'm not sure how this would affect durability of the bag.
Another note; if you cut that area out, you lose the pen holder/mini holder pockets.

To all the users of this bag, what comments have you received from others with this bag?

I play with a bunch of Grip/Ranger snobs who think DIY bags are the cheap way to go (which obviously they are), but my previous DIY bags have been terrible attempts at converting hiking bags to disc golf bags. I just can't see paying $225 for a backpack just like I can't see paying that much money for a pair of shoes or a softball bat for my men's and co-ed leagues (I use a $35 Easton bat and it has served me well over the years).

I know it really doesn't matter what others think, only if the disc golf bag is working for you. Still, has anyone received "Woah!" type comments from other players, especially those with the $175 to $225 bags?

I will be ordering the Elite and will be using the same type of frame that Abram and LetsPlayGolf used (probably the variation of the latter as I am also 5'11"). I appreciate all the comments, the pics, and the sharing of dimensions used with the frames.

Also thought of a solution/prevention for the strap problem mentioned (separating at the top of the bag and possibly from the bottom)...

A tailor (or a place that makes clothing alterations) would be a cheap place to get the straps repaired or re-enforced? I think such a fix shouldn't run more than $10 and if that's the only problem the bag is having after months of use, it would be worth looking into.

Having spray painted the PVC and bottom cutting board in mine, along with the towel and birdie beads hanging from it... I've been asked a few time what manufacturer it is. Most cannot tell the difference unless they get real close.

Keep in mind though, that I rarely run into snobs using grips. Most of the time the people i run into don't have "backpacks".

@ Scootman Not too many Grip snobs here either. I have received a few 'whoa's and 'sweet's. One guy even suggested I make a couple of them and sell them in the clubhouse at Disc Side of Heaven. I have not totally disregarded that yet!

@ Weaktit I don't think I would recommend cutting a hole through the putter pocket. Like Trizzor said, probably do more harm than good. If I need something off the bottom, I just move 4-5 discs out of the way with one hand and grab it with the other. Takes 3 seconds.

Did anyone who put a cutting board in the bottom screw any rubber feet into it? Or was a plasti dipped bottom good enough? I'm making one of these this weekend and my biggest concern besides the shoulder straps was the bottom.

When I had mine, I just plastidipped the bottom. At first, I thought your idea sounded pretty good - the cutting board should provide reasonable bite for the feet to screw into.

But upon further thought, I can't help but wonder how piercing the material will will affect the durability or the ability to keep water outside the outer shell. Over time, I think the screw will start to cut some of the fibers around it after repeatedly picking the bag up and putting it down over the course of several rounds, expanding the hole where it pierced the material... just my thoughts.

Those of you still using these, how have the shoulder straps held up? Mine went south after relatively few rounds, and I had to exchange it, but Target didn't give me any problem on the exchange.

@MrChops I would not use the cutting board and rubber feet just yet. Go out and try a few rounds without them first. You might find out you don't need it. I did not do that on mine and I am glad I did not do it.

@Bogey- No problem with my straps, of course it has been so dang cold this winter I do not have a lot of rounds logged with it yet.

my ergo though i love it, has been a real pain lately not holding water bottles at all so I'm glad to find this post way after it was created, just snagged one of these.

How are these holding up? I just picked up the elite version today and going to grab the PVC tomorrow. How are these holding up for the rest of you? Any other mods you guys did?

How are these holding up? I just picked up the elite version today and going to grab the PVC tomorrow. How are these holding up for the rest of you? Any other mods you guys did?

As a matter of fact, I just modded mine again two days ago.

Originally I used a $2 cutting board as support in the laptop pocket, but it was too heavy and too stiff.

So I went back to Dollar Tree and found these gems; $1 mini (age 2-5) pool floating boards. As you can see, it fits perfect in the laptop spot and adds 1.5" of soft, lightweight cushioning... it also helps the bag stand upright. Best of all, it required zero cutting!

DiXWvPU.jpg

PFAvq1u.jpg

-Triz

As a matter of fact, I just modded mine again two days ago.

Originally I used a $2 cutting board as support in the laptop pocket, but it was too heavy and too stiff.

So I went back to Dollar Tree and found these gems; $1 mini (age 2-5) pool floating boards. As you can see, it fits perfect in the laptop spot and adds 1.5" of soft, lightweight cushioning... it also helps the bag stand upright. Best of all, it required zero cutting!

DiXWvPU.jpg

PFAvq1u.jpg

-Triz

That's funny - I will be doing the same thing with mine. I have a lot of 1/4" foam sheets from other hobbies and I planned on doing the same to disperse the weight of the discs.

I have had mine for 4 months or so and the plasti-dip with the pvc frame had been fine

How far "up" the side did you plasti dip? Only to the seam where it transitions to the top piece or up a bit past the seam?