• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New member here - where to start working on bh form?

horststorch

Hello, just found this awesome forum! I'm rather new to disc golf but I enjoy playing with my son (10yo). As I'm past 40 and don't have the strongest back from sitting way too much in my job, I'm trying to get some insight into good backhand form. I found the Fundamentals of Form book, which looks like an incredible resource, must've been a lot of work! As a beginner with form, where would you start? Would working on posture be a good starting point? Any insights really appreciated!

Hello, just found this awesome forum! I'm rather new to disc golf but I enjoy playing with my son (10yo). As I'm past 40 and don't have the strongest back from sitting way too much in my job, I'm trying to get some insight into good backhand form. I found the Fundamentals of Form book, which looks like an incredible resource, must've been a lot of work! As a beginner with form, where would you start? Would working on posture be a good starting point? Any insights really appreciated!
Hey welcome! I'd go through the form thread and start from the ground up. Kinda. I'd work on something like the "dingle arm" to get a good feel for it then some legwork like the stair drill but I'm no pro.

Hey welcome! I'd go through the form thread and start from the ground up. Kinda. I'd work on something like the "dingle arm" to get a good feel for it then some legwork like the stair drill but I'm no pro.
Thank you, I'll check out the dingle arm!

Keep things very simple by giving yourself just a few drills (e.g., dingle arm) to work on. Every month or so, post video of your swing in the form review thread. Just as you limit the number of drills you perform, so should you limit the number of sources you receive feedback from. Pick one or two people here and one or two youtube channels and limit all other disc golf content consumption. Make identifiable progress before switching drills and instruction sources. I highly recommend throwing into a net when you are drilling form; this will prevent you from becoming distracted by the flight of the disc, and you won't have to walk as far to pick up your discs.

Keep things very simple by giving yourself just a few drills (e.g., dingle arm) to work on. Every month or so, post video of your swing in the form review thread. Just as you limit the number of drills you perform, so should you limit the number of sources you receive feedback from. Pick one or two people here and one or two youtube channels and limit all other disc golf content consumption. Make identifiable progress before switching drills and instruction sources. I highly recommend throwing into a net when you are drilling form; this will prevent you from becoming distracted by the flight of the disc, and you won't have to walk as far to pick up your discs.
definitely working on the dingle arm. It seems to really help me with the weight shift!

Start with grip, and understanding the notion of "grip it and rip it." You aren't "letting the disc go" as much as you're forcing the disc to "rip itself out." If you can't establish a firm grip that is consistently tight, absolutely nothing else anything anyone else tells you to do will result in any consistent throw that you can base your improvements off of.

Seek out grip tutorials and remember that the purpose of field work is to go outside of your comfort zone. Be happy when you grip a disc too tight in the field and yank the disc with a late release, and then remember how the release felt on that tight grip, and work on honing in an accurate release that generates that feeling in your hand. And if you are legit trying to practice gripping tightly as a new player, you WILL griplock, so don't get discouraged and start gripping softly.

My rule of thumb is that I tell players to over grip - grip the SHIT out of the disc, and then loosen up to merely really really firm/tight. Most new players don't go tight enough, and that seems to generally help them establish it.

As for your back issues - take the time to get loose. If you don't already do any yoga, I recommend it. Work on establishing a regular stretching routine to help you increase your rotational flexibility. And then when its time to play a round, spend a bit of time active-stretching, moving and working on slowly getting to your 'warmed up' level of rotational flexibility. As long as you're warmed up, given the legs should be doing most of the work, your back should be okay. Remember that the back is just in the middle of the process, its just a connecting piece in the middle of that whip (where your hand and the disc are the tip of the whip).

Start with grip, and understanding the notion of "grip it and rip it." You aren't "letting the disc go" as much as you're forcing the disc to "rip itself out." If you can't establish a firm grip that is consistently tight, absolutely nothing else anything anyone else tells you to do will result in any consistent throw that you can base your improvements off of.

Seek out grip tutorials and remember that the purpose of field work is to go outside of your comfort zone. Be happy when you grip a disc too tight in the field and yank the disc with a late release, and then remember how the release felt on that tight grip, and work on honing in an accurate release that generates that feeling in your hand. And if you are legit trying to practice gripping tightly as a new player, you WILL griplock, so don't get discouraged and start gripping softly.

My rule of thumb is that I tell players to over grip - grip the SHIT out of the disc, and then loosen up to merely really really firm/tight. Most new players don't go tight enough, and that seems to generally help them establish it.

As for your back issues - take the time to get loose. If you don't already do any yoga, I recommend it. Work on establishing a regular stretching routine to help you increase your rotational flexibility. And then when its time to play a round, spend a bit of time active-stretching, moving and working on slowly getting to your 'warmed up' level of rotational flexibility. As long as you're warmed up, given the legs should be doing most of the work, your back should be okay. Remember that the back is just in the middle of the process, its just a connecting piece in the middle of that whip (where your hand and the disc are the tip of the whip).
Yeah I think I really need to dial in on gripping the right amount! Also getting the back muscles loosened before throwing is something I haven't considered doing yet! Thank you for your insights!