• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Rit Formula = No Dying Discs

So what is the consensus on powder Rit now? I've read this whole thread and it seems like it went back and forth on whether or not it still works.

It works as long as you get the old formula. The only way to know for sure if a newer box of rit will work is to look at the packaging inside the box. If you are lucky you will be able to see the printing on the package. If it has a ND on the package, ND=no dye. Pretty much anything I have seen withe the lot code on the box ending in 10 or earlier still works. Also not all the powdered dyes have been changed over to the new formula.

color update

Just tried purple #03611 and it worked. Wasn't as dark as I was expecting it to be but that could be the plastic or not leaving it on long enough. Although it was a star roadrunner and left it in for 10 minutes. Who knows. I am about to try a navy blue ending in 11. Hopefully its not the same as royal blue. Has anyone used the Jacquard ipoly yet? Hobby lobby and Joanna's supposedly carry it but I haven't found any.

Has anyone determined whether the RIT Professional line formula has been changed over yet? Looking to buy some bulk pro-line RIT (since it comes in pound containers), but I don't want to invest if it's not going to dye discs....

Has anyone determined whether the RIT Professional line formula has been changed over yet? Looking to buy some bulk pro-line RIT (since it comes in pound containers), but I don't want to invest if it's not going to dye discs....

Just depends on the color. Most are still ok.

got a question about pots. my first dye job i used an old steel pot, not stainless but just regular steel pot. i assume it's porous cause there was some purple stains on it. i boiled some water in the pot to get most of the stains out but it's hard to say if there was any left over. i was about to dye something navy blue but now i'm hesitant to do so if the purple is going to seep in. i know that if you dye something that is darker than the previous color it won't affect it (i.e red won't affect black, etc) and navy blue is darker than the purple they provide. at least going by the colors on the box show navy to be darker. guess my question is has anyone used a pot similar to this and should i be concerned that the purple would seep in? i mean even if using navy now will be ok i want to know if the pot is ok in the future if and when i decide to use lighter colors.

I wouldn't think there is enough dye in the pot to really change the color of a new dye. This being said I do use stainless steel, and I have 2 pans. 1 for light colors and one for dark colors. Bought them cheap at a goodwill store.

It should be fine, and you can probably remove that residue with some elbow grease - mild scotchbrite pad with some baking soda. I use aluminum and it does the same thing but always comes clean. The residue is so minimal and if there's some left after hot water and cleaning, it's unlikely to come off in the next dye. The only time I'm anal about getting it super clean is if I'm going to be using a really light yellow or something.

I use a magic eraser after dark colors to make sure they don't bleed into my lighter colors, but other than that if your dyeing all dark colors no need to worry.

Thanks for the help guys. I kinda figured the dark to dark would be okay although going from black to say a semi-dark navy I didn't know if I should worry. Guess not. I boiled water in the pot two different times and it got a lot of the stain off. Then washed with hot soapy water. I'll try the magic eraser thing. Or I could quit being cheap and hit the goodwill for a couple of used stainless steel ones lol. Got a question about the actual dyeing. I used a packet of navy blue powder batch ending in 11. The disc took the dye so the batch was ok but it was uneven in spots. What could have caused this? I watched some youtube videos and found 10 minutes to be an average time to leave it in. Did my first dye for 10 minutes and wasn't as dark as I was expecting. This one I did 15 and for the most part it came out pretty dark. Its just lighter in some areas. I would take a picture but I'm not sure it would portray how it really looks. I put the powder in and filled the pot about half way up with water. Made sure it wasn't too hot or anything. Any thoughts?

Don't know how big your pot is, but I use a stock pot with 32ozs of water mixed with my dye pack. Sounds like you just used too much water if you filled it up halfway.

man you got some really cool designs. did you cut all those out yourself? some of that stuff is intricate. i've never been very good at drawing so it took me a couple of times just to do a simple yankees logo. i guess when i watched the youtube videos it looked like their pots were filled up farther than they actually were. i'll use the one packet of powder for 32oz of water next time. thanks. any other tips or tricks feel free to pass them along.

I had never checked out dyes before, but when I went to JoAnn's today to buy some I noticed every single box/bottle had the dreaded 'ND' on it. I know this thread is old and most people have moved on, but there is still so much talk about RIT that others might find these pics helpful. Here's what the ND looks like:

Sorry but I've gotta dig this thread up for confirmation. I've seen people say Rit is still useless, I've seen people mention a new formula or Rit Dye More. Can I/we get some info on this? I heard the black Rit Dyemore works. Does it? Do any other colors? Its cheap enough that I could just buy a bottle or two and try it but why waste time, money and potentially a disc.

Sorry but I've gotta dig this thread up for confirmation. I've seen people say Rit is still useless, I've seen people mention a new formula or Rit Dye More. Can I/we get some info on this? I heard the black Rit Dyemore works. Does it? Do any other colors? Its cheap enough that I could just buy a bottle or two and try it but why waste time, money and potentially a disc.

Everything I have heard on this forum (and this has been asked many a time) is that all the Rit Dye More colors work just fine.

But I have not personally used them.

Everything I have heard on this forum (and this has been asked many a time) is that all the Rit Dye More colors work just fine.

But I have not personally used them.

thanks. I knows its been discussed but searching for "Rit" returns far too many threads to sift through lol