• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Shoe Suggestions

Whatever you get if you decide you like it make sure to get a second pair and rotate them. Even cheap shoes can last a long time if they are not tasked with all of your work.

Whatever you get if you decide you like it make sure to get a second pair and rotate them. Even cheap shoes can last a long time if they are not tasked with all of your work.
this. I always have a few I'm rotating. today I trashed one pair in mud and hosed them down at home. another pair are clean and dry waiting in the meantime....

The bad part of this is you have to watch your warranties. I hosed myself with this and 2x pairs of keens. Nice 12 mo warranty and I rotated 2 pairs I picked up together.......which both fell apart after 15 months. Had I stuck to mostly 1 pair I would've had that nice replacement pair.

Adidas customer service was worthless... I wasn't too shocked on that one though.

I ended up giving them another chance. I bought the new Goretex Swift model for 2018. It had a 35% sale going on (I'm a sucker I suppose)

To everyone talking about how they don't want waterproof shoes. I get it. Everyone's needs are different. I play Moraine, Deer Lakes, Knob Hill, etc. during all seasons. It rains and snows A LOT in Pittsburgh. Those courses aren't exactly strolls in the park. I even mentioned that I have a pair of non waterproof Swifts that I love.

We'll see how the new ones hold up. Soon I won't be wearing them as much. I'm definitely liking the feel of them so far though :thmbup:

My wife argues this but I've never understood it. Would you get more life out of rotating two pairs of shoes, or just buy another pair after the first wears out. To me it seems that you'd get about the same amount of usage. :confused:

My wife argues this but I've never understood it. Would you get more life out of rotating two pairs of shoes, or just buy another pair after the first wears out. To me it seems that you'd get about the same amount of usage. :confused:

Back in the day (when shoes were leather), it WAS beneficial to 'rotate' pairs. Doing so would allow the not-being-used pair to dry out / 'breathe' and thus retain its integral structure, etc. for a longer time. Does this same concept hold true for 'synthetic' material shoes? Not sure...but I doubt it would hurt.

Back in the day (when shoes were leather), it WAS beneficial to 'rotate' pairs. Doing so would allow the not-being-used pair to dry out / 'breathe' and thus retain its integral structure, etc. for a longer time. Does this same concept hold true for 'synthetic' material shoes? Not sure...but I doubt it would hurt.

I wear out the soles long before I wear out the upper. The only benifit I have with multiple pairs of shoes is to let one dry out after a rain/snow round.

Have been a Moab Ventilator wearer for several years. Good dg player review on the Moab FST Hiker at Sierra Trading Post for $49.99 clearance. Giving them a try.

Best trail shoes I have found are Oboz.
Having said that, I quit wearing trail shoes to play dg in. I am now playing in casual flats. Flat bottoms give much better weight transfer.

I cannot find any trail runners, that are flat, in any store. I did find an Aussie company that makes them....but I really dont want to pay international shipping on a pair of shoes that may not fit.

Scarpa Crux. They are an approach shoe with a pretty flat bottom. I love mine and they have lasted a long time

I'm going to take everyone's advice here for the next time my shoes burn out and go with non GTX shoes for the summer and use thin wool performance socks. I like the idea of less expensive, lighter shoes that dry out quicker and the GTX lining doesn't really hold up that long anyways. I've got a couple pair of the GTX Terrex which are still pretty new but once those go I'm switching over. Thanks.

Having a 2nd pair of shoes and socks is absolute money if you play more than one round, especially on a long day/tournament/next day and your current pair got soaked.

I think we can all agree that those adidas are crap, right?

Which ones? I have the Goretex and non Goretex Terrex Swifts low tops and love them. Comfortable and durable so far. The sole has amazing grip

I wore the GTX to uselessness in 6 months in the Salomon walking shoes i got, i returned them and upgraded to a running shoe, XA lite GTX. I really like the more agile shoe (had to go up slightly in size to fit a wool sock in) but i have a feeling they wont last longer and cost a bit too much in that case.

Having a 2nd pair of shoes and socks is absolute money if you play more than one round, especially on a long day/tournament/next day and your current pair got soaked.

Yep. For those love new socks for round 2 of a tourney new socks AND new shoes are pure heaven.

I say stay away from Waterproof shoes and get some low cut leather hikers that are all leather, without mesh. Gore-Tex showa and other like materials brake down so quick that they are often not worth getting. The all leather one last longer and can be just as comfortable as the trail running/fast packing shoes if they are well Designed. Do not get the thick leather low cut hikers or you end up with shoes too stiff to do disc golf with. If you are using them for winter, get the full cut leather hiking shoe but not the full winter pairs, too stiff again and do not lace up the last two parts of the shoe.

I think we can all agree that those adidas are crap, right?

Not really, just most brands with gore-tex or like product are garbage. Now the other thing you do is get all low cut all leather hikers and Adidas makes a pair of Terrex that are with the same mid sole and tread but leather upper.

Last edited:
Inov-8 have a super low ramp angle if that is what you are talking about. These for instance have a 4mm drop. That's nothing. I'm surprised more disc golfers aren't wearing these,
given the name:
x-talon-225-red-blk-gry-side_22.jpg

I am surprised others have not used these. https://www.altrarunning.com/running-shoes/men#Trail or https://www.altrarunning.com/running-shoes/women#Trail 0 mm drop in all the shoes heel height.

Last edited: