• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Adidas Terrex Peaked?

I like the Merrell Moab 2 Ventilator Wide (J06011W). I have a narrow heal and wide toe area; this shoe fits me well and has lasted. I'm mainly a forehand thrower and most courses I play have concrete tee pads. These shoes have lasted quite a long time with a little toe wear (slight wear, no holes or material damage - can't easily see the damage).

Terrex: Sole was great, the upper part of the shoe was shredded in <6 mo. Only did 1 pair

Salomon: the aforementioned XA Pro 3D were by shoes of choice until they raised the price to $150. They're my favorite, but not that that price...

Keen
Targhee II: the side sole split, they fixed that on the Targhee III
Targhee III: my current shoe of choice but its a little bulky

Merrell: I have destroyed every Vibram sole I've owned.

Peaking: I think pros are just like the rest of us and try different options... Nike didn't have much market share in this category a few years ago, so this is just the "new mouse trap".

Seeing how closely new players follow pros and mimic them... if I were a pro, I'd try some stupid ****, just to see if I could get the lemmings to follow...

I am in this camp as well. I absolutely HAVE to have a wide (EEE) shoe. I did look up the terrex mids and they do not offer this.

Does anyone have a good recommendation in a wide size (11.5 or 12)? I do not have a runup, more of a slow walking X-step, but most courses I play ARE concrete pads.

I know that barefoot shoes arent the best for standing up to concrete tees but have you tried anything like that before because they do have a much wider toe box. I dont have wide feet and I prefer this kind of shoe for everything, except disc golf on concrete tees.

I have wide feet and like Merrells also. Mine say J06029W inside the tongue of the shoe. They are MOAB 2 waterproof hiking shoes. I have been wearing them for about 2.5 years now and have three pair. All three pair are still usable, but the soles are worn and traction reduced on the oldest pair. I play 3-5 rounds/week year round. They are much more comfortable for me than Adidas (due to my wide feet), and hold up better than any other shoes I've tried. I agree with a previous comment that the waterproofing is not great with these. My newest pair (purchased Sept 2020) is still a little water resistant, but not waterproof. Even when new, they are really more of a water resistant shoe than truly waterproof.

Personally I was not please how quickly the Terrex shoes got torn up by concrete tees. I was lucky if they lasted me a year.

True, but my New Balance, Salomons and Nikes didn't fare any better either.

I will say that my Salomon winter boots have held up extremely well, but for how thick the tread is (and how much they cost) they better.

Tip on the Terrex to save money - get a pair without Gortex for summer wear/dry days . They cost anywhere from 30 to 50% less, and breathe better and are a bit lighter and more flexible on your feet.

True, but my New Balance, Salomons and Nikes didn't fare any better either.

Merrell soles tend to last a bit long for me. I am in year 3 of two pairs and still do not have any issues yet.

Also I tend to drag my feet more often than most.

I really like Merrell Vapor Trails and think they are among the best shoes for the money for disc golf as long as you don't mind them not being water proof.

Here is the wear one three pairs; back one is one year old, middle is 7 months , closest(lime) pair is 3 months.

Attachments

• 28270404-9D67-4BA8-A799-1F39065D8553.jpg
    28270404-9D67-4BA8-A799-1F39065D8553.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 60
My Keen experience was not good. Have not gone back after owning Targhee IIs (lasted only 9 months), but maybe I should revisit them?

I've had very good luck with Merrell Chameleons and Moabs. The shoes fall apart after about 18-24 months, but the soles show very little damage.

Using a pair of Terrex as my everyday shoes (and some disc), not sure which variety and I'm not taking them off at work to check ;). They are holding up pretty OK

I really like Merrell Vapor Trails and think they are among the best shoes for the money for disc golf as long as you don't mind them not being water proof.

Here is the wear one three pairs; back one is one year old, middle is 7 months , closest(lime) pair is 3 months.

I don't **** with goretex (spelling?) or any other version of waterproofing. I'll check them out once my last pair of Vapor Trails (I think that's the version) are dieing:thmbup:

Keen
Targhee II: the side sole split, they fixed that on the Targhee III
Targhee III: my current shoe of choice but its a little bulky
I like the Targhee II mids.
I hate the Targhee III mids.

Recently switched to the Altra Lone Peak, and been liking them so far.

Possibly hot take. Super thin and breathable shoes (I currently wear Xero shoes on the course) with a waterproofing spray and extra socks for worst case scenario is way better than a waterproof shoe. It's not a matter of if your feet get wet but when, even with gortex, and waterproof shoes take ages to dry out.

I played a tournament last month, first hole of round two threw into some foot deep casual water and my casual relief would have taken me OB so my options were walk in a play my shot or go 400ft back to the tee and throw 3. Rolled my pants up and played it from the water. 2 hole later I finally had a minute to change my socks and the shoes were already completely dry. I've had waterproof shoes in the past that have taken over an entire day siting outside before they dried out.

I think right now I have two pairs of Keen and a pair of Terrix. I do like fit of the Keen shoes, but they do seem to collect water even though they are suppose to be waterproof. I will not even purchase a shoe for disc golf unless it says waterproof.

I want to be able to walk in water and not have my feet get wet. A good pair does this unless you step into a really deep puddle.

When conditions are wet, I usually change shoes when they get wet and I usually change socks between rounds. This does come into play in some of my disc golf days.

I can't remember what my 4th pair of shoes are. My two original pairs I use to have were both from Dynamic Discs and I still think they were the best disc golf shoes I have had. I wore both of those pairs out.

Possibly hot take. Super thin and breathable shoes (I currently wear Xero shoes on the course) with a waterproofing spray and extra socks for worst case scenario is way better than a waterproof shoe. It's not a matter of if your feet get wet but when, even with gortex, and waterproof shoes take ages to dry out.

I played a tournament last month, first hole of round two threw into some foot deep casual water and my casual relief would have taken me OB so my options were walk in a play my shot or go 400ft back to the tee and throw 3. Rolled my pants up and played it from the water. 2 hole later I finally had a minute to change my socks and the shoes were already completely dry. I've had waterproof shoes in the past that have taken over an entire day siting outside before they dried out.

Through trial and error I also came to the exact same conclusion as you. I rock the Terrex without gortex, they're half the price, lighter and more flexible and have the exact same tread bottom as the GTX ones. I just get wet and not worry about it, as long as you have comfy poly socks on once you get used to it it's no big deal at all. Extra pair of dry socks/shoes for 2nd round and you're good to go.

I have found that the GTX liner does come in handy as a warmth insulator though and helps keep your toes warm. GTX Terrex are great as an intermediary shoe for those 35 to 50 degree days where it's a bit cold for regular trainers but maybe a full on winter boot isn't necessary. The less I have to break out my expensive Salomon winter boots the longer they last which is also a benefit.

Last edited:
Zero drop shoes have solid positives and negatives. I have a pair of Xero zero drop trail shoes and they fit and feel great. I feel like my putting is better while wearing them because I feel more stable. The problem is that on a hilly course, the zero drop burns out your calves. Not a huge deal for a casual round, and maybe even a positive when you consider you are getting extra workout. But if you play competitively, I wouldn't want extra fatigue on a two round day.

I
I want to be able to walk in water and not have my feet get wet. A good pair does this unless you step into a really deep puddle.

When conditions are wet, I usually change shoes when they get wet and I usually change socks between rounds. This does come into play in some of my disc golf days.

I'm with you Mr. Lord God our Pizza savior. I've been having good luck with the Keen Durand 2. I am cycling two pair, with one new pair hidden away in the closet. If I find a pair of waterproof mids that like, I'll buy a second (sometimes a third) set just because it's so hard to find replacements.

do any barefoots/minimalist really last for dg standards

also back to the op i didnt like terrex for dg unless it was dirt pads on the cement they just felt like clunky cleats