• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the sport and open to feedback.

BobMcG

Hi everyone. I just posted my first post in the newbie introductions forum. Here comes number two. I just started playing about two months ago so this might seem kind of silly, but I feel I am progressing quickly in some areas and others I feel like I need work. Some of this I feel is my technique (of course) and some improper disc selection. Thanks for your input!

Sex: Male
Injuries/handicaps?: Pain in bicep tendon after FH drives. Ibuprofen works for a little while. It limits me to a handful of FH drives per round.
Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to cover all required shots without having to switch between BH and FH, should the pain in my bicep prevent me from playing FH comfortably. Also looking for a more manageable max distance driver. I'm looking for a bag I can grow into and not have tons of different molds.
Years playing/experience: DG 2 months; 10 years of Ultimate; 6 years Raquetball
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right
Throwing Style: Yes! BH, FH, or OH depending the hole. I am comfortable with them equally.
Golf Distance for putter/mid/driver: XD: 225/250'; Buzzz: 250/275'; Beast 325/375; Boss 350/400* I only throw the Boss FH with lots of or OH. It's really to much disc for me.

Let me say that for my entire bag, except the Boss, everything flies with the flight ratings that it is supposed to.

Bag:

Distance Drivers:
171 Champ Boss, (8/10) - big distance FH drives and wind driver.
175 Champ Beast (8/10) - main driver and primary OH disc
171 Champ Sidewinder (8/10) - drives where an S shape is desired.
175 Pro Wraith (8/10) - Flies just like my Beast with 20' more distance and a little more fade. I usually just pick up my Beast instead because I'm comfortable with it.
168 Pro Beast (7/10) - Long distance anhyzers. I'm looking for something in higher quality plastic that will turn without waiting for my Champ Beast or SW to beat in.
175 DX Sidewinder (6/10) - Rollers. Really poorly executed rollers. And a couple sweet ones. But mostly bad ones.

Fairway Drivers:
172 Champ Eagle (9/10) - Everything in the 150-300 range where I need a good dependable fade. I'll also use it for OH throws where the Beast is too much.
172 Champ Eagle (9/10) - Backup. Will get more use when my other Eagle gets beat in some more.
175 Z-Glo Zombee (9/10) - Flies like my eagle without the strong fade. Great for wooded tunnel like shots. Great glide. Used in place of the Buzzz when a skip is desired. Once this gets beat in I can see it being a great anhyzer fairway/mid disc.

Mids:
172 Z Buzzz (9/10) - Main mid
172 Z Buzzz (9.5/10) - Waiting for the other one to get beat in.
175 DX Shark (7/10) - Anhyzers mid shots. Will go away when first Buzzz gets beat.

Putters:
174 DX XD (9/10) x 3 - Main putt and approach disc. I've got two for putting and a third for approaches. I enjoy the rim and flight characteristics. I works well and I've become very comfortable throwing it FH. It doesn't react to wind much and straight throws to the basket go in.
175 DX Aviar P&A (8/10) - Approaches and putts where I want the wind to pick it up and help shape the line.
175 R-Pro Dart (8/10) - Short drives and approaches I want to stick to the ground.

I also own a Pro Starfire, DX Wraith and DX Leopard but only use them for driving practice. I like the Starfire's flight path but would prefer it to be a little faster. To recap my goals, I'm really looking for something that I can throw as far as the Boss without the super stability. Something I wouldn't throw often except when I need big distance. Destroyer? Like I had mentioned earlier, I feel a gap in my anhyzer abilities should I choose to throw only BH because of the FH pain. Any other thoughts you have are welcome as well.

Thanks again!

I definitely wouldnt be throwing a boss 2 months in except if you can drive at least 400. Sidewinder is an excellent beginner driver. I saw that u use a beast or eagle for overhand (tomahawk) shots, I would try using that boss for that. Also I would try throwing a teebird for a fairway driver, and a DX or KC pro roc or a roc3 for a mid. hope I could help!

I would suggest a Tern for a distance driver that will be a lot easier to throw and is not as overstable as a boss. The champ ones have a nice slight amount of turn while the star ones are understable.

Best thing for your game is course work. Gets you in shape and strengthens muscles that you will use discing.

I would suggest a Tern for a distance driver that will be a lot easier to throw and is not as overstable as a boss. The champ ones have a nice slight amount of turn while the star ones are understable.

I 2nd this.

Terns are easy distance. Once gotten use to you can shape some good lines with them. Champion for Stable duties and a Star for understable duties. :thmbup: