• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Next Gen Tour... LIVE

I would consider sportsmanship the primary part of his calculus on going for it similar to Johne and Sexton going for it on 17 at USDGC, especially since it was a playoff. I think most of us would prefer to win a playoff with our skill versus having it handed to us, given a choice. By making that putt, he wins it outright even without Silas' OB penalty. I suspect we've all seen or experienced bad luck trying to lay-up at times. (But personally, I think I would have tried to slide my putter upside down to the pin ;))

He did win with his skill. He didn't throw it the water.

No...Silas Schultz was the 14 year old player and he took second place. I spoke to him on Saturday and he is mature beyond his years and has an arm on him. He threw an MD3 on hole 14 and parked it during the second round on Saturday. I am sure Louisiana is proud of you Silas. Big things are ahead of you.

Thank you, it's always nice to see some youngsters doing big things out there! I haven't seen any of the tourney footage just yet.

Was he running it? It hit the pole pretty low. I thought he just over threw his lay up.

He step-putted it. That isn't the sort of thing you do on a 50-60 footer downhill if your intent is to lay up. That's just inviting the over-throw you're suggesting. Even if he wasn't explicitly running it, it was still an aggressive choice for a lay up shot.

IMO, if you're laying up in that situation, you shouldn't even be aiming for the pole/basket. I'd aim for the ground just to the left or right of the target. On that green, the only chance of a laid up shot getting on edge and rolling is if it were to hit the pole or the lock/tab at the base.

No...Silas Schultz was the 14 year old player and he took second place. I spoke to him on Saturday and he is mature beyond his years and has an arm on him. He threw an MD3 on hole 14 and parked it during the second round on Saturday. I am sure Louisiana is proud of you Silas. Big things are ahead of you.

I'm friends with the Schultz family so I may be a bit biased, but they are the next disc golf family dynasty. They're all avid disc golfers and quality people on top of that.

Thunder Schultz (oldest sibling) is sponsored by Discmania, Silas is due for a contract with Latitude64 (and they're downright stupid if they don't sign him, you can quote me on that), and 11yo Simian is nipping at Silas' heels at local events in Baton Rouge as well.

This may be a dumb question, but is Silas Schultz related to Barry Schultz?

I'm friends with the Schultz family so I may be a bit biased, but they are the next disc golf family dynasty. They're all avid disc golfers and quality people on top of that.

Thunder Schultz (oldest sibling) is sponsored by Discmania, Silas is due for a contract with Latitude64 (and they're downright stupid if they don't sign him, you can quote me on that), and 11yo Simian is nipping at Silas' heels at local events in Baton Rouge as well.

Those are some awesome names. Thunder Schultz literally sounds like the name you'd give a disc golf video game avatar with max stats. Thunder Climo would be a little too on the nose.

This may be a dumb question, but is Silas Schultz related to Barry Schultz?

They aren't related, but I'm sure you're not the only one who wondered :)

Those are some awesome names. Thunder Schultz literally sounds like the name you'd give a disc golf video game avatar with max stats. Thunder Climo would be a little too on the nose.

:clap::clap: