• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night golfing

Maglites are great for finding lost discs but do not hold a candle to UV flashlights when it is time to charge glow plastic.

I say UV lights are better to find discs and to light them. They really stand out better once the UV light hits them and you don't have to re-adjust your eyes to the light.

I always used a camera flash. If you have a realy nice camera use the detachable flash. Just hit the button and bam! Glows like a champ. If you lack a sweet camera, go buy a disposable camera (kodak had the best flash) and if you hit the charge button on the back, then slap it against your palm, bam! The flash goes off. Super glow power. Just make sure not to wind the camera. Super cheap and effective. Lasts about five/six rounds.

Last edited:
Now looka, I say looka here son...you buy a disposable camera every five/six rounds, hows that cheaper than a $12 UV flashlight?

my friend charged his Glo roc the other night and he used his super bright white custom aquarium tank lights....these bad boys are seriously as close as it comes to pure white light I've ever seen. That bad boy stayed glowing like a night light all night long. I was amazed.

UV light is far superior to white light. Pay attention, boy! I'm cuttin' but you're not bleedin'!

Nice boy, but doesn't listen to a thing you say. You got a bum steer, son. I'm a chicken, not a schnook. You're wrong, son.

Now looka, I say looka here son...you buy a disposable camera every five/six rounds, hows that cheaper than a $12 UV flashlight?

night golf was always impromptu and usually really late at night. You can get a disposable camera at a gas station. You can't necessarily get a uv flashlight at a gas station.

Everbody has different ideas about whats best. Ive played a ton of night golf over the years and Blacklight UV L.E.D flashlights are what most serious night golfers use. The overwhelming opinion is that they work better then anything else.

Some guys around these parts use those LED fishing bobber lites. The catch...hehe...is that we buy a short roll of 3/4" sticky backed velcro. If a fella was to crazy glue his little fishing bobber lite to the center of a short ( say 2" ) strip of male velcro, then stick 2" strips of female velcro on any of the discs he plans to take night golfing, then he could simply peal the velcroed & glued bobber lite from one disc and quickly stick it to another. Bingo! It works.

I stick the velcro on the top myself , cuz if the disc flips upside down on landing, it almost always lays in such a way as to allow some light to show. I can adapt my entire bag this way in a couple minutes.

Last edited:
Everbody has different ideas about whats best. Ive played a ton of night golf over the years and Blacklight UV L.E.D flashlights are what most serious night golfers use. The overwhelming opinion is that they work better then anything else.

Yeah, I've got those 51-led flashlights like TC was mentioning, and I really couldn't see myself needing anything more powerful. Works super well with CFR glow, and reasonably well with DX glow. Pretty sturdy too, not gonna break if you drop it.

Also, powerful enough to use as a flashlight for walking, searching for discs, etc. without ruining night vision. Regular flashlights SUCK for night golf. Keeping your night vision so you can see the faint glow of your disc under a pile of leaves or whatever is vastly easier than stumbling around half-blind with a regular flashlight.

Somebody mentioned duct tape for taping the LED's on, however I have found medical tape to do the job much better. I never have to adjust it, reapply, or anything like that. In fact, we had a disc end up in a stream and the tape held on like it was nothing.....just thought I would throw that out there.

ok here is a great trike i have used. get a lazer pointer point at basket and move it back and forth this makes the chains look like there gloing works great for that fast pic up night round. the down side is you need at least 2 people.

Glow plastic doesn't work in the snow. That's a deal breaker for me as I run a glow league that plays throughout the winter.

Best solution I've found is a disc golf specific LED tape-on light with a button to turn it on and off. The whole light assembly is low profile (maybe 1mm thickness) and light. It has a watch battery for power so it lasts a long time. I leave them taped on for the whole glow season so no maintenance required.

Taped_LED.jpg

The light is shown above ^^^ from this article: http://www.pdga.com/leding-indicators

I don't recommend the tape used in that photo though. We all use Scotch brand clear duct tape and you must apply it in a room temperature environment. If you put it on in the cold it will fall off when you hit a tree.

Now that I have the right equipment I love glow and it is the only way I can get a round in during the week in the wintertime.

Where?

Where can I buy these? I've looked in the PDGA store and found no night golf related items. When checking other online DG retailers I can bobber LEDs but not these.

SNIP
Best solution I've found is a disc golf specific LED tape-on light with a button to turn it on and off. The whole light assembly is low profile (maybe 1mm thickness) and light. It has a watch battery for power so it lasts a long time. I leave them taped on for the whole glow season so no maintenance required.

Taped_LED.jpg

The light is shown above ^^^ from this article: http://www.pdga.com/leding-indicators

SNIP

Packing tape and duct tape suck in the snow and ice.

3M Electrical Tape FTW.

3M33BK-1.jpg