• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No matter the style my putts miss right

I recall a video of Felberg at a putting clinic in which he said that he aims more left the further he is from the basket.

Putting has always been the biggest struggle of my game. I've struggled to find consistency even at the 10' - 15' range and am currently easily bleeding 4+ strokes a game vs hitting 90% inside 20'.

I've done the putting confidence program when I was push putting, during which i could get into a rhythm when practicing. But at the end of the month, my putting during a round hadn't improved much and suffered the same inconsistency.

It seemed to come down to one issue. A tendency to pull right away from the pole. And then a mental hesitation about pulling right that would cause me to short it or not commit. I'd rarely miss high but straight. Would often miss right to right and high. and would miss low often, but rarely left.

I'm about 2 months in to coming back to the game after a ~4 years away from it. I bought a practice basket for my apartment since I can't get to a course everyday. I've been cycling through a number of different variables. Discs, plastics, beaded vs no bead, spin putting, grips, stance.

With spin putts i'm struggling to not "over open" my wrist, though i have been moderately more successful with them in general. There is just physically less going on.

I'll do long sessions to try and build some muscle memory. Short sessions to keep focus. I'll hit 10-12 in a row from 15'. Come back and miss 3/4. I'll focus on my chain or on the pole, and put 4 putts in a row 1 1/2 ft right.

Anyone fought through this particular issue before? Anyone have a mental trick or form cue to help combat it? Its getting a bit discouraging. Its just a bit crazy to me that I've put in several thousand practice putts in multiple styles from 15' and still see no consistency at that distance with any of those styles.

Try whatever putting style and disc you use in the 20 foot plus range unless that is a very big hyzer putt and or overstable putter.

Are you opening to a handshake? That's a pretty easy stopping point to hit. Just shake hands with your target.

I do with my Spin putt when I am adding more spin the further I am from the basket I am hybrid Spin push putter, I do the like I am handing a letter off to another person across a conference table as far as I can reach and that helps with my putting style. I also use non dominate hand as a track to guide the disc as to help when to stop with the up and down in the putting, problem of push putting.

Yes terminology is inconsistent. Old ("push") putt was bent arm, finger pop, but little to no wrist break (not a spin putt).

New putt is more traditional straight(ish) arm pitch putt.

Yeah my old putt was quirky.

I had a putt as one point a two handed basketball putt that worked at the time with feet like you are doing a free throw and it had no spin at all prior to 2014. Before that in 2003-2004 I was doing the cowboy shovel putt that worked for the Rubber Putter, I changed putters and had to change my putting style to fit the disc. If I used a Rubber Putter today I would Go back to the Putt I have used with the disc that seemed to work for me and if that did not work I would do the putt I use now.

I do with my Spin putt when I am adding more spin the further I am from the basket I am hybrid Spin push putter, I do the like I am handing a letter off to another person across a conference table as far as I can reach and that helps with my putting style. I also use non dominate hand as a track to guide the disc as to help when to stop with the up and down in the putting, problem of push putting.

Oh and I forgot, I would have feet set up with front foot pointed to the pole of basket in a darts like stance and further back putts push off with the back foot and raise the back leg higher and higher the further back I am to help with putt speed. I do not even think about this when I putt half of the time.

What are you putting with?

The reason I ask is because when I put with beadless putters, they seem to drag a little on the crease of my index finger and I hang on to them just that extra bit and every other putt misses right.

The bigger the bead the better for me.

Just a thought

Good call he could also be using a very understable putter too right now.

Latest posts