• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob Looking for Help

Tdubya

I started throwing discs about a week before Christmas at a course near my place with borrowed discs from my brother. I told him I really enjoyed it and he kindly gave me some used discs as a present. Fast forward till now and I've played(5 courses, 11 rounds), read and viewed hours of disc golf everything.

I'm able to throw the disc now on a level plane and get 250-300 out of my rhbh. I can't throw in a bunch of follow through or a big x step or everything goes haywire. I'm looking for tips on form or something I'm doing wrong that shouldn't become habit. I'm still really new and trying out different things. Here is a vid from yesterday throwing into 25+mph winds at Lake Lewisville Park http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=151&mode=ci. #11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65tLLb-vwQ&context=C305e510ADOEgsToPDskKEbv1PgY8Nx3xtYd8j3QL7

Welcome to the addiction and oat interventions. I recognize your classic Teerex wushu with NSTHSDS(noob starts throwing with high speed driver syndrome). It's like feeding gremlins after midnight. I like your slow walk approach, you'd be best to learn to throw slow discs like putters and mids. You know the Poison song, "your moma don't dance and your daddy don't rock and roll." Where I am going with this? Your hips ain't moving and you got no snap...get your right butt cheek facing your target more on the plant and start the lawn mower.

Good news is you might not ingrain bad habits if you combing the following:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220
http://ripsychotherapy.com/pdf/RightPecDrill.pdf

i was terrible at disc golf until i start incorporating fairway drivers into my game in order to teach myself more kinetically sound form. things like the teebird, the leopard, perhaps the XS from discraft. the best thing you can do for your game for long term success to to build fundamentally solid technique. i found, the best way for me to do this personally, was to force myself to throw slower discs. i didn't throw anything over speed 7 for awhile...the teebird was my "top distance" driver

disc selection is just as important a part of early development as learning the actual technique. i also cannot understate the importance of learning to throw mids and putters, as they offer maximum control and can teach you the most, at least I think, about disc flights

take it from someone who, when i signed up, navigated all my local disc golf courses with a series of wobbly tomahawks from the teepad

this sport isn't hard. you just need to be smart

You really can't go wrong with teebird and leopard in the bag. But putter drives are the ticket to better form.

In a strong headwind, though, you're not going to be able to drive putters. In fact, strong headwind is just plain hard to deal with. Might want to try something like a rhino or gator and don't overpower it.

I watched the 3 videos posted within a week of going out. I really liked how the discraft guy explained the starting lawn mower, and accelerating at the end of the throw. I've also watched the Walker vids on snap, but like someone said, I don't think I've got any snap at all.

I've watched the kid in the dorm room video "throwing backhands for power." I've watched Beto's vids, and other various videos (some more than twice).

I've been trying to "pull start" and then accelerate through my throw, and have some kind of accuracy, while keeping the nose down.

I try to throw my Buzzz off the tee often, but when it's wide open, and there is gale force winds beating me in the face, like in the vid, I threw the Nuke SS.

My bag consists of these discs;
Beat up putter (gift, not sure who made it, as it's all worn)
Aviar R-Pro Putter (first disc I bought)
Buzzz (bought this with the Aviar, use it for everything just about)
Star Roc (bought new from a vendor at the course Sunday. Haven't thrown it but once)
An old Wolf (looks like a mid, but it says distance driver on it)
Avenger SS (bought new 10 days ago, and my disc of choice for long drives)
Nuke SS (almost new, only thrown 10 times)
Star Archon (almost new, only tried it a couple of times)
Champ Valkyrie (gift)
Champ Starfire (gift, used in windy conditions for stability)
Champ Groove (gift, don't really throw it)
Champ Sidewinder (gift, throw it occasionally)

I think I'll try to incorporate some snap into my throw first, and then possibly add some hip swing and weight shift next, then some good follow through? I plan to try those drills posted here for snap. The few times I've tried to snap it seems my hand holds on to the disc too long and I swing it out far to the right, grip lock?

My bag consists of these discs;
Beat up putter (gift, not sure who made it, as it's all worn)
Aviar R-Pro Putter (first disc I bought)
Buzzz (bought this with the Aviar, use it for everything just about)
Star Roc (bought new from a vendor at the course Sunday. Haven't thrown it but once)
An old Wolf (looks like a mid, but it says distance driver on it)
Avenger SS (bought new 10 days ago, and my disc of choice for long drives)
Nuke SS (almost new, only thrown 10 times)
Star Archon (almost new, only tried it a couple of times)
Champ Valkyrie (gift)
Champ Starfire (gift, used in windy conditions for stability)
Champ Groove (gift, don't really throw it)
Champ Sidewinder (gift, throw it occasionally)

Some good advice would be to take everything in red out of your bag for now. Save them for later when you get better. Do not keep them in the bag and say I'm just not going to throw them. That never works when they are sitting there it's just too tempting. Just keep them in a closet at home or the trunk of the car. As for the one in blue get rid of it and never look back. Do what you have to trade it, sell it, give it away, set it on fire. I don't care just make it so you NEVER see this disc again.

If you get anymore discs get fairway drivers. For Innova it's speed 7 and lower.

Removing those from the bag doesn't sound like a bad idea. I can just about throw the Buzzz as far as anything else in the bag at the moment, except when I throw something like the Nuke on a RHFH. If I get an urge to buy more discs I'll stick to something like the Leopard and Teebird, like someone mentioned. It seems like I will need something stable for throwing during windy conditions. Any recomendations? I had a situation last weekend where the Buzzz proved to be too unstable on a few throws with the high wind gusts. The right edge dropped and it took off right on me.

I'd also like a recommendation on another approach/putter that's a bit more firm than a R-Pro Aviar for longer shots. Something that has a lip like the buzz would be nice.

I can't say if any putter feel like a buzzz dose. But for throwing into the wind a teebird I good as long as it's not a crazy wind. I use a banshee and alot of guys sware by the firebird.

Went out and threw some at the local park near the office. I was getting about 250 ft. or so out of the Z buzz and Star Roc, but I seem to reach for the Buzzz more often as it just feels good in the hand. I'm going to have to work on throwing the putters for distance. Both of the putters in my bag, when thrown like a mid/driver off the tee, will turn over quick and go 120-150 ft. Not sure if I'm trying too hard or what, but they don't like the way I try to launch them. R-Pro Aviar and a really worn putter that feels similar to the R-Pro plastic. My score was only 1 stroke off my previous attempt at this course using drivers and everything else. Today, I used the Buzzz and Aviar on almost every shot.

Avoid injuries by doing a proper warm up like you would do for any other physical activity. It is very easy to injure yourself when first starting out. Keep it simple, focus on form over strength and don't ignore pain if you start noticing any.

I'd also like a recommendation on another approach/putter that's a bit more firm than a R-Pro Aviar for longer shots. Something that has a lip like the buzz would be nice.

KC pro Aviar very firm and the best putter Innova makes.

Went out and threw some at the local park near the office. I was getting about 250 ft. or so out of the Z buzz and Star Roc, but I seem to reach for the Buzzz more often as it just feels good in the hand. I'm going to have to work on throwing the putters for distance. Both of the putters in my bag, when thrown like a mid/driver off the tee, will turn over quick and go 120-150 ft. Not sure if I'm trying too hard or what, but they don't like the way I try to launch them. R-Pro Aviar and a really worn putter that feels similar to the R-Pro plastic. My score was only 1 stroke off my previous attempt at this course using drivers and everything else. Today, I used the Buzzz and Aviar on almost every shot.

With the putters how are you throwing them? When you release is the disc on this angle -, or /, or, \. Are you seeing wobbles (a.k.a oat= off axis torque)?

Avoid injuries by doing a proper warm up like you would do for any other physical activity. It is very easy to injure yourself when first starting out. Keep it simple, focus on form over strength and don't ignore pain if you start noticing any.

Ha, I watched some discraft videos last night watched some chick talking about how to win before you start, and the proper warm up. I did a little P90x warmup right before the first tee.

My putter release was mostly flat on the first 2 attempts, and they flew flat for about 80-100 feet, then turned over quickly straight to the ground. The throws felt pretty good, and I was trying to snap like slamming a yo-yo like I had watched in a video. The next 2 I tried throwing with a bit of hyzer, and those flipped up flat and glided a bit before both hit some limbs of a tree. I got the nose up on those from attempting too much hyzer I guess. I'm not seeing any oat/wobble, other than with my roc on my first easy warmup throw.

The yo-yo comment I read/watched really helped me understand what kind of snap I should be trying for. I think it gave me more distance today, and it didn't affect my accuracy much at all.

Work on throwing your putters with a hyzer angle on release. Another way not to hurt yourself is to remember to follow through. Also remember to adjust your hyzer angle with your back not your arm/wrist. So if you're throwing with a hyzer your arm and wrist movement should be the same as throwing flat. The only thing that should change is that your bending at the waist. Also remember that when you throw on a hyzer that the angle of your arm on the follow through should match the angle of the disc.

You really can't go wrong with teebird and leopard in the bag. But putter drives are the ticket to better form.

In a strong headwind, though, you're not going to be able to drive putters. In fact, strong headwind is just plain hard to deal with. Might want to try something like a rhino or gator and don't overpower it.
great advice but in a strong head wind i would suggest a zone for a putter drive this is how i started my game and im easily over 370 with my leo and tb over 400 with a destroyer...