• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

So...

What is the go to dye for a day glo color? I have some white star plastic discs that I would like to dye into the brightest color I can.

I grew up playing lacrosse and got decent at doing dye jobs with the heads of the sticks, so I'm not completely lost on the process.

Any insight would be great.

The 2 brightest dyes I have used, that are closest to day-glow are worm dye yellow, and Pylam Fluorescent yellow.

I am not really a fan of worm dye, so if I was going for day glow I'd use fluorescent yellow, but that's harder to find. But it also glows in UV, which is cool - looks SUPER bright in sunlight.

Anyone have a good mix for GOLD? I'm trying to do a SF 49ers logo. I'll run some tests, just wanted to ask, I'm sure someone's gotten a good gold.

Hey guys... I'm putting together a bulk order for some iDye Poly. If anyone wants to get in on it, let me know!

Anyone have a good mix for GOLD? I'm trying to do a SF 49ers logo. I'll run some tests, just wanted to ask, I'm sure someone's gotten a good gold.

Ok, this may sound crazy, but I think Idye orange + turquoise = gold.

No clue on the ratios, and I have never tested it. I did a tye dye on a Mace once where I just covered the thing in detergent mixes, and the places where the orange and trq mixed are a nice gold. I always meant to try it again but never have. If you are testing things out on a test disc, give that a shot.

picture.php

The area just to the right of "Mace" is what I am talking about.

And regardless of whether it works, let us know what you end up using for gold.

Last edited:
I know this has probably been answered, but I dig through a couple dozen pages of responses and couldn't find anything-

I'm thinking of picking up some quick coat worm dip for spin dying. Do you all use this straight on the disc or mix it with anything first? Also anyone have any luck with liquid synthetic rit?

Worm dye is already pre mixed with acetone, so no need to mix with anything.

Never used any liquid dyes, but I imagine liquid rit is like powder. You can mix with acetone if u want, but not necessary.

Is the iDye Poly recommended now for shaving cream dyes? Just water to mix it, then mix with shaving cream and laid on a shaving cream bed? I tried this a while back with no success, it was the new crap rit formula though.

Which vinyl, Oracle 631 or 651, would leave the least amount of residue behind? I have been using clear contact paper, but wanted to try out some better stuff.

Sorry if this isnt the right place for this, but I've got a brand new white RDG ptero that is in need of a dye. What should I dye it? I cant seem to make up my mind.

I just did a quick SC dye, a simple Ptero stencil and an RDG Eye vinyl sticker...

Probably a stupid question, but as far as adding on a vinyl decal to your disc have you noticed any flight characteristic differences?

I recently bought a Millenium Polaris LS and it is just plain white with nothing on it and I thought about adding a decal to give it some color. But was worried it may change the flight pattern or weigh it down.

Sorry for the noob inquiry!

If you put a sticker on it it's not PDGA legal, and you can't use it in a tourney. Other than that out should fly just fine

Probably a stupid question, but as far as adding on a vinyl decal to your disc have you noticed any flight characteristic differences?

I recently bought a Millenium Polaris LS and it is just plain white with nothing on it and I thought about adding a decal to give it some color. But was worried it may change the flight pattern or weigh it down.

Sorry for the noob inquiry!

No, I only used the vinyl decal as a stencil before the dye to get RDG's logo on it. I removed it along with the Pterodactyl stencil after dyeing. Nothing was left on the disc. All you see in that photo is a SC dye and the white plastic. sscarmana is correct, anything other than dye or ink make the disc illegal for sanctioned play.

Latest posts