• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Question for any pros who have played the Kentwood course in Raleigh, NC. I've only played a few times but I feel like I'm much better than the other players I've seen out there and am maybe interested in really getting serious about this sport. I just want to see what score a professional shoots out there on that particular course on average to see how I measure up.

Question for any pros who have played the Kentwood course in Raleigh, NC. I've only played a few times but I feel like I'm much better than the other players I've seen out there and am maybe interested in really getting serious about this sport. I just want to see what score a professional shoots out there on that particular course on average to see how I measure up.

You can look at the course scores or SSA ratings on this site or the PDGA site.

weight question

Noob..
When I first started (6 months ago) a buddy let me borrow some old discs to practice. All were in the 175 gram range.

Could not throw them worth a crap and bought some 165 fairways and 168 +/- mids. I am much more comfortable with this weight range.
Might be just mental.

Last weekend I won a few discs at doubles. All 170-172 range.
Two drivers, a glow comet (will keep for glow rounds coming up).

Before I throw the drivers.
Will 5 grams (the weight of a nickle) help or hurt?
Will I even notice?

Naively, and on this topic I'm basically a noob, it seems like five or even ten grams shouldn't matter much. I notice 45 grams, for sure. I think I saw a noticeable difference form 150 to 175 as well, but it's been a while since I've tried 150.

I did recently pick up a new road runner. Champion. 168 g? Metal flake CFR, or some such. I'm pretty used to 175 g champion roadrunners, and have been through two different ones. _Maybe_ my current one is beat in enough to have evolved from its new condition. But, the 168 g disc does seem to fly differently... But, it the beating? The run? The weight?

I don't _think_ I've noticed a difference from my 2.5 g flight lights, and a gram or two of packing tape. But, I don't remove them once they go on. So, it's a little hard to say.

Anybody with more, or clearer experience, on this?

I thought so too. It is clearly a capital T and does not match up with a roc +
That's quite curious. Well, if it's an Ontario Roc it should be domey and have Ontario on the tooling, if it's a flat top it should be flat. I've never heard of a run of star flat tops unless it was a tournament run or something. You've got me stumped.
Noob..
When I first started (6 months ago) a buddy let me borrow some old discs to practice. All were in the 175 gram range.

Could not throw them worth a crap and bought some 165 fairways and 168 +/- mids. I am much more comfortable with this weight range.
Might be just mental.

Last weekend I won a few discs at doubles. All 170-172 range.
Two drivers, a glow comet (will keep for glow rounds coming up).

Before I throw the drivers.
Will 5 grams (the weight of a nickle) help or hurt?
Will I even notice?
Lighter = easier to get up to speed, better glide. Heavier = better wind resistance (and thus better control) and is easier to feel pulling out of your hand which leads to better timing. The lighter you go, the cleaner your form needs to be to feel the weight of the other end of the disc trying to rip itself out during a good throw so a lot of people like max weight discs as a sort of bad form mask. 5 grams difference is slightly noticeable but mostly negligible unless you're throwing a mold where the stability seems more affected by weight. For example, a 180 Fuse is going to be markedly straighter and harder to turn than a 175 Fuse but a I've thrown 150 Eagles that were every bit as overstable as a 175 one. It just depends a bit on the mold in question but for the most part weight doesn't affect a disc's stability as much as a lot people think.

I like drivers I'm trying to get distance out of in the mid 160s, control drivers in the 170s and mids and putters usually close to max weight. I think I'm pretty common in that regard.
Naively, and on this topic I'm basically a noob, it seems like five or even ten grams shouldn't matter much. I notice 45 grams, for sure. I think I saw a noticeable difference form 150 to 175 as well, but it's been a while since I've tried 150.

I did recently pick up a new road runner. Champion. 168 g? Metal flake CFR, or some such. I'm pretty used to 175 g champion roadrunners, and have been through two different ones. _Maybe_ my current one is beat in enough to have evolved from its new condition. But, the 168 g disc does seem to fly differently... But, it the beating? The run? The weight?

I don't _think_ I've noticed a difference from my 2.5 g flight lights, and a gram or two of packing tape. But, I don't remove them once they go on. So, it's a little hard to say.

Anybody with more, or clearer experience, on this?
Well, the metal flake RR might have molded up a little different than standard champs, the metal flake might act as a weighing agent, I'm not really sure. It's probably a combination of all three (beating, run, and weight). As discs beat in they pick up little nicks and gouges which helps distort the air around them and makes them straighter (like the dimples on a golf ball) and also impacts can lower the PLH (which is pretty much the best correlation of a disc's stability). Low PLH = understable; high PLH = overstable. And new discs just generally fly more overstable or stable than beat in counterparts of the same mold.

This may be a dumb question but I saw a champion gazelle with the dx stamp on it is it possible to get any other disc in champ plastic with dx stamps?

This may be a dumb question but I saw a champion gazelle with the dx stamp on it is it possible to get any other disc in champ plastic with dx stamps?

Innova's factory store has some under 'Limited Production.' Aside from that, you can probably get some ordered for a tournament fundraiser but I'm not positive.

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/

Is the XD a shallow straight flyer likeish a Pure?

Does Discraft have a putter similar to a Pure, shallow n straight?

If a monarch is supposed to be a turnover disc (-4) why when I throw it rhbh it always goes left? Because I'm not throwing it hard/fast enough
Would it fly different if I threw it rhfh?
Thank you

If a monarch is supposed to be a turnover disc (-4) why when I throw it rhbh it always goes left? Because I'm not throwing it hard/fast enough
Would it fly different if I threw it rhfh?
Thank you

Could be speed or if it's a heavy Champ Monarch, I've thrown a lot of those that were actually kind of beefy. They don't stay that way for long though, just smash your Monarch into some trees and it'll turn like a rotisserie soon enough.

Could be speed or if it's a heavy Champ Monarch, I've thrown a lot of those that were actually kind of beefy. They don't stay that way for long though, just smash your Monarch into some trees and it'll turn like a rotisserie soon enough.

Yes it is a 175 champ. If i do a 360 before I throw it will go right but with 0 aim. I've only been playing a few weeks, I shouldn't even be trying the 360 spin. Thanks for the reply I guess I'll just hit some trees

Yes it is a 175 champ. If i do a 360 before I throw it will go right but with 0 aim. I've only been playing a few weeks, I shouldn't even be trying the 360 spin. Thanks for the reply I guess I'll just hit some trees

I am not sure what a Monarch is speed wise. I think it is a ten if I remember right.Between the fact that it is a max weight and you are so new to the game it might be a bit too much for you. I had this problem myself when I first started. Then earlier this year I pulled everything speed 10 and above out of my bag. For a while I threw nothing but teebirds and a TL for drivers, then I stepped up to Valkyries and a Sidewinder. I just recently added my mamba back to my bag. Trust when I say working with those teebirds until I was getting them to 350 and beyond accurately was a godsend for my form. I am not saying I crush my other drivers, but they do what I want them to almost every time.

Latest posts