• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not quite a Dye....

LoPan12

Double Eagle Member
But I used my vinyl stencil skills on my Camp Time Roll-a-Stool to spray paint my own design. And before anyone says it, I've been dyeing Bob-Ombs on discs WAY before DD used it and slapped they're logo on it.
Tips:
•Use a paint that bonds to plastic.
•The canvas WILL absorb the paint like a liquid. So use moderate coats (still see blue for the first few coats) to get sharp lines. I used heavy coats, and they bled under the edge of the stencil a tiny bit.
•After your initial spray and waiting time, it will soak in and you'll see more blue than right aftr you sprayed.
•Wait about 20 minutes between coats, while paint is just dry to touch.
•Use heat & rolling pressure (aka: rolling pin, not squeegee) on the stencil to get good first time adherence.
•Peel stencil before paint fully cures. If you wait too long, you run the risk of the stencil bonding to the layer of paint, and pulling up bits when you peel it off.
I'm going to let it cure for a few days before reattatching the seat to the legs...just as a precaution.
20130228_204835.jpg

20130301_013344.jpg

Dude, that is spot on bro. It is the Bob-omb! (that was bad, I know).......jb

Lopan do you think that paint is going to hold up to multiple openings and closings? Post another pic after your next tournament please, if it does I'm gonna personalize mine too. Great idea!

My wife and I have been doing the same thing as an easy way to get around screen printing.

il_570xN.407575816_6bnu.jpg

il_570xN.302056993.jpg

That looks sweet.

What about using spray fabric paint/dye, that would probably help with any possible cracking issues as it doesn't fully "harden", it still retains pliability...........

I had thought about that, but I happened to be at Home Depot already...also, I was looking for something that specifically bonds to plastic since it's on a...high traffic area...
I also thought about getting silk screening ink and just brushing it on...but this was one of those spur of the moment ideas. I'm forseeing some cracking, but I made sure not to put it on too thick because of that. It's "in" the weave enough that I think any cracking will fade off and still leave a decent design. I might just take it with me for the next few rounds I play with friends to give it some use time, as I don't play tourneys often...actually, only played in one so far.
But, I'm going o give it some time to cure before I do any home bendy tests.
But the various fabric paints or screen print inks are probably a better idea, given time for preparation...:D

Last edited:
Stickers too, well, if you have a plotter. Otherwise...it's use is kind of limited. What kind is it? Did you make the mistake of getting the ones with the air channels? :thmbdown:

Yep - air channels... so I have 99% of the two huge rolls 3M sent, just sitting... I thought about trying to hand cut some "simple" stickers since I don't have a plotter, but just haven't done anything yet.

Latest posts