• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Okthrowberfest 2015 - How It's Made

roggenb3

* Ace Member *
Like the other recent contests, this is a thread for the folks that submitted entries to Okthrowberfest to reveal their secrets, if they so choose.

As usual, my first steps were to find the image on google and trace the image onto a clean sheet of paper to use as the stencil. Then it was on to cutting, which was a bear for this disc, especially all the little hairs on Krumm...those really sucked. (Picture 1)

Then the first dye to get on the disc was a black dip. (Picture 2)

If you have read any of my other recent How It's Made type posts, this one follows the same format basically. With black lines between all the areas that need to be colored, you can just weed a couple sections at a time and paint on the dye. Even adjacent sections can be done without a remask - you just need to be careful staying in the lines. I do try to avoid doing adjacent sections at the same time though. I typically use toothpicks instead of paint brushes. (Pictures 3, 4, 5, 6)

Then I did some shading. (Picture 7)

Then masked over the image and where the moon would go to do the background, and added some glue drops for stars. This was the most interesting part for me, since I hadn't really done anything exactly like this before. Which is nerve wracking after spending so long on the disc already. I did something similar on the Clutch disc, transitioning from a red sky to black, so tried to repeat that procedure here. I started by dyeing the top part of the disc deep black. Then I did a fairly deep blue for an inch and half or so below that. The transition was done by painting black a little lower than the division between black and blue and letting that sit for 30 min or so. Then painting black a bit lower than that for 15 min, then a bit lower than that for 10, then 5, then 1. And that procedure was simply repeated for blue to purple, then purple to pink. The pink to orange was done both ways (painting the pink down and the orange up), then a couple shades of red at the bottom. Finally the green at the very bottom. (Picture 8)

Started the moon with a qtip/water application of yellow, then layered it up with yellow, brown, and silver. Then all that was left was a quick black ring around the rim. (Picture 9).

Pics 1-3

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 65
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 67
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 84
Pics 4-6

Attachments

• pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 57
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 58
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 93
Pics 7-9....can't be posted.

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

Awesome work BTW and thanks for the "How its made" on this one. Always nice to see the magic happen, especially on such a huge hand cut undertaking as this!

Haven't seen the real monsters in a long time, guess I gotta up my dyeing game and put Cat-Dog on a disc!

Haven't seen the real monsters in a long time, guess I gotta up my dyeing game and put Cat-Dog on a disc!

My next old school Nickelodeon discs are going to be Reptar from Rugrats, and a Rocco's Modern Life disc. Then maybe Ren and Stimpy. Old Nicktoons are a gold mine of good disc ideas.

Thanks for sharing, roggen! What is your typical mixture for painting?
I'll post a basic how to for my 2 entries here this evening when I have more time.

^Roughly 3/8 teaspoon of powder per 4 oz detergent. Regular Gain detergent. Tried a couple brands of free and clear stuff and did not like the consistency for painting; one was waaay too watery, one was like gel. Gain is just right.

OK.... as promised here is a quick 'how it's made' for my entries this year.
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics along the way but the process for both disc was pretty basic.
"Creepy Crawler" started with the idea of creating the illusion of a 3 dimensional object by use of a strong shadow effect. I googled 'spider' images and was looking for an image that would look like you were looking down on the ground and seeing a spider from (mostly) above. I found a pretty good pic and printed it out to a size that worked and then enhanced and outlined the shadow areas with an old fashioned #6B drawing pencil. I taped the image to the back of a piece of vinyl and cut the outline of the spider and it's shadows directly on a light box (without tracing the image onto the vinyl first). I then weeded just the black shadow areas and did a 15 minute dip in Idye black at 125 degrees. Next I removed the vinyl from the background leaving the spider shape covered. I dipped the (pearly white) disc in an old idye blue mix for about 3 minutes or so. I was expecting light blue but the purplish shade I ended up with was a pleasant surprise so I pulled it and rinsed and dried.
With the background and shadows established it was time to 'simply paint a spider' in the unmasked white spider shaped area. I masked off the highlights in his little spider eyes with a couple small drops of wood glue applied with a toothpick. My basic 'watercolor painting' style dye mix is roughly 1/8 tsp idye powder to 1 1/2 to 2 ounces of acetone. Colors can be custom blended by using a syringe to draw up small amounts of each color and mixing in a separate cup. (When I'm done painting I simply let the acetone evaporate and for my next session I simply pour some fresh acetone into the dried cups of dye) I mixed up a light yellowish/greenish brown tone that I thought would contrast nicely with the lavender background color and just brushed in a light layer to cover all the white. Working from light to dark, I added brown tones and shaded to create the basic shapes and make the legs and body segments more dimensional. Final step was a healthy dose of detail work with a synthetic sable type 6/0 lining brush to create the hairs and emphasize shadows/segments with a strong mix of black.

"Maple Camo" was done very similarly. I started with a basic maple leaf image and printed 2 copies. I taped one over the other slightly offset to create the 'shadow'. Traced the outline of the leaf and it's new shadow with dark pencil to make it easier to see through the vinyl once on the lightbox. Cut the basic stencil and weeded the black shadow areas. Dip in black idye, rinse, dry and then unmask the leaf. (I wanted to do a colored background on this one, but I knew that remasking either the leaf itself or the background would end up lifting some color if I didn't give it time to 'set' before applying vinyl or contact paper over fresh dye. Since I started this one Sunday afternoon, I simply didn't have time)
For the leaf itself I experimented with a new technique. I used a more 'diluted' acetone mix (more acetone, less powder) in a small airbrush. I started with a light wash of yellow over the entire leaf. Rinsed and dried and then used a crayon to draw in the veins....this created a batik-like wax resist for the next step. I followed the yellow with layers of green on the left side and orange on the right. Rinsed and dried and then followed up with airbrushed red mostly on the right side and concentrated at the tips. I then rinsed and used a magic eraser to remove the crayon. Final step was 'drawing' in the darker veins and shading the stem with the small lining brush dipped in orange/red.
I hope this little write up helps explain 'how it's made'. I look forward to seeing other people's results experimenting with these techniques.

Bonkers. Simply bonkers. Makes a lot of sense, as I was truly perplexed on the Maple Camo and how the green shade was underneath the yellow veins.

But, I do feel better now. I actually expected to read, "Magic. I use magic. I am a wizard, and I cast a spell upon a large spider and a fallen maple leaf and whisped their essence into the plastic. Quite simple, really."

^:hfive: Ummmm.... actually it is magic but I didn't figure you muggles would believe me so I made up a likely story. :D

tjd4l.jpg

My next old school Nickelodeon discs are going to be Reptar from Rugrats, and a Rocco's Modern Life disc. Then maybe Ren and Stimpy. Old Nicktoons are a gold mine of good disc ideas.

a Nigel Thornberry dye would be simply smashing!