• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Novice vs intermediate.

JohnEmery

Par Member
When am I not a novice? I'm a beginner but I'm much better than most people I've played with. I understand discs, lines, stability, and form better than anyone I know personally. Any help here would be wonderful. I'm trying to pull the trigger on registering as an intermediate over a novice.

I usually check PDGA ratings...

So if you're playing under 870 or so, play Rec/Novice.
Under 935, Play Int.
Under 970, Play Adv.
Over 970, Play Open.

That's a very loose guideline to follow. But ultimately you can play wherever you want.

In my opinion the biggest difference between a novice rated player and an intermediate rated player is execution and consistency. An experienced and knowledgeable novice player can see the "best" lines for his or her game just as an intermediate player can, but cannot execute them as consistently as the intermediate.

That and putting. I don't recommend intermediate unless you feel comfortable making 80% from within at least 15ft.

Just my 2 cents. The only quantitative way to view it is using the rating system as posted above.

i should go back to rec if my rating allowed me :clap:

In my opinion the biggest difference between a novice rated player and an intermediate rated player is execution and consistency. An experienced and knowledgeable novice player can see the "best" lines for his or her game just as an intermediate player can, but cannot execute them as consistently as the intermediate.

That and putting. I don't recommend intermediate unless you feel comfortable making 80% from within at least 15ft.

Just my 2 cents. The only quantitative way to view it is using the rating system as posted above.

If you are looking for direction for a particular tournament, Pretty easy;

Just compare your typical scored casual round (not best , not worst) to the last event held at that course. (results online at PDGA.com) Then match your score to where you want to land in said division.

TD's get this question all the time for tournament rookies. I normally have the data from the last 2 events on our local courses close by --- easy to match a caller's question/score to the divisional structure.

Ron

Last edited:
When am I not a novice? I'm a beginner but I'm much better than most people I've played with. I understand discs, lines, stability, and form better than anyone I know personally. Any help here would be wonderful. I'm trying to pull the trigger on registering as an intermediate over a novice.

Understand that the "novice" division name has nothing to do with the experience of the players. It's just the (poorly chosen) name of the lowest of 4 amateur divisions. A player can play his first tournament as Advanced, or stay in Novice for 10 years if that's his skill level.

I agree with above post. I prefer the MA1, MA2, MA3, and MA4 division headers from a titling stand point, but it is much easier to remember the names the PDGA has given them when it is being referenced in casual conversation.

I agree that "novice" is a very poorly chosen name for the division. I've been playing almost 7 years, and I'm finally getting my rating up over 800. I'm not a novice, but there's no way I can compete effectively in rec or int. And it's not my putting. I'm at least 80% inside 15 feet now. But the fairays carved through woods are tailored to guys who can throw farther, and make discs do those low turning lines. I can't throw discs hard enough to produce those lines, so I have to lay up at every corner or turn, which adds up to a lot of extra strokes.

The problem is, no one wants to form a novice division because of the name. But when I polled here about changing the name to something else, like "casual," "coed." or "mixed," no one seemed to like that idea. It's too bad they didn't start out calling them "expert," "advanced," "intermediate," and "recreational." It seems to me that would have been ideal.

It's interesting how different areas of the country offer different sets of divisions. Around here all 4 men's amateur divisions are offered in just about every tournament, it seems like a lot of places only offer the top 2 or maybe 3.

It's too bad they didn't start out calling them "expert," "advanced," "intermediate," and "recreational." It seems to me that would have been ideal.

That, or something like it, was the original plan. Some of us thought it even worse than what we have now.

The division names is a huge thread drift; for the O.P. and other new players, I'd confine it to not reading too much into the division names. Think of them by their codes---from top to bottom, MA1, MA2, MA3, MA4---and it'll make more sense to you.

I usually check PDGA ratings...

So if you're playing under 870 or so, play Rec/Novice.
Under 935, Play Int.
Under 970, Play Adv.
Over 970, Play Open.

That's a very loose guideline to follow. But ultimately you can play wherever you want.

If you don't have a PDGA membership how do you find out your rating?

On the PDGA site, search for tournaments played at courses that you've played before. Look for a player that shot a score similar to your average score at that course and then click on "Show Round Ratings" in the lower right corner to see what rating he got for that round. That should give you a good idea, especially if you check several different courses and use your average score and not your best score.

On the PDGA site, search for tournaments played at courses that you've played before. Look for a player that shot a score similar to your average score at that course and then click on "Show Round Ratings" in the lower right corner to see what rating he got for that round. That should give you a good idea, especially if you check several different courses and use your average score and not your best score.

Cool thank you!

I am in the same boat, so somebody correct me if I am wrong. What I do is pull up the rated rounds from a previous tournament or tournaments at the course I am interested in...find several rounds with the same score and take an average. The ratings all seem to change depending on the round...so I figue I can get a range that I would fall into, and it seems to hold pretty true knowing other people's rating and how I play relative to them.

Play some tournaments........or compare the rounds you shoot at a course to the ones that are shot at the "same" course, at the "same" tees, with the "same" number of holes

I always thought comparing your scores (for a newer player) to tournaments you didn't play in were a bad idea.........What if the TD added 5 temp holes? It would make a novice player look like they win open. Also different tees and basket placements (or ob rules) may apply

It can give you a rough estimate though. My best advice to a newer player is to play a league in your area and ask those guys/girls what they think. You won't get a rating, but somebody there (and I use that term loosely) would be able to tell you were about you should start. If you are throwing 350+ and making all your putts within the circle somebody will probably tell you to play intermediate first.

Ultimately if you are that worried, just play novice or rec for your first tourney and if you blow the field away, you might get a little crap, but its your first tourney so I wouldn't worry about it

I can't find where or how to pull up the old turney rounds. :confused:

On the PDGA homepage, in the upper right, there is a search box. I searched for 'Upstate Classic' which is a sanctioned tournament held at my home course.

From the homepage, you can also go to PDGA Tour -> Events Schedule and Results -> Advanced search or here.