• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NYC Disc Golf

ImTaNtRiC

A course is officially being considered by the NYC parks dept. for possibly spring 2012. Staten Island and Brooklyn are being considered for their excess of greenspace and proximity to a large % of population. Hopefully it will be easily accessable by public transportation as well as commutable from NJ, LI, and the other boroughs. My proposal was for the course ammenities to be added in phases starting with an 18 hole basket course with no tree removal, basic signage and natural tees. Followed by upgrading to permanent tees, signage, some landscaping, and relocation of baskets to add more challenge. Although initial cost and revenue were discussed, the main topic remains the value of space in NYC and how the residents would benefit from our sport. Any comments and/or ideas dealing only with the above proposal are welcome... Richard "Tantric" Fancher

Last edited:
How about getting some baskets at Prospect Park first so they can see that it would be utilized etc. The object course is great but would be a lot better with baskets. Or even at Riverside? There's tons of space there. It's hard to get people to leave the island. :)

I grew up in Binghamton, NY and we didn't have disc golf there either. It wasn't until the past few years when I had the opportunity to travel the US on business that I began playing. Now that I live in NYC, I will do my best to develop the sport here. Which I know so many people have attempted before me, but the city can be a hard case. There are many factors that play into the initial location selection. I am hoping by getting the first course approved, more in the near future will follow. I'm sure it will be a a long road on which i'll meet many people. But when the time comes for petitions, publicity, and participation...i hope everyone does their part.

Brooklyn is more public transit friendly for more of NYC than Staten Island, and Prospect Park is likely your best starting point as it already has an established object course. Best of luck.