• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ok so lets be honest...

go throw both of them into a tree as hard as you can ten times and you'll see the difference immediately.

...don't actually do this, you'll ruin the DX bird

Because different plastics interact with the air in a different way (surface texture plays a part here) and especially because even if the mold is the same, the different plastics usually come out of the mold/cool in a different shape. The champ TBs are usually higher PLH, meaning if you place a DX and a Champ TB on a flat surface the wing of the Champ one will be slightly higher from the ground. This leads to them flying more overstable.

I'm beginning to think that it's not just the plastic's friction characteristics and PLH.

It makes sense that the plastic's weight distribution would make a difference as well. Like, you may be able to reduce the thickness of the flightplate on premium plastic discs because of their added durability, which would make them more gyroscopic. Which would make them more overstable at lower speeds, but more glidey at higher speeds (as the Ion and Vector teach us.)

Or, if the premium plastics are more dense, but the manufacturers aren't able to thin the flight plate for some reason, the opposite may be the case. As more dense material would be in the middle of the disc, therefore making it less gyroscopic.

I yearn, (YEARN I tell you) for the day that a professor of physics decides to really dive into disc golf technology, and can shed some definitive light on the subject.

I throw eagles not T birds, but DX bombs. I throw 11x champ, star and DX. my 11x are like baby firebirds that can fly high, my stars are workhorse discs that I throw on 300-340 holes, and my DX go up to 375. So there is a significant difference. As said ealier you may not be getting them up to speed, also an eagle on teebird need lots on height to get max D, which also means you need to get the nose down.

go throw both of them into a tree as hard as you can ten times and you'll see the difference immediately.

...don't actually do this, you'll ruin the DX bird

My DX Teebird has seen way more trees than that, and only gets better with more damage. I thought I'd killed it tacoing it one day, but I bent it as close to flat as I could again and it just got better still. One day, I'll crack it in half, and then probably ace every shot with it in perpetuity.

This may be a little OT but - but I've commented on this before and never got any responses.

I see a lot of comments about the stability of different plastics but not much discussion about the stability at different weights of the same plastic. And I've only seen one manufacturer make any statement about light weights do this, while heavy weights do that.

Which has more affect - weight of plastic.

Back to OP question - I'm just a noob and haven't been playing long enough to seriously beat any disc so I tend to choice the plastic based on feel and durability.

ahh man i thought their might actually be something in this thread. sigh. itll be lost in the pages in a few days.

This may be a little OT but - but I've commented on this before and never got any responses.

I see a lot of comments about the stability of different plastics but not much discussion about the stability at different weights of the same plastic. And I've only seen one manufacturer make any statement about light weights do this, while heavy weights do that.

Which has more affect - weight of plastic.

Back to OP question - I'm just a noob and haven't been playing long enough to seriously beat any disc so I tend to choice the plastic based on feel and durability.

Weight is more relative to getting a disc up to speed rather than stability.

.....I yearn, (YEARN I tell you) for the day that a professor of physics decides to really dive into disc golf technology, and can shed some definitive light on the subject.

I might be able to help you out with that:\. I personally know a physics professor here north of Charlotte in Davidson College, but I doubt he would be interested. I dont think his fields are in polymers anyways, so on second thought: nevermind.... sorry.:|

Latest posts