• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

oklahoma newb...

ssgruvn

Hey everybody. Just wanted to come in and introduce myself. I live in okc about 5 minutes from woodson park (worst course in the city). My best friend has been tryna get me to play for about 10 years, but about 3 months ago when i realized i was out of shape and needed some easy fun exercise, i finally let him and my brother in law talk me into a round and ive been hooked ever since. Im not very good (best final score so far was a 70 at dolese) but i have fun every time i go. Ive already filled up my beginner bag and am looki g to upgrade to a bigger bag soon as i like to have a good selection of discs with me. Unfortunately i work nights and cant find anybody who wants to play after 10 on a weeknight so i dont get to play as often as i want but i usually try to get a round or 2 in on the weekends. I was throwin BH but i wasnt gettin any distance so ive recently switched to sidearm and now im gettin better distance but it kills my arm. Last round i played was all sidearm and i mainly threw my destroyer and firebird and by the time i got to hole 17 my arm was DONE. maybe some of yall can give me some tips on what im doin wrong...

Welcome, here are some facebook groups you should check out...

OKC Area Disc Golf
Sooner Disc Golf
Oklahoma Disc Golf

My advice, get rid of those destroyers and firebirds. Get a teebird and a leopard. Throw those until you can throw them "right". Then work your way back up.

Welcome, here are some facebook groups you should check out...

OKC Area Disc Golf
Sooner Disc Golf
Oklahoma Disc Golf

My advice, get rid of those destroyers and firebirds. Get a teebird and a leopard. Throw those until you can throw them "right". Then work your way back up.

Im actually on okc area disc golf but never saw the other 2.

1 of my destroyers and my firebird are actually my 2 favorite sidearm discs as i get the most distance out of them. I played tuesday afternoon at dolese and up until i got to the monster i shot better than i did the first 2 times i played there, but by the time we got to 14 my arm was done (first time ive ever thrown sidearm for a whole round) so i ended up with an 8 on 14, a 5 on 15 and by the time we got to 16 it was too dark to see so we all took 4s for 16,17, and 18. Im plannin on heading to d mart in a few to grab a used teebird that i saw the other day and couldnt afford. Might grab a leopard while im there too. Ive got a teebird3 but didnt really like how it flew so its comin outta the bag for a while...

And thanx to everybody for the welcome :)

Welcome from another in OKC. Dolo is my home course so I can understand it can take its toll on you. I'm usually out there most days after work but haven't played in a week. PM me if you want to try to get a round in sometime in the near future. I primarily throw FH so I can probably help you in the form department.

The destroyer and firebird are not helping you develop your throw. Those discs are either too fast or too overstable for you right now. That's also causing some of the pain you are experiencing. Right now I would guess you are strong-arming to get those discs to fly. Working with slower discs will help you develop your form faster and won't be as tiring on your arm. Slow is smooth, smooth is far.

Another thing, don't worry about throwing far right now. It's more important to try to improve from round to round. 70 isn't too shabby for you right now. As for the monster, set a goal of 6 on that hole. For as open it is, it's a mentally tough hole.

Gotta keep giving him good tips! Eventually he'll be as hooked as you got when i got you guys out to play! Im sure you can give him great FH tips as well

Welcome from another in OKC. Dolo is my home course so I can understand it can take its toll on you. I'm usually out there most days after work but haven't played in a week. PM me if you want to try to get a round in sometime in the near future. I primarily throw FH so I can probably help you in the form department.

The destroyer and firebird are not helping you develop your throw. Those discs are either too fast or too overstable for you right now. That's also causing some of the pain you are experiencing. Right now I would guess you are strong-arming to get those discs to fly. Working with slower discs will help you develop your form faster and won't be as tiring on your arm. Slow is smooth, smooth is far.

Another thing, don't worry about throwing far right now. It's more important to try to improve from round to round. 70 isn't too shabby for you right now. As for the monster, set a goal of 6 on that hole. For as open it is, it's a mentally tough hole.

How near future are you talkin? Supposed to be playin in norman tomorrow and ill be in moore partyin and watchin the game saturday but i might be up for a round sunday. Dolese is my favorite of the local courses so i take any chance i can get to play there.

I think ur right about the strong armin the firebird and destroyer. When i throw sidearm, i dont step into my shot or anything. Just kinda stand there and flick it lol. I step (or run) into BH shots but ive been told i throw BH too high and thats why i dont get any distance. I grabbed a new g star teebird and a used pro leopard at d mart a little while ago and then stopped at will rogers on my way home to throw hole 1 a couple times and i gotta say, even tho im sure the wind helped, i definitely noticed a difference. First drive with both of them i drove over the ditch and landed probably 60' from the basket. I threw the firebird too and got in about the same spot but it took way more effort.

That 70 at dolo was the first time i played there. The 2nd time i didnt keep score because i was playin with my brother in law just tryna show him the course so i dunno what i shot that day but i did shoot a 5 on the monster throwin my detroyer BH. this last round i shot a 74 overall :-(

And chris im already addicted. Just started playin 3 months ago and already filled up my starter bag and play every chance i get lol

Gotta keep giving him good tips! Eventually he'll be as hooked as you got when i got you guys out to play! Im sure you can give him great FH tips as well

Thanks Chris and no doubt what you say is true. Miss having you around here.

ssgruvn, I should be out at Dolo sometime on Sunday. Don't know when though. I can definitely help you with your FH and can help as well with the BH. I started playing FH only but have moved to a more rounded game by including a decent BH. PM me on Saturday and I'll let you know what my plans are.

#1 at Will can be tricky with that north wind we had today. Congrats making it over the ditch to get a look at a birdie. Your scores will probably drop pretty rapidly if you keep with it. Can't stress enough how important putting is. I would practice that more than anything.

Whenever you are in D-Mart, don't hesitate to ask Dewey (Asian who is about 45) about discs. He knows quite a bit (he plays too) about innova. The other brands he stocks are quite new to him though. Get to know him because he's just a good guy and really likes to help people.

Once again, welcome to the site and the addiction that so many of us suffer from. Oh, and Chris is a really good friend of mine so take what he says with a grain of salt. Although his post was pretty dang truthful.

ssgruvn, I should be out at Dolo sometime on Sunday. Don't know when though. I can definitely help you with your FH and can help as well with the BH. I started playing FH only but have moved to a more rounded game by including a decent BH. PM me on Saturday and I'll let you know what my plans are.

#1 at Will can be tricky with that north wind we had today. Congrats making it over the ditch to get a look at a birdie. Your scores will probably drop pretty rapidly if you keep with it. Can't stress enough how important putting is. I would practice that more than anything.

Whenever you are in D-Mart, don't hesitate to ask Dewey (Asian who is about 45) about discs. He knows quite a bit (he plays too) about innova. The other brands he stocks are quite new to him though. Get to know him because he's just a good guy and really likes to help people.

Once again, welcome to the site and the addiction that so many of us suffer from. Oh, and Chris is a really good friend of mine so take what he says with a grain of salt. Although his post was pretty dang truthful.

Ill pm you my number and if u decide to play sunday, just text me and let me know. My bag stays in the car and i dont have any plans sunday so i can jump on the hwy and be there in 15-20 minutes.

This was only the 2nd time ive been out to will because i normally play with my brother in law and he hates will cuz its too easy. The first time i played there, we played the whole course and then the front 9 again and both times i played hole 1 i shot it into the drainage ditch and on the tee side of the little ditch. No way i was holin out in less than 4 lol...

i never run into the older guy in there. Its always the younger guy and when i ask him anything, he always tells me to ask dewey lol. Even today, i asked him when they were gonna get some more westsides in and he said ask dewey lol...

Forgot to mention, i practice putting every chance i get. I putt a lot here at home. Ive got a big enough back yard to set up a hole but there so much junk back there i lose a disc every time i throw a drive. Theres plenty of poles and trees and barrels to putt at tho. My cousin has somethin like 15 acres out in moore and were tryna setup a 3 hole practice course out there as soon as we can get the materials to build the baskets. Thats where i initially learned to throw FH...